It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Largest Prehistoric Carnivorous Land Mammals

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
#10 Epicyon Haydeni

#9 Dinocrocuta Gigantea

#8 Natodomeri Lion

#7 Smilodon populator (Saber tooth Tiger)

#6 Mongolonyx Robustus

#5 Amphicyon Ingens

#4 Megistotherium Osteothlastes

3# Entelodont (Hell Pig)

#2 Simbakubwa Kutokaafrica

1# Andrewsarchus Mongoliensis

edit on 20-8-2019 by metal5643 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: metal5643

# 3 carnivorous , but with hooves ? Is that even possible ? you could saddle one up and ride it to town - the most fearsome meat eating horse in the West

# 7 are you sure it's a cyber toothed tiger or was that a deliberate error ?

edit on 20-8-2019 by FieldMarshalMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FieldMarshalMatt

# 3 carnivorous , but with hooves ? Is that even possible ? you could saddle one up and ride it to town - the most fearsome meat eating horse in the West

lol that would be epic , thanks for correcting me with my spelling.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Cool subject. It would be nice to know when and where these animals existed though. Were any people were around and had to deal with these beasts? Truly amazing at any rate.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I'm surprised my mother in-law didn't make the top ten.......SARC

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FieldMarshalMatt

There have been many hoofed predators in the past, this is just one of the more recent one's.
But go back 30 million years or so ago in the US and you may have met that big pig like carnivore - someone would have there bacon that is for sure.

edit on 20-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

#3, the Entelodont was, at least based on their dentition, an omnivore who would scavenge meat. Though as mean and ugly as it appears, I wouldn’t want to be the first person to field test that hypothesis! Omnivorous or not, it looks like it would do some damage if provoked. But they definitely weren’t predators. They just didn’t have the teeth for it.

The teeth of entelodonts were unable to slice meat. As every predatory mammal group ever known has independently evolved blades or notches on their teeth to slice meat, entelodonts are unlikely to have been predators. However, they were among the largest animals in their environments and could easily exploit any available food. Analysis of their dentition shows both very high jaw strength and extreme tooth wear. Their front teeth interlocked, so they could not have cropped grass. The oddly expanded semi-circular forepart of the skull, specific to this group and Andrewsarchus and similar to hippos, suggests adaptations for tooth display or grasping. Wear grooves on the front teeth suggest stripping leaves or bark. The intense wear on incisors, canines, and the heavy cone-shaped premolars, which often wore down to the roots, makes clear they ate tough or sandy foods, but the lack of grinding teeth means they did not specialize on grass or fibrous plants. Characteristic "pie crust" fracture wear on the triangular premolars of Archeotherium is also seen in modern hyenas, and suggests some specialization for bone-eating. Like humans, pigs, and most bears, entelodonts also had flat crushing molars to process a variety of foods. They may have lived both by scavenging carcasses and eating as modern pigs and peccaries do, taking in fruit, nuts, roots, bark, leaves, fungi, invertebrates, and the occasional small animal.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Kick ass thread!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FieldMarshalMatt

# 3 carnivorous , but with hooves ? Is that even possible ?

Video can be disturbing.

edit on 21-8-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You've completely ruined my Wednesday! NO LITTLE CHICK WHY!!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

Whoops, I meant to put a warning on it. I went ahead and edited it in.

I know, the first time I saw it, it was completely unexpected and made me sad...

That said, I think it goes to show that horses like all animals are opportunist when it comes to food. I wouldn't be surprised if their ancestors ate meat during the winter time when plants weren't as abundant.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Awesome subject

Between these and the giant birds, it's amazing humans made it at all.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

they all look so deadly !

I couldnt imagine having to hunt any of these, what a feat if we did actually hunt some of these.

I think the most terrifying to see face to face would either be the hell pig or Amphicyon Ingens

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Awesome subject

Between these and the giant birds, it's amazing humans made it at all.

I was just thinking the exact same thing , we must have struggled immensely before we learned to use tools and hunt properly.

Think how many tribesman you would have seen stomped to death, gored or eaten alive, and we still went out and hunted them.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

YouTube the gift that keeps on giving, thanks for that gem lol.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is actually pretty cool! I am very into prehistoric animals! Nice post

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Its a topic for another section, but I'm beginning to wonder if animals like that are the reason why we see "Megalithic" stone work in the far ancient past, but more recent work is done with smaller stones?

If a herd of megafauna came to attack your settlement, and you had thin walls made of smaller bricks, they might break it down. So instead they built walls out of giant, interlocking stones. Solid enough to handle being smashed into by a modern semi-truck and still holding.

If I'm not mistaken, modern pigs are carnivorous, aren't they? You can feed them human corpses, and I think they'll even eat other pigs.

Ever see that movie Lock Stock and 2 Loaded barrels? "Never trust a pig farmer!"

new topics

top topics

join