It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Guitarist of all time!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Who the best ax-man of them all........ill get the ball rolling on this one.............the god among men Jimi Hendrix!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Brian May of Queen without a doubt!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
so out of the 15 people who read this only 1 has an opinion about it? weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I assume that, when you say "Best Guitarist of all time!!" What you really mean is "Most Popular Elecric Rock Guitarist Since About 1965", right?

So you pick Jimi Hendrix because the ability to play a left handed guitar and end his riffs on a minor third rather than resolving to the tonic makes him some sort of magician.

And my guess is that you probably never even heard of Barney Kessel or Django Reinhardt or Tony Mottola?

How about Tony Rice or Clarence White or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Riley B. ("B.B.") King?

Or maybe Julian Bream or Christopher Parkening or Andres Segovia or Francisco Tarrega or even Niccolo Paganini, whose guitar playing was even better than his violin playing?

Sheesh.

Edited to fix "Stevie" for the kid.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
this is why we dont assume kids!
i pick jimi because there is no one better in my opinion...plain and simple
best tone, best lead, best riffs, best rythm, even some of the most beautiful chords ive ever heard....and btw his bass playing is sick too(watchtower)

and why mention jimmy ray before you mention his brother? far more talented....i saw jimmy open for clapton on his blues tour....if thats what you call one of the greatest guitarists of all time thats pretty pathetic in my opinion

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Tom DeLonge from blink182. Hes great!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xv13t-grlx

Wow...okay.....im glad Blink 182 called it quits, there latest stuff was starting to suck bad.

They cant hold a candle to punk bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, Ramones, Sex Pistols.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Gotta be rock,
gotta be rooted in blues,
gotta make you move,
gotta be Stevie Ray Vaughn.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Eric Clapton! There are others I like but he is my favorite.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xv13t-grlx

Yea, i hear he has learnt his fourth chord!

Best? Well, i wouldn't claim to know who the best is but my favs are Brian May, Jimi Page, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa and probably a few that i missed.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
what a question..!

Carlos Santana..of course..rembember: "Samba Pa Ti", "Black magic woman"..

but the new albums are not good as the old ones: e.g. "Moonflower"..or "Caravanserai"

regards

dc

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I always thought George Harrison was the best, with Frank Zappa in a close second.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im going with Joe 'The Satch" Satriani

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
I always thought George Harrison was the best, with Frank Zappa in a close second.

Damn, i forgot George in my last post!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by shorty

Originally posted by BangorangRufio

Damn, i forgot George in my last post!

That's a reach guys. The Beatles were great because they took us from the "single" to the "album" but the only one that was a good musician was Paul, he can play that bass. Passable on the piano.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yeah he was a good songwriter...and a good guitarist....but not quite the best of all time!!! trey anistasio of phish hasnt been mentioned hes up there.....but dont forget duane almond hes way up at the top

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
That's a reach guys. The Beatles were great because they took us from the "single" to the "album" but the only one that was a good musician was Paul, he can play that bass. Passable on the piano.

I have to disagree with you there. George's stuff was so complex but fluid at the same time; he had a style like no one else. You see that if you look at his music on paper. All of his solo stuff, the music he did with The Traveling Wilbury's (Harrison, Petty, Dylan, Lynne and Roy Orbison), the All Things Must Pass Album, all of that stuff was amazing. The only person I could compare him to today, besides Clapton, would be Steve Vai. They both have that dramatic, but sometimes bizzare/goofy sound to their playing.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
wow...comparing harrison and clapton!!?! cmon thats a stretch. U cant compare notes on a piece of paper here...that excludes so much...feel, tone, etc...harrison was great...but as a guitarist hes no clapton by any means.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
_uforia_ said it, Clapton is in the upper echelon, Harrison isn't.

A shout out to Tony Iomie. Lead and back up guitar work.

Surprising no one mentioned Page yet.
Not my fav. but great.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join