It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Talk About Doctor Who: Any Fans Out There?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yes!! I hated how real little we knew about these companions this time. Just a few things that they kind of addressed throughout the season but This doctor didn't even really have any kind of personal relationship with them. Plus she was completely ok with them just coming along and even randomly inviting more people. Was not like the Doctor at all

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thanks! I'll definitely have a look

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Probably a good idea if you're not ready to be disappointed

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Original Who was my favourite.
My Doctor was Tom Baker but in later years I erred toward John Pertwee.
The reboot I enjoyed, however it didn't have the same feel.
I've met Russel T Davies, Sylvester McCoy, Matt Smith and Karen GIllan. All lovely people.They even filmed in two friend's Bars.
I do have to say that like the majority of Auntie Beeb's output in recent years its a pille of the preverbial.
Littered with politically correct gubbins that has no place in the series.
I and many friends have vowed never to watch again.
I'll raise a glass to classic Who while watching my collection of DVDs and mourn the loss of a Male Doctor and REAL stories without a slant.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I never watched dr who when they made the gender switch. Figured it would suck

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I loved the show for literally decades but then BBC went all PC wonky and the first crack in the show was Peter Crapaldi. He was awful.

Now they're doubling down on the PC crap and I quit watching; didn't even finish Crapaldi's last season.

And of course the new writers are trash; but we're seeing that problem across the entire media experience. It seems the best writers have been gobbled up by the new digital service content providers like Amazon, Netflix, etc.

Whatever...........the show had a very good run for a while. Probably be canceled here shortly. The BBC is almost always broke.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I didn't care if it was male or female. Like OccamsRazor said, it fits the universe and we've met other Time Ladies in previous seasons. It was only a matter of time before they did it. I was Just hoping she would do the character justice but instead i feel like she was just a huge fan who randomly got the job. Like some of the Doctor's traits are there in a way but she's a little on the slow side and seems to try too hard.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I was greatly concerned about the PC influence infiltrating Dr. Who ... and unfortunately it turned out it did.

Of course it did. Can't expect anything less these days.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Didn't they barely have time together if any? I felt she connected far more with Matt Smith and Peter's. My favorite combo has to be Peter's and Hers. Very emotional from the beginning when she Wasn't sure she could accept him as the Doctor to the end when he was tortured for 4.5 billion years just to brimg her back from dying.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It felt to me like an impostor trying to act like the Dr. but failing. I also don't think she made the character her own, I kept thinking it felt as though she was a pale imitation of other Dr.'s.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
After reading the thread it appears there is no love for Doctor Who-Ha.

link   

I have a terrible migraine and didn't convey my message right. I meant I think it would have been pure magic to have had them together.

link   
a reply to: TonyS

Aww. I liked Peter. Not at first, of course, but he grew on me like the others and ended on a good note. I'd hate to see the show cancelled but it wouldn't surprise me after this last season. Bummer

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The message I got is there is no love for lazy writing and them pushing diversity over story.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

So so true! Exactly how I felt. Like she had spent her life preparing to Be a live theater version of the Doctor. In the past, the doctors have come on and have been so different from each other that it takes a minute to say "Oh there he is. That's the doctor we know". They bring their own separate personalities but at the same time they ARE the doctor and you can tell. With this lady shes just a jumbled mess of previous doctors all trying too hard to be the doctor. Its weird

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Exactly how I felt.

And don't get me started on the new intro music.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
The message I got is there is no love for lazy writing and them pushing diversity over story.

Meh, I just wanted to make a pun.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I actually appreciated it.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Thanks, I work hard at these things you know.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Peter Capaldi actually got closer than most of his predecessors to reviving the "tetchy old man" persona of the original Doctor, William Hartnell. I never quite accepted the second Doctor as the real thing, after getting used to Hartnell.
British viewers had known Capaldi most recently as the aggressive foul-mouthed political organiser of "The Thick of It" (I'm getting ready to watch "Veep" by the same writers). His Doctor Who persona was very mild in comparison with that. Also it was a good thing to start playing down the flirtatious relationship, which was getting overdone for the reasons explained in my thread.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join