It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[BREAKING] THE LATEST - Iranian fighter jet crashes near Persian Gulf

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The F-4 is a Vietnam era aircraft. Even the newest airframes in Iranian service are approaching 45 years old. They have basically rebuilt everything on them, and have done a really good job of keeping them going without any actual spare parts available, but accidents are going to happen.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

Hence the word "may".

Canny tell much really after it's been dragged from the Sea.

Does kind of ""look"" like its been on fire or received damage to the aft of the main fuselage and tail.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Have you seen an F-4 in flight? When the Thunderbirds flew them, they painted the tail of the Slot aircraft black, because it was so hard to keep the paint intact. You could see them coming for miles because they left such bad smoke trails.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yep, but so pretty I grew up where they kept turning long final at Dallas Naval Airstation...i was 12 way up in North Irving.

You're right they were smut butts

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Great plane for its time the Phantom

The tail section just looks rather damaged from the pic.

Don't need to be a missile that hit it for the engine to have caught fire all the same.

Plenty of technical problems could have caused that to happen, the antiquated nature of the engine and airframe being just some many i suppose.

Hope the pilot made it out ok?

The link takes me to a subscription thingamabob.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Iranian sources said both ejected safely.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

May as well be flying Sopwith Camels.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ServiusTull

Which begs the question, why not pick on someone our own size?

The answer is rather apparent, aside from it still being a M.A.D world.

"They" don't fight wars they might lose or with nations that possess a World Bank.

This whole affair is becoming ludicrous.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ServiusTull

The F-4 and F-14 are still very useful aircraft, and rather dangerous to everything outside the F-22 and F-35.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

There currently is no actual peer opponent for the US. There are near peer opponents, but you don't fight a war against someone that can hurt you badly, or could respond with nuclear weapons.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
We have the weapons to knock jets out of the air, using some sort of frequency or wave pulse technology. It messes with the electronic systems. A few countries have already developed that from what I have read some info on. I think our F35s have blocking ability, and parts of our ships are protected. I would think that Iran would have known if we used this on their plane, it is probably just a malfunction.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

According to ""Global Security"" Irans F-4Ds & Es are currently undergoing an upgrade program, which includes a new Chinese built radar and other avionics.

Also, the Qader cruise missile that went into mass production was successfully tested on an Iranian F-4.

Air launched medium-range anti-ship cruise missiles could be a problem given the current situation.

Don't see any tankers dodging cruise missiles, might even be able to take out a few warships.

But with F-22s and F-35s on the prowl would the Iranians even see them coming, with the over the horizon air to air capability?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

True indeed, probably best not to fight with Iran through as invasion of a "boots on the ground" variety would be a nightmare given the terrain alone.

Iran theoretically could have a few black market cold war era Russian nuclear warheads tucked away.

That could possibly make things interesting.

Probably best not to find out all the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Contrary to what you read here, Iran is no pushover. They've upgraded their F-4s and F-14s with Russian and Chinese avionics and weapons. They built their own version of the AIM-54. Their F-5s are nothing to sneeze at either. They've also been upgraded. The vast majority of any strike force we launch, if it's more than just a cruise missile attack, is going to be 4th Gen aircraft, meaning it's going to essentially be a peer fight in terms of weapons.

The F-22 can kick down the door in terms of air to air, and the F-35 can do SEAD to knock down the surface threat, but both are there in limited numbers so their effect will be limited. And depending on the AIM-120s that are in theater, they may have motor issues that will limit their effectiveness.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I don't ever imagine they would be a pushover.

A significant portion of there air defense and air force would be destroyed in any kind of fist strike scenario all the same, just like the gulf war, but what then?

Best to let the World Bank fight there own affairs, stage there own invasion, as i imagine bankers make for poor troops and invaders.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join