It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of people are asking president Trump to change the date of Halloween

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   

It’s only July, but Americans already have Halloween on their minds.

A year-old petition to move the date of Halloween to the final Saturday of the month (Oct. 25 this year), from Oct. 31, is gaining renewed traction online and fast approaching its goal of 75,000 signatures. The petition was launched last year by the Halloween & Costume Association (HCA), a trade association of businesses which focuses on promoting the holiday in the US.

The petition had close to 68,000 signatures as of Friday morning (July 26). If it reaches 75,000, organizers will send it to US president Donald Trump for consideration. (The petition is one of 2,300 on change.org which listed Trump as the “decision maker.”)

It’s not clear what has reignited interest in

Thousands of people are asking president Trump to change the date of Halloween

In my opinion this is ludicrous and even kind of silly. What I meen to say is that Halloween has become a tradition to many of us just like ohhh I don't know..... say Christmas. So yeah , let's all change that date also and see how that goes over for the trumpsters amongst us. My guess is that there would be riots in O the streets and perhaps a few santa clause lynchings also. Do not do this and please washington stay out of this one.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

I think it's a great idea. Rather have my kids out on the weekend than a school night. It's no fun when they have to come home and go right to bed.

edit on 30-7-2019 by FauxMulder because: Boo

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They can not change the date of Halloween.
They can change the celebration date.

+2 more 
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I think it's a great idea. Rather have my kids out on the weekend rather than a school night. It's no fun when they have to come home and go right to bed.

Except for all the thousands , thousands and thousands of kids that had fun on Halloween school-nights over the past decades.

I already feel bad for the generations that will miss the fun that Halloween used to be... Get a costume on, grab a pillow case and go out with friends until the Fire Department Siren goes off telling you it's time to go home.. Now it's kids txting as they walk down the street surrounded by parents who are also txting.

link   

I cant say it's really a bad idea.
December 25th is a birthday and should stay there.
July 4th is a celebrated day and should stay.

But days like Thanksgiving, memorial day, labor day all fall on days of the week instead of specific dates.
As far as I know, nobody celebrates the 31st so i dont see a problem changing that to a Saturday.

I want superbowl Saturday as well.
Being on sunday leads to brown bottle flu on monday....lol

A side question, is this something the president would handle of some other part of the government?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
They can not change the date of Halloween.
They can change the celebration date.

That's a good point.
Mlk day is not his birthday.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Is Halloween a legally-declared national holiday in America?
If not, where do they get the idea that anyone has the power to change the date?
If people are celebrating that date because they choose, who's going to be able to make them change to a different one?

P.S. And trying to stop people celebrating on the current date is probably unconstitutional. Freedom of speech, you know.
edit on 30-7-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

December 25th is a birthday and should stay there.

No it isn't. It's an approximate calculation. If you read up on the celebration of Christmas you may be surprised. Christmas was even banned in the 17th century because it had become a drunken orgy.

Same thing happened with All Hallows Eve (Halloween)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

It’s not clear what has reignited interest in the petition.

The petition was launched last year by the Halloween & Costume Association (HCA), a trade association of businesses which focuses on promoting the holiday in the US.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say money. If is Halloween always on a Saturday then more people can participate.

I'm also seeing a subtle push to make Christmas in July more official. TV, movies, sales, etc. I'm sure retailers would love to add a second Christmas shopping season to the year to boost the bottom line.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I know that it's an approximation.
But it is an agreed apon date.

Just like most religious "facts" there is usually more to the story.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Make a celebration weekend out of it? Sure. Sounds like a good idea.

But Halloween festivties pre-date modern America by centuries and was imported from Europe. So I am not sure even the almighty Trump could change the date of it.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, there goes celebrating Halloween at work. Halloween is my favorite holiday. It's the only day of the year I can act like a 10 year old and no one blinks an eye.

I am well known at my place of employment for my Halloween costumes and my whole family dresses up and walks the neighborhood on Halloween. Soon, I think my son will be too old to go out on Halloween and I will no longer have an excuse to put on a costume and pretend to be someone I am not for a day.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Why would they have to stop? That could still happen on Friday.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
What do they think Trump can do? Its not a federal or state holiday. Meaning you need to petition to have it a national holiday first. Then if congress approves than you can change the date

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Santa clause lynchings? Dude, take a breath before you fall off the stool you're on.

Its really not a big deal. It's safer for the kids, its better for business, and theres really no reason except "Mah tradition"

So take a chill pill and relax. You're the equivalent of an old man screaming at the sky.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
On a serious note, I think the HCA has it all wrong. I think they should be lobbying to change the Halloween celebration date to the last FRIDAY of October (not Sat.). That way, they could cash in on all the work world costume contests during the day, and the kids part of Halloween in the evening.

For whatever it's worth, I have no issue with this date change. I think it's actually a good idea, frankly. Having Halloween on a weeknight is just a recipe for tragedy anyway...people racing home from work to take Jr. trick-or-treating and other kids out already making the rounds on the streets.

And lastly, Halloween has pretty much become a joke anymore anyway. Parents taking their kids around in cars to go trick-or-treating. When I was a kid we went out on serious expeditions on foot trick-or-treating, complete with toilet paper and soap (trick), and a haul bag for the (treats). Now it's 'Helicopter Parents Night'. And no, there isn't more crime now than there was then, you just hear about it more.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

People are dumb. Celebrate whenever you want, but Halloween is October 31, not "the last Saturday of the Month." Why are so many people anti-reality now? I get the punk rock impulse, but this is some serious Don Quixote level madness.

And don't start about your kids. This is 2019 and most of us are shutting the lights off and not answering our doors, no matter what day you send your spawn a-Viking.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I guess there's only one solution, make the day after a bank holiday/public holiday

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Halloween is a pagan holiday and I DO NOT celebrate it at all.The
same goes for Christmas and Easter.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

That's assuming you live in a place where people go out and trick-or-treat. Where I live, if you go out, it's mostly to safe venues like strip malls or church parking lots.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join