It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the big one Seismic activity in Pacific Northwest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
www.kiro7.com...

A major seismic event is underway, and scientists at the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network are saying the Puget Sound could be at a higher risk for earthquakes.

I've lived in that area, and I have visited. Every single time I'm in the Pacific Northwest I feel unsettled. I get the same feeling in Florida. I don't know what it is. There is something about the Cascadia fault that is just terrifying. The really scary thing is that the Cascadia fault line wan't even recognized as an active fault until 20 or so years ago. So if you can imagine.... how many buildings are built in that zone??? .

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If there was ever a shtf scenario, this would be it.
Look at the timelines on that chart!

www.infrastructureusa.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It is obviously going to happen one day and maybe sooner than later.

Cant find the link but there was a news story out Monday about 65 earthquakes over the weekend in Oklahoma and Kansas and what makes that weird is Kansas isnt an active earthquake zone. May be the Madrid fault line acting up, I dont know.

Interestng comment about Florida. I always feel uncomfortable there, but cant say really why.
Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.kiro7.com...

A major seismic event is underway, and scientists at the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network are saying the Puget Sound could be at a higher risk for earthquakes.

I've lived in that area, and I have visited. Every single time I'm in the Pacific Northwest I feel unsettled. I get the same feeling in Florida. I don't know what it is. There is something about the Cascadia fault that is just terrifying. The really scary thing is that the Cascadia fault line wan't even recognized as an active fault until 20 or so years ago. So if you can imagine.... how many buildings are built in that zone??? .

As a person who moved to downtown Seattle from Chicago 3 years ago, I worry about this often. Its not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN a major EQ (and subsequent tsunami) decimate the PNW. I live on the wrong side of the I5 in downtown Seattle near the Sound, up on the 25th floor of my 41 story building... If a Big EQ hits, its assumed most buildings between the Pugent Sound and I5 will be destroyed, not to mention liquification will likely happen, mudslides and many other potential natural disasters being triggered. I bought hundreds of dollars in survival gear over the past few years. My gf thinks I'm a little crazy, but I tell her I bought all this in hopes I never need to use it. its for the "worst case scenario", when we are on our own to survive a few days - maybe up to a week... she laughs it off, but I also think its due to her ignorance for not truly knowing/understanding how devastating a the cascadia subduction zone is if it decides to go off. A 9+ would decimate the area, all the floating bridges would fall in the water cutting off access in/out of the city.. it would be a total mess... a mess i pray i dont see in my lifetime..
edit on 22-8-2019 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Who knows, living in Seattle might be safer than Chicago these days
(I've Lived in Chicago too)

The one thing Seattle really has going against it is the Seattle freeze.
One of the best ways to survive a disaster is to have like minded people helping.
There, it is seems to each their own... Good for you for at least preparing

edit on 22-8-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Living where I do, all I can say is that I'll have a front row seat to the end of my world.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Living where I do, all I can say is that I'll have a front row seat to the end of my world.

Electricity out for 3-6 months. I can't even imagine.. People in my town are screaming after an hour. We have very reliable service and people have become very accustomed to it. The medical is what will probably do most people in, 18 months!

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Wow 9.0! have any idea how they came up with that number if it was back in the 1700?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12

Wow 9.0! have any idea how they came up with that number if it was back in the 1700?

I'm sure it is not exact, but most likely an educated guess based on soil and other features studied in the area.
9.0 would be very, very rare, but still possible.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Electricity out for 3-6 months. I can't even imagine.. People in my town are screaming after an hour. We have very reliable service and people have become very accustomed to it. The medical is what will probably do most people in, 18 months!

pfft.

We'd be smushed by the tidal wave long before having to worry 'bout electricity.

I just say, "Surf to Denver!"

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

If there was ever a shtf scenario, this would be it.
Look at the timelines on that chart!

www.infrastructureusa.org...

The middle of the Juan de Fuca to the center area started having 4's quakes this year and we had this one in June
M 5.4 - Off the coast of Oregon
Time
2019-06-22 13:00:17 (UTC)
This one in July
M 5.4 - 227km W of Bandon, Oregon
2019-07-17 14:59:59 (UTC)

The 4 plus quakes have continued from Canada to the opposite end since then, I have not seen this before and I have been watching for years.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-8-2019 by SeaWorthy because: Lol major spelling error

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yeah that sounds right that's the only thing I could think of is geology surveying and samples.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

You sound pretty in the know about this stuff.

What do you think?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

www.kiro7.com...

As a person who moved to downtown Seattle from Chicago 3 years ago, I worry about this often. Its not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN a major EQ (and subsequent tsunami) decimate the PNW. I live on the wrong side of the I5 in downtown Seattle near the Sound, up on the 25th floor of my 41 story building... If a Big EQ hits, its assumed most buildings between Puget Sound and I5 will be destroyed, not to mention liquification will likely happen, mudslides and many other potential natural disasters being triggered. I bought hundreds of dollars in survival gear over the past few years.

OK, so you live on the 25th floor of a building in downtown Seattle, a place where there is a tremendous amount of fill (though perhaps not at the site of your building.) So do you have plans for digging all this survival gear out of the rubble before use? Plus, assuming people survive, you'll have a whole lot of competition for resources.

Frankly, the best thing you can do right now is move.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

All I can think about is that big underground tunnel..ugggg
something about that isn't right. Can you even imagine that during an earthquake. I'd take my chances in a high rise over
that tunnel any day.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

something about that isn't right. Can you even imagine that during an earthquake. I'd take my chances in a high rise over
that tunnel any day.

Well, it's a lot safer than the viaduct it replaced.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

www.kiro7.com...

As a person who moved to downtown Seattle from Chicago 3 years ago, I worry about this often. Its not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN a major EQ (and subsequent tsunami) decimate the PNW. I live on the wrong side of the I5 in downtown Seattle near the Sound, up on the 25th floor of my 41 story building... If a Big EQ hits, its assumed most buildings between Puget Sound and I5 will be destroyed, not to mention liquification will likely happen, mudslides and many other potential natural disasters being triggered. I bought hundreds of dollars in survival gear over the past few years.

OK, so you live on the 25th floor of a building in downtown Seattle, a place where there is a tremendous amount of fill (though perhaps not at the site of your building.) So do you have plans for digging all this survival gear out of the rubble before use? Plus, assuming people survive, you'll have a whole lot of competition for resources.

Frankly, the best thing you can do right now is move.

The building im in is hopefully up to code for a large tremor, considering it was built only 2 years ago. But I'm not sure if ANY building could truly be built up to the standards to withstand a 9+ EQ... Moving right now, unfortunately, isn't an option. Major cities present a million dangers, and they aren't all from the natural disasters going off around you. In survival mode, every man is for themselves, so who knows how crazy a major city like Seattle would go If/When SHTF... So many people around me live with the mentality "out of sight, out of mind", I cant live that way.. They all believe, if it happens, it happens, no reason to worry about it... I'm just wired differently, haha.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

that tunnel any day.

You were screwed either way, if you were on the Viaduct above ground, you would be pancaked when the large EQ hits... with the tunnel system, you will be dealing with the likelihood of the tunnel collapsing in on itself, with all the water from the Pugent sound rushing in... Both ways sucks, IMO... haha

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

that tunnel any day.

You were screwed either way, if you were on the Viaduct above ground, you would be pancaked when the large EQ hits... with the tunnel system, you will be dealing with the likelihood of the tunnel collapsing in on itself, with all the water from the Pugent sound rushing in... Both ways sucks, IMO... haha

They say the tunnel can handle an earthquake, but I guess you never really know... I've seen the model where it is shaking and handling that ok. What they don't show is what happens when building crash on top, or water intrusion.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I'll make the tacos.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join