It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fabulous London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
How the London Bridge Ended Up in Arizona

In 1962, the London Bridge (131-years-old at the time) was discovered to be sinking into the Thames, unable to handle 21st century traffic demands. By 1971, it was reborn in a new planned community of 8,000 people ... in Arizona.

Robert McCulloch, founder of the Lake Havasu City, won the old bridge with a $2,460,000 bid at the City of London's auction in 1968. McCulloch then spent another $7 million to have it moved to the community he established in 1964.

The bridge's exterior granite blocks were numbered and transported by ship, then rebuilt over a reinforced concrete structure built on land in-between the main part of the city and Pittsburgh Point, a peninsula connected to Lake Havasu. After the bridge was reconstructed, the Bridgewater Channel Canal was dredged under the bridge and flooded.

Wonder how much a bid for the Eiffel Tower would cost? The Tour d'Eiffel would look great in Kingman, AZ!
edit on 30-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Isn't there some sort of urban myth that alleges the guy who bought the bridge actually thought he was buying Tower Bridge, something slightly more recognisable and iconic?

en.wikipedia.org...

Many still mistake the two despite their being quite a few London Bridges over the years.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
At some point I've done a post on this story, but I don't remember the context and can't find it again. That's going to bug me now.
I do remember posting a Youtube video or two of the song "London Bridge is falling down", with Tower Bridge very clearly in the background, showing that some people at least were getting confused.

edit on 30-7-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It was officially dedicated at a ceremony on October 10, 1971. A Los Angeles Times report at the time called it "a bizarre ceremony combining hoary English pomp and Arizona informality." McCulloch, Sir Peter M. Studd, lord mayor of London, "other London officials, their ladies and 17th century pikemen" were in attendance, along with 25,000 spectators.

Fun Fact: I was there! I was 10 and I remember it was pretty strange. My grandmother was from Liverpool so my Dad thought she'd enjoy the trip and the grand opening. Turned out not so much lol.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

It was officially dedicated at a ceremony on October 10, 1971. A Los Angeles Times report at the time called it "a bizarre ceremony combining hoary English pomp and Arizona informality." McCulloch, Sir Peter M. Studd, lord mayor of London, "other London officials, their ladies and 17th century pikemen" were in attendance, along with 25,000 spectators.

Fun Fact: I was there! I was 10 and I remember it was pretty strange. My grandmother was from Liverpool so my Dad thought she'd enjoy the trip and the grand opening. Turned out not so much lol.

Liverpool in England, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I read recently how the Statue of Liberty is copper, yet greened out due to oxidation, so would shine like a bright penny were it ever polished up.
Or how the Pyramids were white!
Historical landmarks have amazing histories, wouldn't it be noce to have a time machine to go back and watch these things happen

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MahatmaGanja
I read recently how the Statue of Liberty is copper, yet greened out due to oxidation, so would shine like a bright penny were it ever polished up.
Or how the Pyramids were white!
Historical landmarks have amazing histories, wouldn't it be noce to have a time machine to go back and watch these things happen

Never knew the Pyramids were once white. Intriguing!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: underpass61

Liverpool in England, right?

Yep

top topics

join