It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aboriginal people know where underwater mountains are

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
theconversation.com...

The question is whether the details in these stories recall this time for, if they do, then the story might date from as much as 13,000 years ago. A more conservative interpretation, based on a sea level just 30 metres lower than today, would place the age of this story at around 10,000 years ago.

I've just started reading about this and find it absolutely interesting. There are many mountains under the sea. How cool is it that aboriginal people have been telling stories that have been passed down from generation, to generation about them? From a time so long ago that those people actually saw the mountains before they were swallowed by the sea...

From what i've read so far, they have been pretty accurate. Have we ignored these ancient stories too long?
Maybe there is a hidden wealth of knowledge about many things, right in front of us. Maybe our modern day mainstream thinking has kept us from true ancient knowledge. They have been portrayed as half naked barbarians. Maybe we are the barbarians?

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Ive read that there are many reminates of civilization just off the shores of many nations, prior to the last ice age melting and the rising of the ocean levels. It would be awesome if someway we could drain the oceans and see whats there.
edit on 19-8-2019 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Ive read that there are many reminates of civilization just off the shores of many nations, prior to the last ice age melting and the rising of the ocean levels. It would be awesome if someway we could drain the oceans and see whats there.

Well, I doubt draining the oceans are a possibility, but I think there is a lot more down there then we have been led to believe.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Well, I doubt draining the oceans are a possibility, but I think there is a lot more down there then we have been led to believe.

Some countries limit access to anything right off the shores of their countries. The draing of the oceans could be achieved by the little oriental kid who could suck them up in a story that I cant remember the name of.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Very interesting thread, oral tradition is indeed a wealth of knowledge that perhaps only a few anthropologists have ever researched and then they probably just put the story's down to being allegorical rather than factual.
As for barbarian's, I think culture is a valuable thing BUT civilization should really be regarded not in how big we build but in how much we care about our fellow human being's and in that respect many - but not all - tribal cultures have a very great deal that we in the developed world have lost.

As for ruins under the ocean, I fully believe that there are.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Awesome thread. Thanks for posting!

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
In southern Victoria, people of the Gunditjmara tribe have a dreamtime story about a nature spirit that lived in a mountain (Mount Eccles), who showed itself in fire and smoke. The mountain is infact an extinct volcano which last erupted 30,000 years ago. It's pretty cool how traditional oral history can record events from so long ago.

cv.vic.gov.au...

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Very interesting thread, oral tradition is indeed a wealth of knowledge that perhaps only a few anthropologists have ever researched and then they probably just put the story's down to being allegorical rather than factual.

You should probably know that there’s an entire subset of Anthropology called Social Anthropology that focuses on oral traditions and how those oral traditions tie in with facts and how the oral traditions correspond with physical sites. It’s a handful of Anthropologists who look into this particular area and taken b
it seriously.

As for barbarian's, I think culture is a valuable thing BUT civilization should really be regarded not in how big we build but in how much we care about our fellow human being's and in that respect many - but not all - tribal cultures have a very great deal that we in the developed world have lost.

Caring about your fellow man is great but that’s a cultural issue,
Not a civilization issue.

As for ruins under the ocean, I fully believe that there are.

It can’t be ruled out but to make such an extraordinary claim, you’ve got to halve the evidence to support it, not just supposition and gut feelings.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Native Americans passed down stories of many things through many generations. Some of the tales are over three thousand years old. There were people chosen to learn the tales. Sometimes that person died to early though and history was pretty much lost.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Hold it right there mister, you are making some pretty big assumptions if you assume there is no evidence, first of all probably due to the tilting of the Indian subcontinent which at time's may have been quite cataclysmic (and is likely to continue to be from time to time) but also perhaps due to sea level rise after the ice age there is a large city off the south coast of India (maybe many of them).
news.bbc.co.uk...
And near to Sir-Lanka/Ceylon we have claim's that during some of the recent Tsunami that as the water retreated in the distance the form of ancient hindu temples could be seen on what is today the sea floor so unsurprisingly there is a hell of a lot more to be found of the southern coasts of Inda probably as I say due to continental tilting as the Himalaya's are still rising and the norther part of the indian subcontinent is still riding OVER the Asian plate.

Then we have a city off of Cuba, too deep for the sea level rise of the last 12600 years or more to explain so it has to be at least partially a geological subduction in the region and yes there are some bone heads on this site that try to claim it is everything from a natural formation to cold war concrete construction - that deep.

In fact there is a whole wealth of sunken city's around the world most of which that we know of are from within the last 6000 years of human history including on the east coast of Africa, around the Mediterranean, example Pavlopetri and Alexandria to name just two etc, port Royal in Jamaica is far more recent and the idea that there are not more ancient ruins comes from the ignorant assumption that we are both the only race of human's to build - we know that the Neanderthal's were capable of piling stones on top of one another from some cave find's - and that we despite being at least 200 years old as modern humans have only been building things for less than ten thousand years - proven utterly wrong by several enigmatic find's such as Gobekli Tepe.

Then as for your definition of what defines civil behavior, come on that's just a play on words isn't it as it is civil-ised behavior to care about your fellow man and no civil-isation could arise without it so shared culture IS at least one of the major tenets of what constitutes a civilization but as you possibly know that old argument goes right back to the beginning's social anthropology - the study of SOCIETY'S (NOT CIVILIZATIONS that archaeology though yes the two paper ticket bursary imbued pseudo sciences do play into and over one another).

As for the indigenous Tamil people of Sri-Lanka/Ceylon they also have many ancient legends of sunken city's and lost land's, go all the way to the African Island of Madagascar and while yes it was probably down to sailors in the ancient world the people there are genetically linked to the Tamil's and then you have the whole problem of Lema, they are found on many very distant from one another western pacific islands and are very closely related genetically, usually the argument is that they were taken there as food BUT that is improbable to the point of absurdity as they are a very difficult to transport creature that suffer from stress very easily and would never survive in a simple sailing or oared vessel over such distances especially in tiny box so the continent of Lemuria was proposed way back but it also matched legend's of Kumari Kandam.
www.themysteriousindia.net...

P.S sorry if I came across horrible there, you make some good point's not that I agree with them.
edit on 20-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Maybe we are the barbarians?

I know I am just to speak for myself. All tho I don't understand where all
the maybe comes from? Just let the evidence speak for itself! Any judge
would find us all guilty. How do degenerates evolve? There is far more
that we refuse to see with our minds.Than what we do see with our eyes.

SnF

edit on 20-8-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The noongar people are not that well known. Except to other tribes.

I called a bloke a noongar once, and he told me "Don't call me that gutter $h1t"

All we have is a dreamtime snake in a river, really.

who knows.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Sorry typo on my last comment, that should be "at least 200.000 years old" not 200.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Native Americans passed down stories of many things through many generations. Some of the tales are over three thousand years old. There were people chosen to learn the tales. Sometimes that person died to early though and history was pretty much lost.

I have read a lot of those stories. It is hard to separate stories from truth, but my guess it is a mix.

They have a very interesting take on bigfoot!

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
it is amazing how well oral traditions can work. even if over time mistakes have crept in, like a game of broken telephone, the basic truths of the tales seem to be true. the question is how much of myths, legends and tales, not just from native cultures around the world, but from all cultures around the world are based upon truth? there are tales about creatures like big foot and the Yeti. two very similar seeming creatures, on two completely separate continents. as well as the rock ape, in the Viet Nam area, yet another seemingly similar creature. i wonder how many more similar creatures we can find tales of around the world from ancient folklore? just as we have all sorts of tales of sea creatures like the Loch Ness monster, again found on separate areas of the world, including in North America. and interestingly many of these more currant sightings take place in areas where very old traditions have those types of creatures in the same waters. and we certainly can't forget about dragons in this. a creature type that yet again seems to have ancient tales around the world. or how about giants. again just about every culture seems to have tales about giants. i have even heard of tales from different parts of the world that seem to refer to vampires. so could it be these things we are constantly told do not exist, at least at some point in time, did in fact exist, and with humans there to see them? yet we are told there is no evidence of such creatures. yet there are also so many stories about giant humanoid bones and skeletal remains found even in the beginnings of the 1900's. yet that such items have been conveniently stolen, or mysteriously been involved in fires, shipped to places like the American Smithsonian Institution, who never admits to ever having such things, or just plain disappearing. or creatures that resemble so many tales of dragons, are called dinosaurs, and that they died out long before man was around. should we be paying more attention to old tales, than what science is telling us? is there even a concentrated effort to hide these things? although that brings up the question of why bother.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

Oral tradition is the oldest medium our race has used to pass knowledge from generation to generation, it was in many cultures and remains in India, Australia and several places one of the most important skills of holy men whom are the repository's of the knowledge of the ages, a great example is the mystery of the Dogon tribe of Mali in Africa whom long before the European's arrived knew that the Dog Star Sirius was a binary star system, something that western science did not learn until the invention of powerful telescopes revealed that Sirius A had a dim red (too dim to be seen with the naked eye) companion star we today Sirius B.

All of the ancient peoples relied upon oral transmission of knowledge down the generation's but among the oral tradition's are some very intriguing story's that may hint at lost treasures of the distant past.

Of course the Dogon could have gotten there knowledge from other ancient peoples or they themselves may have once had greater knowledge and long before the modern invention of the telescope the ancient science (or as we today see it mysticism) of astrology may have led to it having been created in the distant past making it really a re-invention.
www.ancient-wisdom.com...
And there may be other influences on there culture, quite unexpected one's.

edit on 20-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Thanks for sharing those videos.
I did a quick search and found this very thorough posting on the topic..
absolutely fascinating.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

One thing though they never mention mountains. And your source says the level change is only 30 m.

-They know that land where their people used to live is underwater now.

top topics

join