It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are tariffs a good thing or bad thing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Consider the following video:

So the video is claiming Chinese tariffs are hurting our lobster and salmon exports to China. Why is this a bad thing! I love lobster and salmon. And if it stops being shipped to Chine then there will be more supply here in the United States. And if there is more supply then the price will drop!!!

I guarantee you there is a price where lobsters and salmon would fly off the shelves. Trump tariffs are probably the best thing that has happened in this country in my lifetime!! BRING ON THE LOBSTER!!!! BRING ON SALMON!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I loved when they stopped buying pork and pork loin was $2.99 a lb, it's so easy to make and so delicious. The thing to remember when they are crying about the tariffs that the criers never mention is that the tariffs are only temporary until the Chinese make and keep a deal that is fair for both sides.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
That's an honest point of view! I'm sure the lobster and salmon exporters will disagree but I'm all for lower prices at home.

edit on 8-26-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

link   
Double post
edit on 8-26-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

link   

Here in the mid west they are wring their hands over possible loss of grain and beef sales. Maybe if they sold this glut here instead of there I wont be paying 3 bucks for a loaf of bread and I wont even talk about what a nice brisket costs.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Tariffs are a tool. Not just a mere policy and certainly not good or bad. It depends on how they're used. It's one of the few things nations can do to get compliance without shooting at each other. The flip side is that tariffs can get you in a war if the intent is only punitive without an exit strategy or negotiation beyond the tariffs.

It is very clear that Trump would rather fight economically than militarily. Which is good. We need to have this fight. China cannot be allowed to continue doing what it's doing (with tacit and overtly stated pleasure) and expect someone like Donald Trump to ignore the problem. Dude has been talking about this for 30 years and we're finally doing something about it.
edit on 8 26 2019 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbobby

I loved when they stopped buying pork and pork loin was $2.99 a lb, it's so easy to make and so delicious. The thing to remember when they are crying about the tariffs that the criers never mention is that the tariffs are only temporary until the Chinese make and keep a deal that is fair for both sides.

As long as the Chinese peg the Yuan 7 to 1 against the dollar IT will never be fair. I think we should have a tariff system automatically triggered and proportionally set by the amount of trade imbalance. How else can our nation response to Chinese currency manipulation?

If you think having a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair then what math class do you have that did not include the study of the equality sign????

edit on 26-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Tariffs are a tool. Not just a mere policy and certainly not good or bad. It depends on how they're used. It's one of the few things nations can do to get compliance without shooting at each other. The flip side is that tariffs can get you in a war if the intent is only punitive without an exit strategy or negotiation beyond the tariffs.

It is very clear that Trump would rather fight economically than militarily. Which is good. We need to have this fight. China cannot be allowed to continue doing what it's doing (with tacit and overtly state pleasure) and expect someone like Donald Trump to ignore the problem. Due has been talking about this for 30 years and we're finally doing something about it.
You said it best.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Here in the mid west they are wring their hands over possible loss of grain and beef sales. Maybe if they sold this glut here instead of there I wont be paying 3 bucks for a loaf of bread and I wont even talk about what a nice brisket costs.

Again, when I paying $15 per pound for steak in a New Jersey Wegmans I guarantee you there's a market here to sell your products. I'm surprise no one has figure out a way to bypass the Super market distribution system have midwest products sell directly to Northeast consumers and probably double their profits!

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Gotta say, you have your moments.

It's like you're ready to MAGA.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

It is very clear that Trump would rather fight economically than militarily. Which is good. We need to have this fight. China cannot be allowed to continue doing what it's doing (with tacit and overtly state pleasure) and expect someone like Donald Trump to ignore the problem. Due has been talking about this for 30 years and we're finally doing something about it.
You said it best.

You don't think my proportional system is not a better long term solution. It's fair because it's impartial to politics.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"If you think having a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair then what math class do you have that did not include the study of the equality sign???? "

Where did I say anything about "a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair "? Perhaps a remedial Reading class is in order?

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Gotta say, you have your moments.

It's like you're ready to MAGA.

I never not been MAGA. You misunderstand me all these years. I don't care which tactics are used. Laissez faire capitalism or communism makes no difference to me. As long as the purchasing power of the consumer dollar starts rising again everything will eventually turn out okay.

Purchasing Power of the Consumer Dollar Graph of the Last 50 Years

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Depends . Nothing but a " Resolve " to Get What you Want from Someone you just KNOW you can Wait Out for What you Crave . Law of the Jungle Egg Head , Survival Of The Fittest Personified...........

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I can respect that position.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbobby

"If you think having a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair then what math class do you have that did not include the study of the equality sign???? "

Where did I say anything about "a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair "? Perhaps a remedial Reading class is in order?

Really? Whatever the number is the amount of products the Chinese sell is slightly higher than what we sell them there.

"Exports were $179.3 billion; imports were $557.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $378.6 billion in 2018."

Oh, I was off. Wait a few years.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Depends . Nothing but a " Resolve " to Get What you Want from Someone you just KNOW you can Wait Out for What you Crave . Law of the Jungle Egg Head , Survival Of The Fittest Personified...........

As long as I can buy cheap lobster and cheap salmon I say eff the Chinese.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
That's an honest point of view! I'm sure the lobster and salmon exporters will disagree but I'm all for lower prices at home.

I'm just waiting for someone to argue the importance of free-trade. I don't see anything wrong with cheap lobster and cheap salmon. But I'm waiting for someone to explain to me why driving up the price of lobster and salmon is a good thing.

edit on 26-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Thank you for the summary because I barely rarely if ever watch videos .

In the land of instant gratification I suppose tariffs are a bad thing .

Looking back over the last couple decades tariffs were definitely a bad thing. But I’m talking about China’s .

Looking towards the future and winning this battle on tariffs is a great thing. Because it will level playing field for future generations .

Looking towards the future and hoping the tariffs will fail because of personal animosity is a bad thing . Because it sacrifices our children’s future and is cheering on pain for all Americans .

On a scale of 1 to 10 concerning facetious post on serious issues. You get a potato . (Jk)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Well, facetious to you. But for me over the last few years I've seen my food costs double.

I am all for getting rid of tariffs as long as OUR tariffs are proportional based on trade imbalance. I'm sick and tired of hearing about the importance of free-trade when it means the American consumer gets screwed with higher prices.

<<   2  3 >>

join