It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Epidemic of Gun violence and Mass Murder break the back of the Republican Party in 2020 ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Mass murders/gun violence doesn't affect enough people to hurt Republicans in 2020. Crimes committed by illegal aliens hurt a lot of Americans, however.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
they want a distraction, and they will use any story in order to keep people distracted.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I do believe that no one under 21 should be allowed to own a gun. I also believe the screening process for gun ownership should be more stringent. But thinking gun control is the answer for what is happening right now is like thinking a band aid will cure cancer. For several reasons. First of all, gun control wont eliminate guns, there are MILLIONS of guns in circulation in the US, so many that it would take literally decades to gather them all. Secondly, gun control will create a big black market for guns, of which there will be NO controls, so instead of people getting AR-15s, you will see fully automatic machine guns and god knows what else hit the streets. When alcohol was prohibited, it didn't eliminate drinking, it DID make a lot of nefarious characters rich, and created a lot of violence in the process. Lastly, even if you take guns away, people who are hellbent to hurt a lot of people will probably still find a way to do it, they will just find other methods.

I think a better approach is to examine the mental state of the people who have been committing these crimes. What is their motivation if any? What contributed to their mental lapse that allowed them to do what they did? We need a serious analysis of what is going on in our society to create this kind of desire in people.

Lastly we need to rebuild some kind of mental healthcare system in this country, we haven't really had one since the early 80s. Right now there are very few mental hospitals where you could even treat people with serious mental issues. This is a shame and it needs to change. In short we need to attack the root cause of what's happening, then we might be safe again in public places in the future.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

What is their motivation if any? What contributed to their mental lapse that allowed them to do what they did?

I asked a question in another thread. If someone believes that what they are doing is right and just, is it a "mental lapse?"

As I said in that same thread, the mental health aspect is a red herring. This is not to say that it is not a factor, but to focus on it is a deflection. Perhaps societal norms should be the focus. What is the context of the action? Where those who took part in killing of women and children at My Lai mentally ill, or was it justifiable, in context?

But then the idea of "norms" can problematic in its own right.

But guns do make it real easy to kill a lot of people in a hurry.
edit on 8/11/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: openminded2011

What is their motivation if any? What contributed to their mental lapse that allowed them to do what they did?

I asked a question in another thread. If someone believes that what they are doing is right and just, is it a "mental lapse?"

As I said in that same thread, the mental health aspect is a red herring. This is not to say that it is not a factor, but to focus on it is a deflection. Perhaps societal norms should be the focus. What is the context of the action? Where those who took part in killing of women and children at My Lai mentally ill, or was it justifiable, in context?

But then the idea of "norms" can problematic in its own right.

To the individual doing the killing - He thinks he is justified, doesn't he?

In his bent and twisted mind he is the good-guy saving the World from Americans, Mexicans, Blacks, Jews, Moslems or whoever
else is his main target. By the standards of most people he's nuts. - But he don't think so - Assuming he is in fact
thinking - though in some of the recent cases I'm not sure the kiler was all there, not playing with a full deck so
to speak.

"But guns do make it real easy to kill a lot of people in a hurry"

True - And high capacity firearms make it even easier to kill more people in a hurry.

Machine guns are not completely outlawed for the general public BUT it is hard to get a license to own one
- Maybe its time to not outlaw, but restrict the ownership of high capacity firearms - If someone really wants
or needs to own one make him prove he's sane and responsible - A good background check for at least these type of
firearms would have stopped, or at least limited casualties in many of the recent mass murders.

edit on 11-8-2019 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2019 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Will the Epidemic of Gun violence and Mass Murder break the back of the Republican Party in 2020 ?

Oh they are damn sure going to try.

Expect to see more of these incidents until the objective is reached. (and I mean disarmament, not just shooting shots at the GOP chances in 2020).

Lets face it, there isn't much in their playbook left. Their usual tactics of false rape accusations, subverting government with bogus investigations, etc. have fizzled, so there you go....

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So do bombs.

Making the tool illegal will not stop it. Indeed, I'm sure these mass killers would simply resort to explosives or other mass destruction means such as toxins, etc.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Murder: against the law

You gotta laugh at people who think making things illegal will stop them.

The only thing it does is stop legal responsible people from owning them.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join