It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 million years old "prehistoric-looking" fish still alive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: Nickn3
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

The rivers of the gulf coast are full of them. I have swam with big gar many times.

I was always warned ,as a kid, to never go skinny dipping in a bayou because, as the old folks said, an alligator gar will bite on anything that wiggles.

This is true! I caught one on a cane pole and a hotdog as a kid when I was living on the coast of Mississippi. He was prolly only a 5 pounder but was fun to catch on a cane pole.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Never heard of that I’ll have to check into it . Thanks for that nugget .

Did you ever see the old-timers pole and line fishing for tuna ? I’m pretty sure they still do it today. They use a barbless hook so they can flip the tuna over their shoulder and the fish will fall off .

From what I remember it took about 10 seconds between fish .

Big tuna were more plentiful back in the day. I saw films where they would have three men with the polls all using the same hook to accomplish that feat .

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The Sturgeon is 200 million years old.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Man, you people way behind us! In South Louisiana we grind up the meat, make gar fish balls, cook 'em down in a brown gravy.

Damn, dey some kind of good, chère!

Here's a recipe with the brown gravy.

This recipe has more of a creole twist.

Or, if you like, you can just make the balls (or even patties) and fry them up.

Works with choupique, too.
:

"Fishes And Fishing In Louisiana 1933 Bulletin No 23 Department of Conservation"

I think this is the book I read many years ago from the library that stated that of all of Louisiana fish, the choupique (bowfin) was the best tasting fish of all. Best prepared grilled or smoked.

I prefer sauce piquante and coubion.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Catch them all the time in Texas on the Brazos

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Got Gars across Detroit River in Lake St. Clair. Nasty, nasty things....so are the muskies but not as bad....both visually prehistoric looking

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: csimon

Thanks for the recipes! I never knew...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Never heard of that I’ll have to check into it . Thanks for that nugget .

Did you ever see the old-timers pole and line fishing for tuna ? I’m pretty sure they still do it today. They use a barbless hook so they can flip the tuna over their shoulder and the fish will fall off .

From what I remember it took about 10 seconds between fish .

Big tuna were more plentiful back in the day. I saw films where they would have three men with the polls all using the same hook to accomplish that feat .

Sorry for the necro-reply!

Yeah I've seen videos of those guys doing that, it looks like a lot of fun for sure!

We actually have Tuna swinging through yearly now (I'm about 18 miles from the coast of France, so it's odd for us), only they've put a ban on us targeting them locally.

I'm actually here because I just came across a new upload detailing what I was trying to describe earlier, here you go boss;

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join