It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Holy Bible the only source of great religious teachings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SourceTruth

Enslavement to elemental spirits.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Yeah when source players participate in religion they create entity attachments that drain their source fractal energies...

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Why is it that every religious teaching claims their path is the only one true path to God?

First of all not every religion does make such a claim. Satanism, Atheism, etc.
2nd The language you use indicates to me that you don't believe any of them
lead to God. But you will always feel the need to have a conversation about
God. Whether it's just to attack or ridicule whatever. It seems you have to
re enforce your position. And you will never get away from it until you accept
that one of them must be right. Despite what they all claim.

edit on 31-8-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If you were not a Bible snob, you would find value in this native American parable:

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." The grand son thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

What does the term "Bible snob"mean? Is it just a derogatory statement about people who believe the Bible? If so, then that's showing the part of the wolf in the old Cherokee proverb quoted full of arrogance, lies, false pride, superiority.

Actually the Cherokee proverb is not far off from what the Bible says you know. For example it says that everyone who wishes to do what is righteous fights the law of sin he is born with. The "two wolves" as that proverb would state:

" For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, there dwells nothing good; for I have the desire to do what is fine but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good that I wish, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice. If, then, I do what I do not wish, I am no longer the one carrying it out, but it is the sin dwelling in me." - Romans 7:18-20.

I thought of another scripture in the Bible that talks of the difference between these "two wolves" as well. One shows the works of the flesh that lead to death. And the others the fruit of God's spirit that lead to life:

"Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, 20 idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom." Galatians 5:19-21.

And then of course:

"On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith,  mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.  Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed to the stake the flesh together with its passions and desires." vs 22-24.

One clearly does not need to read the Bible to have good moral sense. But reading the Bible certainly gives you a moral compass and does teach you right from wrong.

I appreciate the Cherokee proverb. Perhaps I may be able to use it in the future to have further discussion with the Cherokee that would open a way to talk about Bible truths that are very similar.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If you were not a Bible snob, ...

Why is it that every religious teaching claims their path is the only one true path to God? There's a Japanese saying, "The first person to raise their voice in an argument loses."

That sounds like a leading question, not every religious teaching out there "claims their path is the only one true path to God". Here's a better question:

Who was it in this thread to make the first argument* that those who take the Bible more seriously than you do, are snobs? (*: or insinuation, not quite spelled out like I just spelled it out; but still giving that impression to those already inclined to feel that way about it)

"Snob" is a derogatory term or label.

The Manipulation of Information (Awake!—2000)

Name-Calling

Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. Name-calling slaps a negative, easy-to-remember label onto a person, a group, or an idea. The name-caller hopes that the label will stick. If people reject the person or the idea on the basis of the negative label instead of weighing the evidence for themselves, the name-caller’s strategy has worked. ...

Btw, many Buddhists teach that there are many paths to spiritual enlightenment, or Nirvana. Other religious people claim that there are many paths to God. The 'many paths'-notion is actually quite popular in modern times (the notion is also quite popular in mainstream media and movies and consequently further popularized with those means).

Are All Religions Different Roads Leading to God? (Awake!—2001)

“I FIND it literally incredible that the God of the whole universe has chosen to be known by one religious tradition,” stated author Marcus Borg. Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu said: “No religion can claim to have the whole truth about the mystery” of faith. A popular Hindu view is “Jotto moth, totto poth,” which means when loosely translated that all religions are but different roads leading to the same goal. Buddhists also share this viewpoint. Indeed, millions of people believe that all religions are different roads leading to God.

Historian Geoffrey Parrinder stated: “It is sometimes said that all religions have the same goal, or are equal ways to the truth, or even that all teach the same doctrines.” The teachings, rituals, and deities of religions are indeed similar. Most religions speak about love and teach that murder, stealing, and lying are wrong. In most religious groups, some put forth sincere efforts to help others. So, then, if one is sincere in his beliefs and tries to live a good life, does it matter what religion he belongs to? Or are all religions just different roads leading to God?

Sincerity Alone—Is It Enough?

Here are some reasons one might want to take the Bible a bit more seriously than one perhaps does now:

edit on 17-9-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Why is it that every religious teaching claims their path is the only one true path to God?

originally posted by: carsforkids
First of all not every religion does make such a claim. Satanism, Atheism, etc. ...

Oprah Winfrey, who claims to be a Christian, Joel Osteen, a pastor and televangelist who claims to be a Christian, etc.

When one does a search on youtube for example for "many paths to god" you'll get tons of videos. With a mixture of New Age philosophical sources, Hindus, Buddhists and sources that claim to be Christian.

So yeah, using the word "every" in that question was a rather poor choice of words by dfnj2015. One could even argue that the 'many paths'-view is more popular than the other view described in that question. Even if you just count the religious people liking that idea ('getting their ears tickled by it', see 2 Timothy 4:3,4).

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
There is no path to God....
God is right here right now...... but man believes in concepts so seeks to find God elsewhere.... there is no elsewhere.

The belief is that God is findable.... but if there is no separation then what could find God?

The life the truth and the way is what is actually happening. One without a second.

Thought says that you will die in time so all seeking is to save yourself and when you leave Gods presence all sorts if dramas will occur..... but only in the mind (not really).

What is wrong or right with right here and right now?
Too boring for the mind..... it loves drama..... thought makes up stories.
edit on 17-9-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
the bible is not even a good source of religious teaching - try reading it a reply to: dfnj2015

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

What do you advise?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance
Try reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.
Or listen to him on youtube.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join