It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ransomware attack on local government in Del Rio Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It appears that Del Rio Texas has been forced to sever connections to the internet and go back to paper and pen for transactions, and other functions are limited too.

Not much info available yet, looks like it started thurs-fri evening. To stop the spread of the app/virus, the town apparently pulled the plug in the internet.
Now employees cannot login and some services are unavailable.
It looks like FBI and Secret Service have been notified.

Anyone in that area that could give us some more detailed info would be great.

www.kut.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.kut.org... texas
edit on 17-8-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ransomware-attack-hits-tex as-government-entities/ar-AAFUj1H
edit on 17-8-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Shutting down the internet will stop any malware etc contacting command and control servers somewhere on the internet and depending on the malware it could be a very long and laborious job trying to clean it up while not getting reinfected from machines still to be cleaned up and by the time you're checking everything from router/switch configs resetting every password checking backups and santizing them and putting whoevers fault it is testicles on the table and going to get a very large meat tenderizer it could be weeks before its business as usual.

Normally these things are not targetted like state action level but groups of people wanting access to financial systems to be able to send money and when the cash pot is pretty much empty slap a good bit of malware around and it'll help slow down any forensic examination so they can cash out the money and scarper.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

There was this thread earlier by LookingAtMars; 'Customs and Border Protection computer outage - Are they looking for someone? ETA - Now Fixed'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder if they're somehow connected?

Things that make you go hmmm 🤔

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Wow, i hadn't even thought about this being a delay tactic for investigations of nefarious people's transactions.

It sure makes a lot of sense though.

The good old internet sure brings out the worst in people...

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I didn't catch that thread, but thanks for the heads up!

Seems like you might be onto something just like Maxatoria as well.

My sleuthing has been poor lately, I've been cutting big timber In climbing gear. Im just plumb exhausted.

I caught this in the morning before I went back to work and thought is see where it went, as i couldn't get much info on what was going on.

I think you guys are definitely onto something though.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
... testicles on the table and going to get a very large meat tenderizer...

That's not just a bad visual, I'm actually feeling pain right now!

edit on 8-17-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

top topics

join