It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison for "apartheid flag"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Last week it became illegal to post the "old" South African flag (now called the "Apartheid Flag", although it hails from 1928).

Apartheid as the policy only began in 1948.

But at least the free speech advocate, Ernst Roets dared to twitter the old flag, and he's now facing jail-time.

www.iol.co.za...

ENCA interview:

edit on 27-8-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Nobody bothered anybody for 25 years. I mean the very few places one could still find one, outside a museum. And then is it just nostalgia for white supremacy? Even Malema et al. have intimated that hospitals and clinics were way better under apartheid. There could be nostalgia for many things.
edit on 27-8-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Seems an awful lot like you're trying to downplay apartheid here by saying some people said 'clinics and hospitals were way better' and that 'nobody bothered anybody for 25 years'.....

edit on 2782019 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Well yeah, clinics were better under apartheid. Does that make apartheid right? No - not in my eyes. Yeah but some things were better, in a fact a lot.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
With 25 years, I mean nobody was triggered or upset by the old flag since our first democratic election in 1994.

Now, 25 years later they come and make an issue of it?

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
And Mama Mia since "they've had it".

I wish I could say otherwise.

But the country is collapsing.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Whatever happened to don't feed the trolls?

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
With 25 years, I mean nobody was triggered or upset by the old flag since our first democratic election in 1994.

That’s actually a fair point and the topic of the thread. It devolved pretty quickly in to the benefits of apartheid though.

No doubt a lot of things were better under apartheid - for you and yours.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

I thought he was serious. Most white South Africans I have met share these views.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   
For example now one hears, an elderly Indian gent, and he had maggots in his mouth.

A sister they put into a bed of stinking, wet piss.

Yeah got clips of that, but not posting it.

Now you never heard that in my youth, from any community.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   
No we had top universities in Africa.

Top teaching too.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
No they wanna put somebody in jail for a Twitter post?

Yip, they do.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   
My wife works with someone who came from South Africa. My wife said she would like to visit sometime. She said she loves it and it will always be her home, but it became so bad it was simply not safe to stay and recommended never to visit. Sad.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

That’s actually a fair point and the topic of the thread. It devolved pretty quickly in to the benefits of apartheid though.

And the goal of ending apartheid should be to bring up everyone's quality of life to that of the top. Instead it seems the result has been to simply drag others down.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Slavery is freedom, Ignorance is strength!

The way to defeat speech that is offensive is with more speech, not with criminalizing speech, that's a short trip to an authoritarian nightmare where people get locked up for making funny dog videos and child molesters walk free like in Air Strip One (the UK) now.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Don't let them turn this into a debate about the flag, you will probably lose, and it's not the issue, the issue is free speech. Many progressives don't yet know that they oppose free speech.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Well yeah, clinics were better under apartheid. Does that make apartheid right? No - not in my eyes. Yeah but some things were better, in a fact a lot.

Things were certainly better for whites.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   

For example now one hears, an elderly Indian gent, and he had maggots in his mouth.

A sister they put into a bed of stinking, wet piss.

Yeah got clips of that, but not posting it.

Now you never heard that in my youth, from any community.

Yes, life was so peachy under apartheid.

www.iol.co.za...

Apartheid was the prime cause of poverty among black people, and the consequence of this was poverty-related illnesses and diseases which resulted in malnutrition, and preventable diseases that killed many thousands of black babies and children. It also caused large numbers of maternal deaths.

Apartheid-related mental disorders, in many instances sparked by forced removals, expulsion to so-called “homelands” and race-reclassification, were common among black and coloured communities. And because of it, TB rates too were much higher among African and coloured people.

All attempts to fight this system were brutally crushed by the state. Thus, on March 21, 1960, 69 people protesting against the Pass Laws in the southern Gauteng township of Sharpeville were gunned down and killed.

And on June 16, 1976, hundreds of school children marching against the apartheid education system suffered a similar fate.

In the 1970s and 1980s, opponents of the system were systematically murdered by the state’s security apparatuses. Many others were detained and tortured.

Ukuba ucinga ukuba ubomi bebungcono, ulula

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

And the goal of ending apartheid should be to bring up everyone's quality of life to that of the top. Instead it seems the result has been to simply drag others down.

At the risk of sounding like a dick here, I gotta ponder...maybe the downward spiral for non-blacks in South Africa is the universe's karmic payback for Apartheid?

Sometimes you gotta choke down your own medicine before things get better?

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

So karma is making things terrible for everyone. Makes sense. Much better than making things better for everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join