It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Theory on the current crop of mass shootings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In every day-to-day interactions there are winners and losers.

True.

Not everyone can be rich, not everyone can be successful, and so forth. There will always be people at the bottom. And in between.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

As a 30 year old, I agree.

As other members have pointed out, it's possible their parents had a lighter dose of entitlement that manifested into something worse.

But at the end of the day, reading your responses to such ideas, adults are accountable for their own actions.

We're all dealt a hand. And we can rise to the occasion, or succumb to perceived injustice. We see it take many forms, but at the end of the day, we are in control of our own destiny. And often, adversity is what can shape us or break us.

I say all that not seeking excuses, rather understanding.
edit on 6-8-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Part of he No Kids Left Behind plot

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Everyone has a theory.

I'm pretty sure that this is your hypothesis currently, rather than a theory.

In order for it to be a theory you'll need evidence to support it, like for instance, you'd need to show examples of at least one mass shooter who was given a trophy for failing or given passing grades when they were not really passing.

I don't know either way yet, because these kids could have theoretically been doing OK in school and not really needing free trophies. They could have actually done well in athletics for all I know.

Do we have any evidence to support your hypothesis ?
So far this is merely conjecture.
It makes sense sure, but we don't have any proof that I know of yet to support it.
Maybe you're wrong?

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

And isn't it interesting how so many people automatically agree with your hypothesis despite the lack of evidence to support it? I'm not exactly sure why people are so readily in agreement here.

In reality the trend of giving out free trophies isn't as widespread or extreme as your OP presents it, it happens yes, but children play video games and lose all the time on them. They still have to face basic circumstances like the girl they have a crush on doesn't feel the same way back, or they break something and have to deal with that mistake, etc.

So I'm not sure this is even a good hypothesis, because I'm not even sure the premise is valid to begin with.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
DBCowboy, your post is insulting a large group with generalization that is a little too wide, home dog.

You want to talk and argue about generations being afraid of egg shells, and not being able to cope?

Your generation is afraid of:

Outsourcing jobs (Globalization isn't NECESSARILY bad, and fearing it is xenophobic and short sighted.)

A particular candidate winning elections (They are all garbage, and my generation both accepts this, and hates yours for trying to play favorites between two pieces of feces with campaign managers.)

Accepting that there isn't one good single cause to point at, for the media reports of mass shootings. (The United States is not the entire world, and if you were to talk to Liberia about the US mass shootings, you might literally get laughed out of the room.)

Not blaming someone or something. (My generation knows when blame won't solve anything, not to bother doing it. Your generation loves fixing things that aren't necessarily broken. My generation accepts that we can't do or fix anything, because YOUR GENERATION WILL NOT LET US. We can't play with the power tools of politics. Guns are a secondary recourse, if we could get the 80 and 90 year old people out of making laws that affect us 20-30 year olds, talk to me about "adult tools"
The "adult tools" are the 100 year old people sitting in SCOTUS, Congress, and local governments.

As long as your generation has stupid laws involving things like "banning things that are naturally occurring on planet Earth, from the possession of citizens". While bureaucratically knick knacking all the legislation that WAS good, until it sucks.

While... You all refuse to leave legislative and political positions of power no matter how disconnected you become with the age and economic demographic of the constituents you represent...

Guess what. Second amendment and gun possession was almost verbatim made for that situation.

I'm not telling people to shoot OLD law makers. I'm suggesting that those law makers step down after serving more time in a power position, than some people serve in prison, for literal Felony First Murder.

Legislators and Politicians should NOT have the ability to sit in power, longer than someone serves time for murder.

Think about it. That is literally a recipe, where eventually, someone can weigh in one hand: Kill a lawmaker. Weigh in the other hand: Someone closer to my viewpoint may change things.

If a law maker can sit in power for 80 years, but I only serve 40 years for felony first, after cutting a deal or some horse hockey, then that equation starts to weigh in a bad way.

It becomes more "economically" worth it, to literally kill someone, because they may negatively affect my life, or the life of others with my viewpoint, for longer than I would sit in prison, for killing them.

That's reality. Sorry you don't like that some people aren't properly channeling this angst, but you ass holes are indeed creating it. Not us.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Don't forget the pot stirring peeps ……………...the politicians, media, lawyers. They are very good at what they do to the people without social/living skills. They make the tastiest/smoothest Kool-Aid.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I am still yet to see any problems which are uniquely American

lots of replies regarding social media, bad parenting, isolation, millenials, violent video games, success, lack of success

ALL and I mean ALL of these things are happening in other nations, but the Mass shooting are not, what is the truly unique difference?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Perhaps a contributing factor , another would be some people just lack empathy, a small percentage of people just don't feel and see things differently, they don't understand pain, the kind of psycho that will kill animals as a child, kill out of curiosity or whatever it is without feeling a thing.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

I am still yet to see any problems which are uniquely American

lots of replies regarding social media, bad parenting, isolation, millenials, violent video games, success, lack of success

ALL and I mean ALL of these things are happening in other nations, but the Mass shooting are not, what is the truly unique difference?

We have easier access to fire arms.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Life has become severely devalued.

The percieved value of other people's lives is now being reduced to an equasion of: "Does that particular life exist to further my own convenience?---Will it benefit me?"

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

The percieved value of other people's lives is now being reduced to an equasion of: "Does that particular life exist to further my own convenience?---Will it benefit me?"

Look at the value of life in an abortion debate.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Look at the value of life in an abortion debate.

It's so low...it's not even called a 'life'.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Societal interaction has become a marriage of convenience to many today.

Those whom don't praise us, agree with us, make our life more convenient, or make us feel better about ourselves...are disposable.

To these mass-shooters, disposing of these inconvenient impediments to our self-esteem...becomes a case of taking lemons...smashing them...and making lemonade.
edit on 7-8-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It's a Facebook society where our worth is gauged by how many likes we get. And the devastating impact when some don't get enough "likes".

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

It is literally a case of fantasy obscuring reality.
Fantasy, being...I'm wonderful...I'm special...and everyone needs to see that, or I hate them.
Reality, being...what doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and nobody owes me anything---I have to earn it.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Serial killers have dropped off.

Could it be that due to dna and cameras this is the only way to get the numbers.

Who knows, hard to make sense of crazy.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
There’s a lot I agree with in the OP, for sure.

Regarding people who grew up f*cked, I was certainly one of them and it came to a head in my 20’s. I won’t go into details of my childhood but essentially, I was raised by people who had no business being parents, who had zero coping mechanisms. Thankfully, I got to see what “normal” was with my friend’s families, the few who actually let their kid hang out with a downtown, welfare kid whose stepdad was in the police log every 6 months.

I pushed a lot of it away by focusing on music and making a career of that, however, my inability to face life head-on was lacking severely. I barely remember my 20’s due to drinking through the majority of it. Around my late 20’s I was pretty bad off, mentally and physically. I knew full well that I was well on my way to alcoholism and didn’t give a sh!t.

I had a manager at work who was the only person who wouldn’t cower to my temper or mindf*cking (I was a master manipulator for YEARS) who sat me down one day after a fairly violent outburst where I almost really hurt several people by smashing a large plate into a wall from 15ft away. “What the f*ck is wrong with you?” was all that was needed to be asked and 20 minutes later I was at a bookstore checking out some new age-y self help books.

The timeline of that isn’t in order, the plate incident happened when I was 23 and I didn’t start kicking my own ass until my late 20’s, but some 13 years later, I see how that manager kicked off my personal responsibility.

Once I held the right people accountable for their actions and in-actions during my childhood, it cleared a lot off my plate. I no longer cared about putting the blame on them while I resisted life like a bitch. After that it was down to finding out how to fit myself into a competitive world where I had zero interest in the competition itself. What it came down to was “If you don’t do A, you can’t have B.”, and then figuring out how to make a 30 year old child accept the fact that time has run out on living the childhood dream of being a rockstar because life has caught up, bills need to be paid and I had to respect the fact that by that point, I was in a long term, successful relationship with an amazing person who carried me for nearly years while I was a mess.

I’m friends on social media with many people I grew up with, who are still blaming everyone else for their failures. They definitely got handed the sh!t end of the stick as well, but are doubling down on “This is how I was raised so f*ck it”.

Kids like me and those aforementioned people I grew up with certainly didn’t get coddled or admired for barely participating, we were held to the flame regardless of winning or losing. If we did something good, it wouldn’t go noticed, if we did something bad, it was just another reason to be yelled at or beaten. I’m just now letting go of the fact that I’ll never impress my father, who himself never achieved anything “great” and is little more than a child in a 62 year old’s body.

Self-awareness is at the root of a lot of this stuff. Staying stuck in your head that your this or that when neither is true because it’s all bullish!t and not realizing it.

I suppose a lot would be different if someone told me as a teen, “if you don’t push yourself in directions you don’t want to go, your life will suck because this, this and that”
Whether that were a parent or a school counselor, it would have helped. Alas, I was a scrubby downtown kid and the overwhelming majority of teachers and school officials in my town deemed us as already failures. As much as people want to push racial divide (which I’ve seen plenty in action with my own eyes to know it’s an issue) economic divide is another serious issue. I grew up in a VERY white city in Maine, but because I was poor, I was often looked down upon by the middle class adults around me. That’s something I have no problem saying as a level-headed 36 year old who is no longer angry at the world. Between getting beaten by my mother’s boyfriends, having dirty diapers rubbed in my face while people laughed, my parents telling me I was a piece of sh!t daily and successful adults unrelated to me looking down on me because my parents were poor, I came out thinking exactly that, I was a piece of sh!t who deserved to be miserable in life.

Sorry for the diatribe/tangent, just trying to offer some insight to what it’s like growing up without the participation awards or recognition for doing nothing.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Tech has improved to catch more killers before they can become 'serial'...and potential killers, themselves, have just become more stupid.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

You learned how to adult.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join