It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING Victoria's Secret: Top executive quits after lingerie company hires first openly transgen

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

People aren't watching the runway show in big numbers anyways.

9 million watched in 2014 compared to 3 million last year.

Why the dive? Odd...

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

It was directly in line with the CMO's comments about plus size and trans models. In general people don't want to support exclusionary public companies.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Nothing more than a marketing gimmick. VS had to make a big deal out of hiring the first trans. Even though he looks like a woman, it still grosses me out to think about. Call me a bigot, but it is just gross.

My wife says she will not buy any more VS, not that she bought much anyway. She is not super thin, but looks great to me. She would rather buy 3-4 things at Burlington for the price of one at VS.

They are not meant to be worn all day, so who cares about the quality. Heck, most of it comes off within 10 minutes of me seeing it on her anyway. LOL

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It was directly in line with the CMO's comments about plus size and trans models. In general people don't want to support exclusionary public companies.

But he made that comment last November, not 2014 or 2015...

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Atsbhct

No but having a bunch of obese women that do not look good in your clothes wont sell many of them. People see an ad and think 'I want to look like that' and buy the clothes.

That's not necessarily true of today's most desirable demographics qhen it comes to garment sales. (In the United States). More and more, people want to see themselves represented tastefully, the best version of who they could be right now. No matter the size.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

And the fashion show was on November 8th.

In 2017, just under 5 million watched.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
Why the dive? Odd...

I gave a link pages back, they've lost the interest of younger buyers who prefer more comfortable apparel.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I didn't say they needed a thin model, I said they won't want an obese person. I have huge problems with the model industry, I would prefer healthier models.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I didn't say anything about thin models either.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Then I am not sure where you are in disagreement with me. Are you saying people want to buy clothes marketed with obese women?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Other companies are giving women exactly what they want with marketing campaigns they see themself in. Gone are the days when lingerie is marketed firstly to men. Good riddens.

To be unapologetically blunt, in terms of advertising, I honestly prefer the hot, fit Angels -- or any person male or female in ANY product category -- over the current "embrace obese women" campaigns. I'm not so deluded to think I'm anywhere close to VS Angel hot, but they're damn nice to look at. Tess Holliday and the like are NOT nice to look at.
That level of massively overweight being mollycoddled & put on a pedestal is patently gross, and openly encourages being unhealthy (a la "If that fat model made it, I don't need dietary self control and getting off my butt! Just a contract!") Kate Moss thin is out of style, that kind of thin is not coming back as something to aspire to. But if we can look up to physically fit people, that's leaps and bounds better than the land whales as inspirations.

I'm a size 12 myself (and aiming to get down to an 8) I started restructuring my diet and portion sizes, as well as getting off my ass more, when I was pushing a size 16 a few years ago my heaviest and said "F# this. The kids aren't babies anymore, the Mom Weight's going." Advertising did not spur that. Advertising didn't make me feel poorly about myself. Advertising does not make me fell better about myself. All advertising does for me is show the product and try to get me to buy it by attempting to appeal one way or the other (hot women sell products better, they figured this out decades ago)

I don't need other size 12 women in advertising to feel good about myself. Feeling good about yourself comes from yourself, not others. If you can't feel good about yourself without some model to bolster your self-esteem, then that like model is just a band-aid emotional fix that will wear off anyway. And then you're right back on the soapbox screaming for some other representative human body to attach your personal meaning to, to feel good.

People pin far too much self-esteem management responsibility on others today, and that's not a good thing.
Hard work, strict diet and even consoversial dieting regimes, you can have your VS angel body.

I use to weight 290-300lbs, but I worked hard and came down to 225 of pure lean muscle and was pleseantly surprised that I was so photo-geneic too.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If obese women are purchasing clothes, they will absolutely buy clothing that they see on an obese model. That's what I'm saying. That kind of marketing is huge right now.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

If obese women are purchasing clothes, they will absolutely buy clothing that they see on an obese model. That's what I'm saying. That kind of marketing is huge right now.

And so is most of the country ...

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly! Marketing is just a way of life in the states. Almost everyone is being manipulated by marketing. Food marketing is contributing to the obesity epidemic, not garment marketing.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I've worked in advertising. I've done store displays for VS and many other companies. There's a reason why I got laid off from that job in 2018. People are not going to stores anymore. If they do go to a store, they look at something, try something on and then go home and order it from the internet. The trend now is towards showrooms. Go in look at something, try it out and then order it from the showrooms website.

My girlfriend refuses to set foot in a VS. She's tall full figured. Damn good looking (I am biased) but, she's sick and tired of these skinny little runt salesgirls telling her what she would look good in. She buys VS, just not from the stores. I'm a big guy 6 foot three, about 260 and I'm tired of stores not carrying my size. Their brand comes in my size, the store just doesn't have them in stock.

Get ready for it. It is VS now, there's more to come in the future. Retail as we know it, is about to go the way of the dodo.

it worked out for me. I got a job making twice what I made before and what I made before wasn't bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

No pun intended?
edit on 7-8-2019 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Obesity doesn't start until 30 BMI (which is only a starting point anyways, BMI alone is not enough to gauge obesity). I don't know any women marketing clothes with a BMI of 35+. Maybe I am wrong, can you show me these ads or models?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

More power to him, I say.

If it's a good product, that's all that matters. Ads get the attention, quality keeps it.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Www.modcloth.com
Www.fashionnova.com (Curve)
Www.torrid.com
Www.asos.com (Curve)

All of these sites would have models with an "obese" BMI.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I'm 6'4", usually around 270-280, I have the exact same problem. It takes forever to find comfortable clothes that look halfway decent.

I'm not looking to look like some latter day rendition of Fabio, but damn, it shouldn't take me an hour or so to find pants that fit correctly...

Easier to on-line, even though I'm not a huge fan of on-line shopping.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join