It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are Dead To The Law - We Are Delivered From The Law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
We are dead to the law, that is a fact! Why do so many Christians misunderstand this? It's because the false teachers of today twist the Scriptures to make it look like the LAW is dead, instead of US being dead to the law. What does this mean? The law itself demands the death of the sinner. Because Jesus died for our sins, and took our place, to the law, we are not dead. Does this mean that we can break the law now? No, for he that sins willfully has no more sacrifice for sins. And according to Paul in Romans 7:7 the obeying the law IS NOT sin.

Hebrews 10:26  For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Romans 7:6-7  But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.  7  What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ScatteredThirdAngel

You may be. I choose to hold fast to the law of men and [god].
I have friends who do the same. Of many religions.

A convenient of what is right and lawful propels us.
I'm sorry you choose otherwise.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I have always had trouble rendering the scriptures with regards the sexes. An example is what was contained in the video. Have a slow look at the video again. The laws are aimed at men. They make women look like the temptresses batting their eyelids. Do not covert them.

Men, "Don't behave badly." Thou shalt not covert thy neighbors wife. How about, in the interests of today's sexuality there is, "Thou shalt not covert thy neighbors partner."

The scriptures were written in the days of men, sure. Time to adjust. Either rewrite the commandments to include women or then Christianity is lost. Makes out that men are the evil doers and women are their temptation. That's my thoughts.

Kind regards,

bally

edit on 26-8-2019 by bally001 because: comprehension

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The point of "dead to the law" is that we and the law are separated. Paul begins Romans ch7 with the analogy of marriage- once one partner (either partner) is dead, they are no longer married.
There's also a useful distinction in Romans ch3 v27 between "the law of works", which no longer applies, and "the law of faith". The "law of works" is another term for the Mosaic written code. Being under the law of faith is another way of saying "we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit" (Romans ch7 v6). You musn't be one of those people who discard the Holy Spirit of God because they prefer to live in the shackles of the written code.

edit on 26-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
But
Galatians 5/14
For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

We are called to love
Pretty amazing

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The law is about conflict resolution, I don't see that dying anytime soon. If anything is dead it is reality with all the lies and tactics to avoid responsibility. There will always be a law, you might not like it, agree with it or understand it. But it is there.

If we cannot fix and upgrade the law to be more responsible, fairer and just, it will descend back into the jungle from where it came.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The point of "dead to the law" is that we and the law are separated. Paul begins Romans ch7 with the analogy of marriage- once one partner (either partner) is dead, they are no longer married.

I had no idea what the quote passages were talking about. I can relate to this idea. My first marriage was a kind of death to my spirit. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting my half of the $30,000 she took from our joint checking account anytime soon.

This always been my problem with the Bible. It's difficult to read because it uses strange words. It's too ambiguous. And I have a very difficult time relating to the day to day problems of goat herders. I have found morality is sometimes very difficult to navigate in modern times. What is right and what is wrong is not always clear cut. If the Bible were truly the divine word of God it would be written to be a little more independent of its historical context.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I will comment on the OP. I have no idea what the passage means. However, I am pretty confident the first sentence of the OP, "We are dead to the law, that is a fact!" Is not a fact but is expressing an opinion. Just because something you say is your own opinion, and it is a fact that is your opinion, does not imply it is a fact for everyone else. I think this is a huge problem today. People think their opinions are facts. The fact is thinking your opinion is fact is not good.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Data's correct

Faith...is counted as Rightousness.....

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Colossians 2:16-17

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

You might want to stop and think about how pushing the Saturday Sabbath is a fleshly and worldly thought instead of a spiritual one. Seek God and his Holy Spirit and these worldly and fleshly practices won't consume your earthly mind so much. God is not bound by time and He could not care less which day of the week you rest or worship Him on.

You might want to do some research on the verses above.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yes.

When religion started it helped establish the rules of the culture, don't kill and stuff. Now we have the government drawing the line between right and wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

I have always had trouble rendering the scriptures with regards the sexes. An example is what was contained in the video. Have a slow look at the video again. The laws are aimed at men. They make women look like the temptresses batting their eyelids. Do not covert them.

Men, "Don't behave badly." Thou shalt not covert thy neighbors wife. How about, in the interests of today's sexuality there is, "Thou shalt not covert thy neighbors partner."

The scriptures were written in the days of men, sure. Time to adjust. Either rewrite the commandments to include women or then Christianity is lost. Makes out that men are the evil doers and women are their temptation. That's my thoughts.

Kind regards,

bally

The society of the Old Testament times regarded women as property. That's why they aren't mentioned, dude.

Women couldn't even be used as witnesses in a trial. Even what women SAID, what they spoke, wasn't valued.

That's why the gospels' accounts of the women finding Jesus's tomb empty was remarkable- because society didn't consider women as worthy witnesses. The thought is that the account of the empty tomb must be true, because why would a group of people make up a story and use WOMEN as the witnesses?

It was the followers of Jesus who started the culture of treating women differently. When Paul said that everyone was equal in Christ- slave, free, man, woman- it was radical for the time.

Context is key.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yes.

When religion started it helped establish the rules of the culture, don't kill and stuff. Now we have the government drawing the line between right and wrong.

Religion probably has done more harm than good. Once the people in the next province are labeled as "heretics", "non-believers", and "in league with Satan" then the 10 Commandments are toilet paper.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I know the Bible is a hard book to read these days, got half way through genesis till it done my head in. There are many good stories in it that I have picked up over the years. The basic things Jesus said where revolutionary for the day, do the right thing, don't be a #. How our culture has picked it up and worked with it for the past 2K years deserves some respect. It took a lot of work to make the first books, you are not going to waste your time speaking rubbish.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Look, I get it that the essential message of the Bible is morality is important. But I have a brain. Do you honestly think our omnipotent God did not know exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about? I think He knew.

And if you accept Jesus rose from the dead then He did not really die. So no harm no foul. On top of that if Jesus is God then you cannot kill God anyway.

Please forgive for thinking such things.

As I told you I have terrible brain. It haunts with things like can God have a thought so complex that even She can't understand it? The answer is of course yes because the essence of the meaning of having omnipotent powers is not having any limitations.

Or the idea the only way to truly have morality as a test is to be able to control our choices by having omnipotent powers. Since humans have limitations our choices are dictated to us. How can we pass any morality test if we are doomed to fail because we have no control over our choices?

Again, please forgive me. I am trying to be reverent but my brain will not calm down! Every time I try there's a little voice inside my head that raises it's hand and must express some kind of precociousness. If there were God of precociousness that would be my God. Again, I apologize to anyone who is offended by my stupid tests of faith.

edit on 26-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There's a core concept that people seem to overlook. Sin is transgression of the law. Always has been, always will be. God never changes (see Hebrews 13:8, Malachi 3:6, Proverbs 19:21, just to name a few).

Romans 6:1-18 explains sin vs grace quite well.

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

What Raggedyman posted is expanded upon in Matthew 22:35-40. Jesus own words.

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus compressed the law into two main concepts. Love God and love your neighbor. As He said, all law hangs on these two. In the Ten Commandments, we see that the first four commandments are about loving God and the last six are about loving your neighbor.

If that's not proof enough that the law is eternal, check out Revelation 22 where Jesus makes no bones about it. In the last book and last verses of the Bible, Jesus gives a message of utmost importance. He even asserts His authority to emphasize it.

11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

There are some powerful statements in these verses. Jesus is being direct and to the point. He even references the Ten Commandments by listing several in one sentence. The fact that He would end the sentence in "whosoever loveth and maketh a lie". This shows how Jesus knew that there would be people trying to dismiss the law by misinterpreting scripture. They do in fact love the lie that you aren't held accountable. Layers upon layers in these verses.

It doesn't take much to dig into the Bible and refute the idea that the law was done away with.

We're seeing end time prophecy being fulfilled at a rapid pace. Now, more than ever, it's important that we listen to what Jesus is telling us about the law.
edit on 29-8-2019 by Freth because: Minor edits, visual improvements.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Freth
The question is- which law? There is more than one available.
"The law of works or the law of faith?" (Romans ch4 v27)
The "written code" which Paul is always criticising (and Jesus also disagrees with it at times) is what he means by the "law of works".
The law which God actually wants us to obey is the "law of faith", whcih is less detailed but more fundamental. "Love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself" has been offered as a summary.

edit on 29-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Born of water and Spirit one becomes dead to the law because there is no law against the Spirit.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

what I find great about Romans 7-8 is that I can now obey the law without the resulting death and sin. Because my salvation is in Christ and once my soul is not longer connected to my flesh following the law is for good living and not for salvation. look what it says about a saved man he can serve Christ with his mind and can now follow law without any resulting sin and death.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
All of what I am not sure if I am getting it across, but all the ten commandments but Sabbath observance was taught by Paul. There is now a place where we can do those laws without any sin and death that normally came by the law. We are free from the result of observing law of Moses, which is the recognition of sin and ts resulting in death. For the Christian it is life.

If everyone could live by the ten our world would be a better place. When a majority of people followed them in America you could leave keys in your car, houses unlocked, you didn't need to worry about your children when they walked to the store or for their safety at school. Today the majority live by what ever one feels is right in his own eyes. So it is messed up. Judges is a great example of a man, a world or a nation that lives that way.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That''s not religion doing that, that's pride.

Some people think God is slender man and need to kill a friend to prove they are his minions.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Freth

God doesn’t change, the law was made for man and man not for the law
Guess where that comes from

Also God doesn’t change
In Isaiah God rebuked the sacrifice, God wants relationship
If a person has a relationship with God they change or should over time

The law exists but not for Christians, we are under grace, the new covenant
That’s called the gospel, that’s the good news

The law kills, Jesus redeems

The 10 commandments are the Mosaic law,

Can someone tell me what other Mosaic laws they think I should undertake and what ones Incan ignore

Can you Freth?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join