It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To feed its 1.4 billion, China bets big on genome editing of crops

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
GMOs slowly failing in the west .. Move to the east and get the governments involved!

Feel bad for the chinese.

That's exactly what i thought!

Can't sell on the west? Hmmm who has tons and tons of people who don't have a choice and will have to eat it or else? What about China? Yes! That's a gold mine!

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Why don’t they just invest in large scale mice and cat farms?
Think I’ll order in some Chinese food...

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

GMOs slowly failing in the west

Source?

This one says otherwise.
www.nature.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It seems Ph.D. Michael Hansen, who is a senior scientist for the Consumers Union, who has studied genetically modified organisms (GMOs) for more than 20 years would agree that they are...

His work is mostly based on increased allergies due to GMO consumption though...

My Uncle was a farmer he’s retired now but he told me when these companies started out they paid them to use their products and paid them well the only condition was also that they had to post their signs along every edge of every crop at 100 meter intervals. And continue to use their products for x amount of years. Only the first year was free although the first years were fairly cheap after that the price hikes were non stop after that...
He blames the rapid decline of small farmers solely on GMO’s...
Most importantly he said don’t eat GMO products that stuff is no good for you...
edit on 2-8-2019 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

My uncle told me some cool stories too.

Small farms started declining before there were GM crops. And that's not good.

edit on 8/2/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Are you calling me or my Uncle a liar?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   

No more than I'm calling my uncle one.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Well as for my Uncle when it came to farming he was all business he greatly regretted playing his part in the production of GMO products so I know he was being entirely serious...
There would be no chance for tall tales from him when it comes to farming, hunting and fishing stories maybe but no not about farming...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I wonder if there are any uncle farmers out there who have a different point of view.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No more than I'm calling my uncle one.

Oh Phage you are in the wrong on this one, you believe data posted somewhere, have you verified it?

Also, that GMO is growing in the US doesn't mean it is good!! It just means the lobbyists are doing their job and paying for it

You just see some 'official data' and immediately you agree with it?

And here i thought you were a scientist of some kind, somehow
edit on 3-8-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

Oh Phage you are in the wrong on this one, you believe data posted somewhere, have you verified it?

Yeah. GM crop production is not fading.
www.ers.usda.gov...

Also, that GMO is growing in the US doesn't mean it is good!!
I don't believe I said it is. Either one.

Really? You haven't been here long. What gave you that impression? I don't believe I've ever made such a claim. Before or since you've been here.
edit on 8/3/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Yeah. GM crop production is not fading.
www.ers.usda.gov...

Also, that GMO is growing in the US doesn't mean it is good!!
I don't believe I said it is.

Really? You haven't been here long. What gave you that impression? I don't believe I've ever made such a claim. Before or since you've been here.

I said that the use of it doesn't mean it's good. The entire point of this thread it's obviously that it is not good for the Chinese because GMO is bad, if it grows in the US we all know why, not because people ask for it.

You like to derail the thread into an argument of why it is growing in the US?

Yeah i already can see you are not a scientist, but i thought you were since you keep disapproving things here and there and everywhere as if you have authority to do so. Clearly i was wrong

Again the point is that GMO is not good for Chinese people, as far as i can tell that's the thread OP

And second, who cares how much time i have been on ATS? Apparently i was somehow willed into existence the moment i joined ATS and did not had any experience in life before that? I have to go review my school records Phage because i was so sure i was on school just one year ago as well as yesterday. My entire life is a lie!!!!!!!

I may be a bot created by ATS just so i can pass butter and come here to annoy you?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Again the point is that GMO is not good for Chinese people,

Why do you say that?

I may be a bot created by ATS just so i can pass butter and come here to annoy you?
Yeah. Russian maybe. Or maybe a former member who was banned.

Who knows?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Again the point is that GMO is not good for Chinese people,

Why do you say that?

Yeah. Russian maybe. Or maybe a former member who was banned.

Who knows?

LMFAO! Phage is paranoid? LMFAO! I never thought of you like that in the time i was here

No Phage, i'm not someone who got banned, ask a mod about it LOL

As my profile pic says, i am Alisa Sokolova and i even contacted a mod before i added my account so they would know i was creating it

However you don't display your name, maybe you have something to hide? Hmmmmm LMFAO! (going full time paranoid as you
)

About the first question, isn't it obvious, why are you running around the intent of the OP?

shining science making things grow to help people?
or does this fall into the MST3K category of 'meddling in God's domain'?

I'm all in favor of more food but I fear the 'unintended consequences' part

and this being a conspiracy forum, would it be feasible for the Chinese to engineer a sterile wheat or corn and spread it in the West to cause famine?

I just don't know what this genetic engineering could bring about.

feedback welcome. tell me I'm worried bout nothin.

It is clear he is not in full acceptance and leaning to the side of 'not good'. Can we stop running around the issue please?

Who cares if the US and its legal corruption through lobbyist army is winning on this side, we're talking about the legal corruption of the China gov through 'do or else' implementation of GMO will affect people in China or not?

Russian maybe

I was born in Russia, never lied about it, and very proud!

I also have family in Japan and in America, very proud also! So i guess since i don't agree with you and i have mixed blood now you must also hate Japanese and Americans

Didn't think it was a problem for you, Xenophobic much? I guess i must have evil intentions if i provide my point of view because of the evil Russian blood running on my veins

Honestly WTF dude, why go into may nationality, what's wrong with you

I was born in Russia and i also have lived in the US for lots of years since i was a kid and in other countries in the Americas and Europe, you have no clue.

People are dumb and messed up, you for example.

Yee this is all messed up, i thought better of you. F*k this

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Starvation or GMO crops?

I have read some of Chinas bloody history where their people were forced to eat grass and tree bark to survive. I don't think any of them are looking for a repeat of that past.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   

As my profile pic says, i am Alisa Sokolova and i even contacted a mod before i added my account so they would know i was creating it

That's kind of weird. I just registered when I joined.

Yee this is all messed up, i thought better of you.
Why?

edit on 8/3/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   

There are times in everyone's life when they realize they are just another brick on the wall, this maybe the the one for you LMFAO!!

Yee this is all messed up, i thought better of you.
Why?

And here i thought you would stop the lame part. Jebus!

Any word about the Russian thing you said? Or are you just going to pretend it did not happen LMAO

How about the actual thread OP, or are you just discussing me and where i was born?

Also...

No s*it genius, has anyone ever registered before they joined? Or registered after they joined?

It looks like you ran out of the green juice man. But you probably can't get at all what i meant by that so go to sleep already

Dobroye uto, Buen dia!, Good morning and Ohayo Hozaimazu! LMFAO!

Oh, any word about GMO's in China?........ Or are we going to play dumb again over and over and over...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Just remember, even if you wash it off, it depends if the compound detoriates with sunlight, time or just dilutes, then it might end up in the ground or groundwater table.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I heard locally that most farmers either go big or die. It has less to do with the crops but the mentality of the family run farmer business is over and now it is just cold hard numbers or drown in dept.

Most farmers here do have a second and third job (firefighter) because of that. They can not afford to go big so they do it in the last generation as their kids do not want to do this. Some have specialized on meat and fresh products through direct marketing and it seems the people like that more than supermarkets.

It is where I get all my meat, milk, potatoes and even dry noodles from.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
most crops today are hybrids, and the resulting grains are not suitable for seeds. most will grow but won't produce normal heads/ears.
this predates GMOs.

hybrid grains usually means the farmer only gets one crop and can't re-use for next year.
farmers with $ have no problem buying their seed (relatively cheap) but I'm sure not so easy in the third world.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join