It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perhaps an ultra-wealthy individual/group of individuals should "revive" Concorde?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
What, like THIS? (Jeff Bezos Sells About $1.8 Billion Worth of Amazon Shares in Three Days)

You really think you're gonna start an SST airline with $1.8billion? You wont even get the jets rehabbed for that.

A space rocket company, for example, will most likely never break even for decades and decades to come, despite what you think...

Hur dur, SapceX valuation in 2012: 2billion, now: 30billion.

Have a look at my two other threads about two companies (Aerion and Boom Supersonic) hoping to launch commercial SST in the mid twenties.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What, like THIS? (Jeff Bezos Sells About $1.8 Billion Worth of Amazon Shares in Three Days)

Yes, I am aware of wealth and how wealth management etc, thank you very much.

That being said, ultra-wealthy folks still have interests and pursuits and sometimes even wacky ideas.

A space rocket company, for example, will most likely never break even for decades and decades to come, despite what you think...

Disagree on the spaceflight profitability.

Also, whacky ideas aren’t usually brought about with the intent of draining their holdings. If they wanted to do that, they can just donate it to a foundation to try and get a write off (that’s more substantial than bleeding the money out over time via a for-loss airline).

I wish a megamultiultrastupidFyoumoney billionaire would give me 100mm USD to do a bunch of stuff I think is cool - but that ain’t gonna happen, bro.

So yeah, lots of things would be nice. But this ain’t happenin.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser

That being said, ultra-wealthy folks still have interests and pursuits and sometimes even wacky ideas.

Also, whacky ideas aren’t usually brought about with the intent of draining their holdings. If they wanted to do that, they can just donate it to a foundation to try and get a write off (that’s more substantial than bleeding the money out over time via a for-loss airline).

I wish a megamultiultrastupidFyoumoney billionaire would give me 100mm USD to do a bunch of stuff I think is cool - but that ain’t gonna happen, bro.

Have a look at my other two SST threads (Aerion AS2 and Boom Overture are both slated to be introduced into service by the mid twenties).

Commercial SST could make a comeback by the mid twenties.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Have a look at my two other threads about two companies (Aerion and Boom Supersonic) hoping to launch commercial SST in the mid twenties.

They doing it as a charity or to make money?

Rhetorical.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser

Have a look at my other two SST threads (Aerion AS2 and Boom Overture are both slated to be introduced into service by the mid twenties).

Commercial SST could make a comeback by the mid twenties.

Are you Effin with me?

I’m not saying supersonic travel for the masses can’t make a comeback. I am saying it has to be profitable.

For supersonic travel to be viable you’d need to have:

- A plane that can hold at least as many passengers as a 737.
- can be flown over populated areas at supersonic speeds
- as fuel efficient as a 777
- fits dimensionally with existing airport gates
- can use existing runways
- has the same cargo capacity as a 737
- runs on standard aviation fuel
- as reliable as most Boeing aircraft (ex the 737 maxx issue - let’s not get derailed here).

I’m sure there’s more. I pulled the 737/777 comparisons out of my backside to prove a point (and I’ve not a huge fan of Airbus aircraft
) - it has to be large enough and economical enough to make sense.

So sure - aircraft design could evolve to a point between shape/specs/coatings/engines/etc. for this to happen in an economically intelligent way (e.g. it is profitable enough to get it flying) for the masses and not just military applications. I’d be down for a trip from LA to NY in a couple hours.

But a crazy uber billionaire who just wants to shed a few billion for fun isn’t how this most likely gets done.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

Number one on your list should be getting the supersonic travel ban over the CONTUS repealed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join