It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli data scientist creates a visual representation of Hamas missile launches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Yoav Tepper, an Israeli data scientist, created a visual representation of missiles lunched by Hamas into Israel, using kepler.gl.
Keep in mind that some of these rockets are intercepted by Iron Dome air defense system.

You can rotate the map using the right mouse button. Use the bar on the bottom of the map to see the timeline.

Hamas rocket launches into Israel

Note when exploring the animated data:
While the launch destination is an exact GPS coordinate, the exact launch source was added only for aesthetic purposes and it is not accurate.
The interactive map also shows missiles that were lunched from Syria as part of the Syrian civil war and landed in Israel by mistake.

Link to the article explaining the methodology - Rocket (Data) Science

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxMech

Note when exploring the animated data:
While the launch destination is an exact GPS coordinate, the exact launch source was added only for aesthetic purposes and it is not accurate.

So, what is the point then? I'm not sure I understand the significance of this graphic with the stated disclaimer. Can you explain further?

ETA - In other words, It would seem those "aesthetic purposes" fall into the category of 'propaganda' to this casual observer. Or, am I looking at it incorrectly?

BTW...my first reaction to this graphic was...zero in on the source coordinates and initiate a "scorched earth" campaign by carpet bombing that location day and night until it is reduced to twisted smoldering rubble.
edit on 8/22/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

So, what is the point then? I'm not sure I understand the significance of this graphic with the stated disclaimer. Can you explain further? ETA - In other words, It would seem those "aesthetic purposes" fall into the category of 'propaganda' to this casual observer. Or, am I looking at it incorrectly?

The launch destination is publicly available information. According to the creator of this tool, it was acquired on this website: www.oref.org.il....
Home Front Command is a military arm which, among other things, is responsible for alerting the relevant municipality of an incoming missile attack. So for example, when a missile is lunched towards Jerusalem, a siren will be activated only in Jerusalem, instructing the civil population to hide in bomb shelters. This is done by identifying a launch from Gaza and calculating the trajectory in real time.

On the other hand, the exact launch source is not publicly available information. It is only known that the rocket originated from Gaza, but not the exact location in Gaza.

You can remove the 'Edges' layer from the interactive map, and you will no longer see the arcs. Only the destination points will remain.

BTW...my first reaction to this graphic was...zero in on the source coordinates and initiate a "scorched earth" campaign by carpet bombing that location day and night until it is reduced to twisted smoldering rubble.

Rockets are launched from all over Gaza. Gazan population is approaching 2 million people, with density over 5,000/km2.
There is no practical way to do what you suggested.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxMech

You missed my point in the last part. What I was suggesting was, if there was a concentrated point of origin (as the "aesthetics" in the graphic suggest) then that should be the point to be leveled.

If the graphic's author wanted to be more accurate he would show the launch points as random points throughout the region rather than one point. In that case I would agree with you, but that's not what the graphic suggests, hence a misleading graphic.

As to strategy...the reason this tactic would have results is because innocent people would be telling these terrorists..."NOT in my back yard are you going to be launching rockets!!" In other words, they wouldn't want their own neighborhood to be leveled.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I see what you mean. In this regard, the graphic is indeed misleading. And this is why the author made that note, about the launch source not being accurate.

As to strategy...the reason this tactic would have results is because innocent people would be telling these terrorists..."NOT in my back yard are you going to be launching rockets!!" In other words, they wouldn't want their own neighborhood to be leveled.

The thing with Hamas is they are not just a terror organization. They actualy rule Gaza.
To me it only make sense that the Gazan people would rebel against their government, and indeed they tried several times in the past. But as Hamas are controlling all the weapons in the strip, and kill or torture any political opposition (and obviously refuse to hold any elections), we can only wish for this revolution to happen sometime in the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Guys, we deal with crime and murder in the streets every day here (or at least Chicago).

But rockets and mortar attacks.... Seriously, if this were happening here what would we do?

Scorched earth policies didn't work so great in Vietnam and have been somewhat successful in the ME.

What Would We Do If This Were Happening In Our Own Country? Nuke the jihadis in MN & MI? Do a "Swalwell"?

Why Cant We Just Get Along Together and live in Peace instead of pieces and feces?

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

It didn't work in Vietnam because it's a completely different culture where people don't live in large groups. Vietnam was a patchwork of small sparsely populated villages separated by miles of jungle. The ME is different with large people clustering together because of the harsh environment outside of these developments.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
As much as I hate to say it, I think the only solution for peace is genocide.... either Israel is destroyed or the Palestinians are.

I don't ever see them living in peace. Primarily because of the Palestinians. Regardless, I don't see any other solutions. When the Palestinians hate Israel more than they love their own children, there is no peaceful solution imho.

Israel has to basically decimate pretty much the entire Palestinian population. As long as there are millions of people being ruled by anti-semitic nutjobs living in deplorable conditions who also believe they have a rightful claim to Israel, the conflict will never end...

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
Guys, we deal with crime and murder in the streets every day here (or at least Chicago).

But rockets and mortar attacks.... Seriously, if this were happening here what would we do?

Scorched earth policies didn't work so great in Vietnam and have been somewhat successful in the ME.

What Would We Do If This Were Happening In Our Own Country? Nuke the jihadis in MN & MI? Do a "Swalwell"?

Why Cant We Just Get Along Together and live in Peace instead of pieces and feces?

ganjoa

If the gangbangers in Chicago were killing tourist on Michigan avenue, you best believe there would be a scorched earth policy. However, right now, they are largely just killing themselves so no one really cares. One thug shoots another thug.

I've long felt the best way to deal with the gangs is a scorched earth policy. Literally make it impossible for any of them to hang on a block. Harsh sentences. Make them fear the police more than they fear their own rival gangs.

The problem is once police take a harsh stand, you will get all the grandmas and civil rights leaders coming out the woodwork complaining about police brutality, etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
As much as I hate to say it, I think the only solution for peace is genocide.... either Israel is destroyed or the Palestinians are.

I don't ever see them living in peace. Primarily because of the Palestinians. Regardless, I don't see any other solutions. When the Palestinians hate Israel more than they love their own children, there is no peaceful solution imho.

Israel has to basically decimate pretty much the entire Palestinian population. As long as there are millions of people being ruled by anti-semitic nutjobs living in deplorable conditions who also believe they have a rightful claim to Israel, the conflict will never end...

Well according to yasser arafatt on a hot mike they are not really Palestinian and the PLO and KGB created them from surrounding areas exiles and refugees because they can't beat Israel in a war,but can play victim and get the UN to eventually take land back that way.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

It didn't work in Vietnam because it's a completely different culture where people don't live in large groups. Vietnam was a patchwork of small sparsely populated villages separated by miles of jungle. The ME is different with large people clustering together because of the harsh environment outside of these developments.

Absolutely concur with your assessments.
I'm just gobsmacked by the prospect of having to deal with that kind of internal warfare here in the US.
Yeah, street thugs and cartels are bad news, but like Flying Monkeys, it's all fun & games 'til the rockets rain.
We The People don't have any experience dealing with this level of wmd-type violence - among ourselves.
Military & other operators haven't had to deal with situations involving our own people, so the enemy mindset carries quite a bit of baggage when it comes to collateral damage.
Best we can do is have tech to detect rocket launch / trace to source & warn targets early. Ouch.

ganjoa

Hope

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Jesus.. you really drank that koolaid.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well, Israel is not interested in peace. What is often ignored in MSM is how Israel treats Palestinians. Shooting unarmed Palestinians. Women children and all. Shot in ths groin to terrify. Accuracy and intent confirmed by israeli generals.

Hamas is a terrorist group, but so is the israeli military.

How has it been successful in the ME?????. Large amounts of terrorism still happen every week. Killing women children in an attempt to pacify the terrorists ALWAYS creates more terrorists.

This doesn't happen in yhe U.S. because we haven't built a religious country that condemns another group of people inyo a ever-decreasing ghetto.

Israel is doing this to themselves. I don't condone hamas, but to say israeli government is innocent is just absurd.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

O yea cause the war on drugs worked... Keep lockin up black kids for 15 years on a marijuana or coke charges while the CIA pushes the same product in south America.

Why not just become the phillipeans and shoot drug dealers in the street?

Keep watchin that fox news and rush limbaugh.. Praise your war loving gods..

Just do everything but think for yourself.

edit on 22-8-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I wonder what a map of Israeli airstrikes in Gaza would look like , perhaps Mr Tepper could make that his next project.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Hamas reaffirmed it's charter not that many years ago. In addition to the goal of the genocide of all Jews and the eradication of Israel, we, the Great Satan are also in their cross hairs as are all Christians and Western democracies.

Hamas is in complete control of Gaza. They place their weapons in schools and hospitals or under them. They recruit women and children, not just men. How would you personally defend against that if you controlled Israel?

Even Jordan and the Saudi's want no part of the self proclaimed Palestinians. There are 18 Muslims on the Knesset if memory serves. Many Palestinians live in Israel without issue. In fact I actually know one Palestinian family in Idaho who are from Israel. They go once a year to visit family inside Israel and told me themselves that "the Palestinians are crazy". They told me that when they go they have to sneak into Jordan to see family there because the Jordanians will not let Palestinians over the border knowingly. They are happy living in and support Israel and they are treated like anyone else.

It's not all black and white and buying into the anti-Zionist, antisemitic rhetoric is intellectually dishonest. It benefits Hamas who seems to be the extreme Lefts darlings at the moment.

Of course there are bad players in Israel and in any country on the planet. They are however defending against a genuine threat; a threat that want's every man woman and child of them dead. That would tend to make some a bit pissed off and afraid.

Who do you think puts those women and children in harms way? Their name starts with an H. They want women and children hurt and do their best to make it happen for propaganda, because they know the world is full of people who still hate Jews, who will eat it up.

Until Hamas is dealt with, there will never be a path to peace and yet so many give aid to Hamas by participating in the propaganda. The situation is a complex one and people try to make it simple. Israel bad, Palestinians good and Hamas, what Hamas.

On top of that antisemitism is seeing a resurgence in the West. Were I a Jew I'd be concerned. Were I a Jew living in Israel with Hamas lobbing missiles into residential area's, I might overreact also. It's not happening for no reason.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You missed my point in the last part. What I was suggesting was, if there was a concentrated point of origin (as the "aesthetics" in the graphic suggest) then that should be the point to be leveled.

If the graphic's author wanted to be more accurate he would show the launch points as random points throughout the region rather than one point. In that case I would agree with you, but that's not what the graphic suggests, hence a misleading graphic.

LOL “backyard”?? As if Gaza and the West Bank aren’t ruins and refugee camps and endless checkpoints behind walls.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Well, Israel is not interested in peace. What is often ignored in MSM is how Israel treats Palestinians. Shooting unarmed Palestinians. Women children and all. Shot in ths groin to terrify. Accuracy and intent confirmed by israeli generals.

Hamas is a terrorist group, but so is the israeli military.

How has it been successful in the ME?????. Large amounts of terrorism still happen every week. Killing women children in an attempt to pacify the terrorists ALWAYS creates more terrorists.

This doesn't happen in yhe U.S. because we haven't built a religious country that condemns another group of people inyo a ever-decreasing ghetto.

Israel is doing this to themselves. I don't condone hamas, but to say israeli government is innocent is just absurd.

Strawman much?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Who was talking about such a policy in the US??

I was talking about the ME.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

So it's okay to shoot unarmed protesters because of Hamas?

The only reason i bring up the israeli military crimes and not Hamas is because what is done against Palestinians is rarely talked about.

Antisemitism is on the rise? Very few western politicians speak out against Israel. Labeling anyone who dears question israel as an anti-semite is more of a problem than the handful of real anti-semitic people in the West.

You condemn Hamas for violence, but somehow the israeli military gets a pass for purposefully killing/injuring Palestinians who are unarmed.

Your logic is very one sided and somehow it's all Hamas' fault for Israel shooting protestors despite the Israeli military saying on twitter that everything they do is purposeful and not random.

It's one thing to accidentally kill a civilian in a Hamas raid. That's not what Israel is doing or being called out for.

FYI, there is also racism and hate against Palestinians from everyday Israeli's.

Condoning violence and hatred on one side and not the other IS part of the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join