It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Launches Quiet Probe Into Hip Hop Music Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Recent gun battles between two rappers and an ongoing trial of another have convinced the government to launch a quiet probe into the hip-hop music business. The industry, which is worth an estimated 1.5 billion dollars a year, has been hit with allegations of extortion and robbery to the industry's persistent violence and mounting casualties. Included in this are the still unsolved murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG.

www.msnbc.msn.com
As gunplay between two chart-topping gangsta rappers and the trial of a rap diva vie for top headlines this week, federal authorities are pressing a wide-ranging investigation into the $1.5-billion hip-hop music industry, NEWSWEEK has learned.

According to top industry insiders, federal investigators are digging into a playlist of crimes, ranging from extortion and robbery to the industry’s persistent violence and mounting casualties—including the unsolved murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG. Investigators are “asking about anyone in hip hop from what I understand,” says a top music lawyer. Another top lawyer and a prominent entertainment business manager also said they were aware of an investigation. In a NEWSWEEK interview, one influential executive who was questioned recently by investigators adds: “It’s a federal investigation of hip hop and the music business and the crimes that have come out of it.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm really surprised that this has taken this long. From the antics of Suge Knight at Death Row Records, to the unsolved deaths to the endless glorification of violence its amazing that no one has taken a closer look. I am not advocating that they should be censored, but the cycles of violence and graft should be put to an end.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
If their "music" didn't influence a lot of impressionable kids, I'd say let them just keep killing each other. Realistically, though, the industry needs some cracking down on all the way to the top of the industry, including the record company executives.

[edit on 05/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If their "music" didn't influence a lot of impressionable kids, I'd say let them just keep killing each other. Realistically, though, the industry needs some cracking down on all the way to the top of the industry, including the record company executives.

[edit on 05/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

Grady,

Actually if the politicos were in the pockets of the record industry I would like to see a whole look at thier practices. Most of the artists unless they become huge are basically extorted and bribery and payola are rampant. Its a big mess from top to bottom.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's pretty interesting what they are doing. I think the glorification of vilonce, drugs and not respecting women is playing a huge role in the development of teens. In my school most of the kids listen to hip hop. Recently it's been getting really bad. Some of these kids are just out of control. Drug use and gang activities are rising. I don't like most of the "gagnsta people" in my school. They try to show off, and think it's "gangsta" to act like assholes most of the time.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What we need is to reintroduce Hip-Hop, and expose rap and R&B for the garbage that it is.

Please stop calling rap and R&B "Hip-Hop".

There's a HUGE difference.

The record companies are controlled by those who are purposefully trying to keep humanity in a state of degeneration, and thus will only back ignorant "artists"; while Real Hip-Hop never gets a chance to shine.

It's also a deliberate tactic that the devils use, to repeatedly call rap and R&B "Hip-Hop", so that people will associate the latter term with ignorance, instead of actually finding out what Hip-Hop really is.....

Peace

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Tamahu]

top topics

join