It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we even entertain the loss of freedoms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

Blah, blahblah, blah blah.

Why do so many now endorse a loss of freedoms?

Another internet analogy was this;

A herd of sheep saw a wolf eat one of their bretheren.

They saw the wolf use it's teeth to tear and rend the flesh of their flock member.

They saw teeth as a danger.

So the sheep removed all their teeth to be safer.

Why do we (as a culture) support and endorse people who want to remove our freedoms?

Yes, something tragic happened. It happened twice in a day! Guess what!

It'll happen again.

It's bcause we live in a society that embraces freedom, good/bad/indifferent.

Most people appreciate the freedoms we have, the freedoms and not to infringe on the freedoms of others.

Some bad people do not.

But we don't want to infringe on the rights of everyone else because a few bad people did bad things, do we?

We are we even entertaining this?

Why would we give up freedoms?

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because some people did something.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Because some people did something.

You are correct. Why did Americans give up freedom after 911? Was it because politicians took advantage of Americans who were grieving and emotionally distraught? The same thing occurs every time tragedy strikes. Politicians jump forth to push legislation that limits we the people while increasing their own governmental power. It is a douchebaggery thing to do to an individual in a grieving stage let alone to the whole American populace.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
A lot of people feel as though personal responsibilities can be easily "outsourced" to someone else and they will lose nothing.

I think it's a pretty modern phenomena(last 3 to 400 years) in the grand scheme of humanity.

The reality is that even though we live(well....not me, but humans) in large dense areas surrounded by thousands of people(that will take "care of us"). We are truly no better off(and bare no less sense of responsibility for ourself) than if you were alone on a deserted island.
edit on 4-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

"We" don't
"Give me liberty , or give me death"
The way I look at it

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Sadly, as convinced as those of us that agree with you are, those who disagree are somehow equally convinced.

edit on 4-8-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

We give up our freedoms because the government has way better armaments than the citizenry. The government is not afraid of its citizens.

edit on 4-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
"those who sacrifice... Blah blah"

Those with the iq unable to realize that anything can be used as a weapon but we hardly hear mass trashcan killings, we surely need to write laws which conforms to today's society not hundreds of years ago.

I'm sure the forefathers if the they were here today, they would say what are you forking stupid, obviously it was a totally different Era and different threats we were talking about.

But I take your point. More guns is the solution, logically. Like more aids is the solution to aids and more cancer is the solution to cancer. The more guns logic works somehow.

How much more absent minded can a population be, better yet, how many more dead will help with the realization.

We get it, they said guns are a right, it's a right that is earned, growing up to 18 is not an accomplishment. And those with the brilliant military "gotcha", yes they give guns to 18 yr Olds in the military, you also get training and need to be on duty to Cary a weapon which is a controlled item, it's also supervised, and if you're unstable no no no. You don't get a gun in the military, you get a med discharge, not go to a state where the laws are so laxed any mentalist can get one.

I hope the next inevitable mass shooting strikes a chord.

If the

edit on 4-8-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

It’s usually the people that have no clue of the sacrifices made to obtain the freedoms we have that don’t mind if there taken away. No skin off their back, so no big deal. It’s sad that they can’t recognize and respect the sacrifices others have made for them in order to have the quality of life that they take for granted.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Because the government has way better armaments than the citizenry?

And teleporters and those watches that freeze time.

They will always be there, even though technically it has been stated that they have no legal obligation to help you(like that officer that stood around outside the school while all the kids got killed).

He was there, he was the "government", he did nothing.

If some people don't want to trust themselves and chose him, that's fine.
Just don't tell others that trust in themselves to place a bet, of their life, on a coward.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

We give up our freedoms because the government has way better armaments than the citizenry. The government is not afraid of its citizens.

So you just give up and roll over?

Every government now and in the entire history of man governing his fellow man has feared it's citizens.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   
So we have a couple of people in this thread who don't want freedoms.

And it's still page one.

Interesting.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And it's still page one.

Interesting.

Not really, they are free to not want them if they feel they don't need them.

Some guy: "I don't need these freedoms, so I don't want them."

Me: "Good for you."

Some guy: "Because I don't want them, you shouldn't have them either."

Me: "Woah, wait a minute. Back that truck up. Not gonna happen."

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I'm sure the forefathers if the they were here today, they would say what are you forking stupid, obviously it was a totally different Era and different threats we were talking about.

I disagree. America's forefathers would be standing on their rights today. It was not so different of a era back then. Imperialistic government having an agenda of wanting to have complete control over its citizens. Sure weapons were of a different caliber but even then, the Brittish army far exceeded in military what the citizens had here on hand.

There is no difference. Our forefathers took a stand for we the people. Give me liberty or give me death had real meaning for a reason. The only difference nowadays is that we the people still have some semblance of control. We do have power so do not let the government or others negate that. If you give in...then we will revert back to simply peasants that are disposable.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And it's still page one.

Interesting.

Not really, they are free to not want them if they feel they don't need them.

Some guy: "I don't need these freedoms, so I don't want them."

Me: "Good for you."

Some guy: "Because I don't want them, you shouldn't have them either."

Me: "Woah, wait a minute. Back that truck up. Not gonna happen."

Oh no no no

Fascism works on the whole population, “we’re so weak and gutless that we’re offended and scared so now we’re gonna infringe upon YOUR rights”

But the best part is, the 2nd A will not be revoked in our lifetimes.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

We get it, they said guns are a right, it's a right that is earned, growing up to 18 is not an accomplishment

Just curious, do you feel the same way about all the other rights? Y’know, like you have to earn the right to worship the god you chose to worship, earn the right to speak your opinion? Earn the right to not have excessive bail? Earn the right to not have to quarter troops?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No man, American Empire first! For a secure and safety of the worlds freedom and democracy!

Anyways real free countries has militias defending the rights and freedom of the population from Military/police dictatorship control. I don't know, like the

Minute Men

or

Chinese Militia

Or right nvm Americans Militia are right wing terrorists.
www.youtube.com...

So does anyone wants to march into China right now?
edit on 4-8-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

link   
Probably because people are afraid of their neighbors and think loss of freedoms will control them.

link   

1) Some people buy into and embody fear.

2) Some people exploit events for their agendas, typically political.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join