It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haggling is brilliant, corporate national stores suck

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I love haggling or making deals, all my life, it's like a basic contract between two or more humans, so I try to use independent stores before anything aside from dirt cheap supermarket.
Market was in town today, smelled some fresh sugar coated doughnuts but they were 12 for £3.50 and I only had £1.10 on me. Asked the guy how much for 4, he said £1.50, I said only got 1.10 so I'll take 3 for that or I hobble away lol, he gave me 4 and laughed saying "I've had a good day for the coin mate so enjoy" Shook hands and I sat on a bench enjoying my lunch.

I can describe much bigger deal making from my life, and in countries around the world, but one thing is for sure, I love dealing with a fellow human, not an employee, not a corporation, but with people who are making decisions about their own personal coin 👍

Daft thread premise maybe, but please do share any thoughts on haggling and humans trading with each other as humans.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
hmmm ... as an avid garage saler at one time I loved haggling the price on certain items, not because I wanted to see if I could get it cheaper but because I felt they were charging too much for that particular used item. If I felt it was a fair deal, I didn’t dicker on the price because I didn’t want to be that cheapskate.

I know people whose only goal in life seems to be saving a buck. They use friends, store employees and other means to save a few cents or dollars and then brag about it.

I’m not saying to not be careful with how you spend your money, just saying to be careful with what types of thoughts you constantly fill your mind with. Someone who seems obsessed with constant savings doesn’t seem to live a well rounded life to me. I’m not talking about poor people here who need to watch every penny.. I’m talking about well to do cheapskates who always need a deal or they aren’t satisfied.

edit on 2-8-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure

Can't stand hagglers. Maybe at a garage sale, fine, but nowhere else is this acceptable behavior. When I worked retail, I had so many people say they were friends with the manager and always got a 15% discount. Hagglers can kiss 15% of my ass!

Edit: and even better when they handed me a pristine item and claim it was damaged. "Look, it's all scratched up! Can you take 20% off and maybe I can live with it.."

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I hate haggling, give my your fair best price and don’t waste my time. My price is this, it’s fair. If you don’t agree then move on I’m busy kid!! It’s the New York way. Mexicans always try to haggle, must be a culture thing, I just kick the out on there sombrero! Don’t waste my time, this is NYC!

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Lol mate, I live on £68 crappy critical injury/insurance policy money, saving every penny is more of a thing for me than you perhaps? I get my property taxes rebate, free healthcare, drugs, and stuff but gas, electric, water, food, and everything else like that comes out of that poxy £68 a week 😂

I apply for two or more jobs a day, but only being able to do stuff sitting down doesn't help getting even an interview, let alone a job offer! 😂

Yes I'm obsessed with saving money lol, obvs! You seem like a grump, this thread is about how cool it is striking deals with fellow humans, not about how piss poor I am and why saving money shouldn't be an issue in my life.

Edit, I see your edit 👍
edit on 2-8-2019 by Silure because: See "edit"

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 8 024602 1919 by WUNK22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Gosh, I never realised haggling was such a dirty word to Americans! Responses so far are like a corporate regional managers wet dream! 😂
...I'll take the flaming, but sounds to me like you don't like doing deals lol

Edit, his Trumpness would be disappointed, I may tweet him about this later 😂
edit on 2-8-2019 by Silure because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
I hate haggling, give my your fair best price and don’t waste my time. My price is this, it’s fair. If you don’t agree then move on I’m busy kid!! It’s the New York way. Mexicans always try to haggle, must be a culture thing, I just kick the out on there sombrero! Don’t waste my time, this is NYC!

Going back to garage sales...

I helped an uncle clear out stuff for one. He was pretty much asking a dollar for everything on the table, which was more than reasonable. T-shirts in good shape, one dollar each...set of juice glasses in good shape, one dollar etc.

Had a lady come up and offer a quarter for 2 shirts. Just no GTFO.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

why not go back to school for IT work and get a telecommute job? You can not only sit on your ass at work, you can do it in your boxers if you choose. Does your benefits include education opportunities?

It's never too late to reinvent yourself.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

Yeah, it is cultural. Some cultures, haggling is just a way of life. It is not considered disrespectful.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure

Should have offered your services to Theresa May ........

edit on 2-8-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I already have such experience and qualifications mate, no lack of my ability to do stuff sat down, from sales to anything else which can be done sat on my area.
Truth is crippled folk are not as usable flexible workers as non crippled folk are. Kinda obvious if you think about it, never had to before, but yeah, it is real.

I'm not moaning about that though, just celebrating cutting deals with people go save money.
Lmao, seems even that pissed some folk off! 😂

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Pmsl good topical political snipe! She was crap though, who the # goes into negotiations without threatening walk away if no deal?!
Smfh 😞

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I edited my post before I saw your reply. My post wasn’t meant for those who must stretch a dollar ( heck I look for the sale items in the stores )... it was more intended for those obsessed with haggling and always getting a deal, who can afford the finer luxuries in life.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye Yep, saw the edit, all good mate 👍
I'm still a haggled though, even when I've been rich, it's a deal between humans, if you don't want to sell at the price I'm offer I g then just politely say no. Must be a cultural thing because in my world we haggle, and I love it even if I'm buying or selling 😂

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's pretty much standard procedure to haggle for a car in the States. If you pay MSRP you're doing yourself a disfavor. It only happens if the car is brand new and there's a strong market for it, such as the new C8 Corvette. But for your garden variety pick-up haggling is expected, made very much easier by the Interwebz.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Haggling can be fun, I'm not huge on it but if the opportunity arises I will. There's always a way to cut a fair deal that'll leave both parties smiling and I totally get where you're coming from with the human element of haggling/trading and doing it fairly.

Call me stupid but I've gave more than the asking price a few times in my life too. I wouldn't do that at a corporate store though. I've done it at restaurants and takeaways a lot though, even had a few deals made in my honour a few times.

Shy bairns got nowt as they say round here, I used to always be shy till I worked in the hospitality business, I learned a lot from my interactions with people... The kind of people who are shy, people who are genuinely happy when being quoted right and the greedy sods in life. I'm all about that genuine honest human interaction.

I'd say good thread man
got me thinking about some genuinely good memories.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure
a reply to: Sheye Yep, saw the edit, all good mate 👍
I'm still a haggled though, even when I've been rich, it's a deal between humans, if you don't want to sell at the price I'm offer I g then just politely say no. Must be a cultural thing because in my world we haggle, and I love it even if I'm buying or selling 😂

I understand your line of reasoning, especially considering you enjoy that emotional tug of war in bartering for an item.
Each to their own I guess. You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.😏😉

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.😏😉

If someone is going to low-ball like that, they might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Sheye
You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.😏😉

If someone is going to low-ball like that might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

Gosh, I'll reply to both of you for that, you sound really aggressive like working a deal is something to be angry about?!
Ffs all you have to say is no! I always thought the American dream was about humans dealing with fellow humans..,your world just seems angry that anyone would dare offer you less than asking price?
That sounds #ed up to me, just say no politely?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join