It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am pissed at this liberal spin

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I think American culture is to blame, but not video games. I do find the hypocrisy interesting, where video games were claimed to be the problem up until Trump said it, and then all the people making that claim went silent and none of them agreed with him. I guess those #NPCs were not programmed yet.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Most countries have video games and watch violent movies etc etc our culture is all over the world yet we don't see mass shootings happening at the rate we are having them.

I think it has more to do with the over medicating of America SSRI and hard street drugs. Inner city shootings are usually about gangs, drugs and street beefs. Mass shootings like the El Paso and Dayton shootings are almost always linked back to some depressed, loner type kid. Anyone know if the Dayton and El Paso shooters were on SSRI drugs?
edit on 7-8-2019 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
And what about countries other than America? Video games the cause of all the woes in those countries too?

Let's blame the video games and not the parents that let little 8 year old Johnny murder hookers in grand theft auto.

Let's blame the video games and not the parents that let little 12 year old Bobby buy that game that's RATED M for MATURE content and themes.

John Wick has made over half a billion dollars and its just that one dude killing a bunch of people in absurd ways, but lets blame the video games.

GTFO with that #.

If you can't separate video games from reality, maybe you shouldn't ducking play them.

Also seek help.

Its the stock theory for gun advocates, the problem to them is everything but the access to firearms, it the games (cos they only available in the USA) its the social media (cos its only available in the US), its the media (cos it only operates in the US), all a load of claptrap

Why do these video games not affect other societys in the same way?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

well, then by all means, let's make #ing sure that NOBODY ever tries to discuss this ever again. Perhaps we could make it a law that it would be illegal to even ask the question.

would that make your little snowflake ass feel better?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Again, the games are not the problem. Its the same with SSRI's (the other thing that gets blamed). They might contribute, but if you have a culture of ssuperiority, and feeling entitled to staying "on top", you do have a problem.

I've played FPS since the 90s (mostly Marathon because I was on Mac then) and not once gone on a rampage. I have been on a SSRI, when I should not have been, and it made me fat and apathetic. I'm not saying I'm special. I am saying I'm NORMAL.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I think American culture is to blame, but not video games. I do find the hypocrisy interesting, where video games were claimed to be the problem up until Trump said it, and then all the people making that claim went silent and none of them agreed with him. I guess those #NPCs were not programmed yet.

And that is exactly the gist of my post Occ. As a liberal I can find no defense in this at all, and that is why I am pissed.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Please don't get me wrong her Noinden, I still play a lot of video myself and still enjoy it. But for me at least I can understand the pull of the games on my own consciousness. Just as I assume do you. From your replies here you do sound normal and as well, I hope I do as well. Our problem though is that among so many other things in this culture we are feeding the instability of those who are NOT normal.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I guess, for me, I've looked at this stuff a bit. I'm a big fan of Loren Christensen's books (On Killin and On Co,mbat, books about the Psycology and Physiology of well Combat). They were required reading when I started out in Combatives (as a civilian). Christensen, after Colombine jumbed on the bandwaggon of "violent video games are bad". But Psycologists have Looked at it (and I wish I could share the whole publication, I just happen to have access to academic stuff due to work) and its not a major cause of the agession outside of the game. Now yeah it if someone is predisposed to it sure, its just like SSRI's have a very minor occurance of inducing suicidal thoughts that could lead to psycosis (its not as high as people say, but yes its there).

But we have historical evidence of what can cause the behaviour.

The big problem here is the media, and certain politicians, are blaming just the games, for the problem, or saying they are 'mentally ill'. Mentally aberant sure, by todays standards. But ill? They are competent enough to plan a long journey (Both Texas, and Christchurch New Zealand were people who travelled to the place to do the thing), and commit a spree killing (in the case of New Zealand) or Mass Murder (Texas).

So the liberal spin accusation (I'm Liberal by US standards and centrist by international) is not actually whats wrong here. What is wrong, is giving excuses for these terrorists. They are scum, who planned it, and do it for zealous reasons. Just like Jihardists. So if its "acceptable" to think every Muslim is a potential terrorist (its not), then you'd say every white male was too (also not acceptable). Now White supremacists? Bet your bippy, they are the problem, there is a long history in Europe and the USA of killing.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Also people that watch Forensic Files and read books on serial killers - they need to be red flagged too.

Oh my goodness! I had to stop there.i love forensic files, not for the crimes but for the scientific detective work to catch the bad guy or gal!the technology and science is absolutely fascinating.

Common sense says that even if it took years to discover the criminal being portrayed, it is extremely obvious now...thus why they show why you will be caught!

Now, after my little rant...I need to get back to reading. As far as OP goes. Video gaming is the isolation that exists in today's technology. Culture and family relations have all been split from the day to day contact to the faux image one creates. This deceitfulness has influenced all social realms like community, family, culture, and yes, religions.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I was being facetious about 'red flagging' people based on what form of entertainment they're into (in this case Forensic Files lol). I don't think we should mark anyone based on this stuff.

I am still a little scared of people that watch Crime TV all the time though.
Bwhahahahah

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Thank you. I can easily take much of what you say for balancing my own considerations on the issue, especially your last comments , here specifically.

What is wrong, is giving excuses for these terrorists. They are scum, who planned it, and do it for zealous reasons.

Having a strong liberal persuasion myself, i always look for the cultural and social causes for not only aberrant behavior but just about all behavior patterns, the old nature nurture conundrum. I do agree though that this game of one bad guys fantasies opposed to another bad guys fantasies serves only the purposes of those who lack the will to look more deeply into our rambling wreck lovingly called Western Civilization. Did I go to far there with my hyperbole?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

So what I will say about those games, is that especially the Multi player ones, allow them to practice tactics. Its a tool, they previously would not have had. Though older mass shootings, with Veterains, showed similar planning. But we do now have little cowardly punks, who the armed forces would laugh at, skilled up in tactics.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think we should use horrifying acts of violence as a pretext for locking down our society so tightly that no one can do anything evil, and giving our government all the power it needs to make us all safe to live our lives peacefully beneath their unflinching, watchful eyes.

But admittedly, I'm just going along with the crowd on that.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

How about we oust the Deep State for running these false flags. Sure there are legit mass shootings. But some of these crazy are groom mkultra loonies set loose.
edit on 7-8-2019 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have watched and participated in the video game culture since it's beginning as well. Your assessment is about like mine, having lived through all that.

I was into D&D board gaming, starting with taking notes and drawing maps then using store bought adventures with figurines and other graphic aids. I moved on to the Vic 20 and Commodore computers playing D&D video games and preferred those games that most closely followed the board game format. As systems and games improved, I enjoyed those games that have your game characters develop by gaining experience and acquiring better equipment. Other games like Civilization, Age of Empires, or World of War Craft appealed to me as well due to the "leveling up" factor and having to use different tactics to "win" the games.

I my case, "leveling up" was the prime motivation. Becoming stronger, more powerful, dominating over weaker foes, was the reward for building up your character or side of the game. Perhaps this feeling of accomplishment, of becoming stronger, better, etc. is part of the fascination with real life violence and perhaps video games encourage this behavior in people who can't get ahead in the real world.

Otherwise, I do see your point about political party agendas using whatever issue suits their purpose at the moment rather than dealing with these problems through cooperation.
edit on 8-8-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
None of the studies you think you remember reading say anything about causation. There are correlations, yes, but the same correlations exist from watching movies or tv, reading books or even -- GASP -- looking at a picture of a gun or weapon.

As usual, the most brilliant man on the internet breaks it down for us. Thank God for him.

(I don't believe for a second that there is a way to get rid of the "assault" weapons" (lol) but his refutation of the video game thing is a tour de' force in breaking the ignorance barrier.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join