It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hispanic" - Oh FFS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In the wake of the El Paso mass shooting and an alleged "manifesto" written by one of the alleged shooters (), this irritating term "Hispanic" crops up again.

Are folks not aware that the current folks in Central and South America are descendants of Souther Europeans (predominantly Spaniards - froom Spain)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Spain in Southern Europe? Aren't Spaniards White Europeans?

So if this was written by him, he's allegedly railing against the invasion of Texas by white people?

WTF?
edit on 3-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: *railing

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

www.dictionary.com...

Hispanic
[ hi-span-ik ]
|
adjective
Spanish.
of or relating to Spanish-speaking Latin America: the United States and its Hispanic neighbors.
Also His·pan·o [hi-span-oh, -spah-noh] . of or relating to people of Spanish-speaking descent:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

www.dictionary.com...

Hispanic
[ hi-span-ik ]
|
adjective
Spanish.
of or relating to Spanish-speaking Latin America: the United States and its Hispanic neighbors.
Also His·pan·o [hi-span-oh, -spah-noh] . of or relating to people of Spanish-speaking descent:

So...white people.

So it's WoW? White on White crime?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Frankly theyre a mix of indegenous peoples (many with malaynesion DNA/think Amazon tribes), Portraguese, African, French (Maxmillian), Spanish and others.

My understanding of Hispanic, is just Spanish speaking, or some level of decent. Not sure its rant worthy though.
edit on 3-8-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You are wrong on basically everything. First, Hispania is the Roman term for Spain, which is where Hispanic comes from. It usually is used to mean Spanish speaking. The main difference is that Latino also includes Portuguese speaking people.

These people are not descendants of Spain, but they may and likely do have some Spanish blood.
edit on 3-8-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

You are wrong on basically everything. First, Hispania is the Roman term for ... Spain, which is where Hispanic comes from.

These people are not descendants of Spain, but they may and likely do have some Spanish blood.

No, the current folks in Central and Southern America are direct descendants from folks in Southern Europe.

The indigenous of Central and South America (what's left of them, anyway) are a very, very small number - in fact, some indigenous tribes still exist today.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
So...white people.

Hmmm, not sure how you came to that conclusion. You are aware that the Spaniards got it on with many of the indigenous folk down there, right??

link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Frankly theyre a mix of indegenous peoples (many with malaynesion DNA/think Amazon tribes), Portraguese, African, French (Maxmillian), Spanish and others.

My understanding of Hispanic, is just Spanish speaking, or some level of decent. Not sure its rant worthy though.

It is rant worthy. Because folks are just calling a group of white folk by a different name.

I submit that crimes like the El Paso shooting should be labelled as WoW crimes, White-on-white crime...

link   

False. There are a small number of 'pure' indigenous. The people are a mixture of Spanish and indigenous. Also Africans. They absolutely are not European.

link   
Wasn't there some inter-breeding with the original inhabitants, so that they would be a little mixed, genetically (as we all are)?

The equation of "Hispanic" with "non-white", whatever its accuracy, does go back a long way.
In West Side Story, don't the Puerto Ricans sing
"Things are all right in America...
If you'e a white in America".

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

So...white people.

Hmmm, not sure how you came to that conclusion. You are aware that the Spaniards got it on with many of the indigenous folk down there, right??

There were not a significant amount of indigenous folk. Many of them died from diseases etc, there was also the cruel enslavement of Native Americans (across the Americas) which saw large numbers perish from a variety of things.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Wasn't there some inter-breeding with the original inhabitants, so that they would be a little mixed, genetically (as we all are)?

The equation of "Hispanic" with "non-white", whatever its accuracy, does go back a long way.
In West Side Story, don't the Puerto Ricans sing
"Things are all right in America...
If you'e a white in America".

Mentioned in a post above that the number of indigenous was not hugely significant. See post above.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

False. There are a small number of 'pure' indigenous. The people are a mixture of Spanish and indigenous. Also Africans. They absolutely are not European.

You are incorrect. The "mixture" is not widespread.

Most of these folks who are labelled "Hispanics" are descendants of White Europeans much like many of the white folks who are in the United States up north, or the French-speaking Canadians even more up north...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yep. Some places have a higher percentage of European than others. 50/50 would be a good average for most places. Maybe 50% Euro, 45% indigenous, 5% African/Asian is good estimate.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I did research into the genetics of some of these countries in the very recent past. You are not correct. Hey, maybe I am wrong. I have Argentine friends, and iirc Argentine was the exception at having a large part of Euro DNA, about 80%.

Source where you are getting your data from.
edit on 3-8-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

There were not a significant amount of indigenous folk. Many of them died from diseases etc, there was also the cruel enslavement of Native Americans (across the Americas) which saw large numbers perish from a variety of things.

Well, you could've fooled me, because there sure seems like there's a lot of people living down there today who's origins line up with that. It even explains my existence.

I won't lie, I'm not sure what point you're really trying to make, but it feels stupid. As a hispanic male I find nothing wrong with the term, not really sure why you do. Good luck to anyone else trying to explain this to him.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

He is wrong. Genetic testing has already been done. Mestizos are on average about 50% European, more in some countries.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

And if you really want to dig back, Spaniards were conqured by the Moors, for a fair amount of time which had North African DNA thoroughly mixing into the blood streams of the Spanish people.

Hispanics are considered people of color, not that I care either way. They have remarkable quisine throughout central and S. America.

Seems youre suffering a little bigotry towards white folk, or Hispanics...tough to tell which it is, or both?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Spain was heavily controlled by Muslims for a while.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
"Hispanic" is a misnomer. Descendants of the original people (who were there long before Columbus got lost) are still around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join