It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mamma elephants gets retribution for baby's death

page: 1

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
We can probably all agree that animals are smarter than we think they are.
Here's proof.
Baby is electrocuted.
Mamma destroys transformer.
Seems like thought processing to me.
www.thenewsminute.com...

It was an act of vengeance and anger that many would not only be moved by but would wholeheartedly forgive. A grieving elephant who watched her two-year-old calf electrocuted to death near Palamaner in Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor district, returned a day later to slay the villain who killed her baby – a transformer pole.

The incident took place on Sunday morning on a stretch of the Koundinya Wildlife Sanctuary when the mother elephant was walking along with her calf when it brushed past the transformer. While the baby elephant died of electrocution, the distressed mother unsuccessfully attempted to pick up the carcass from the ground.

Must have been a horrible death, and awful for the mother.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Elephants seem to have emotions that are very similar to humans. They are known to return and handle the bones of other elephants that have passed away. They appear to be fairly intelligent.
edit on b000000312019-07-26T18:36:22-05:0006America/ChicagoFri, 26 Jul 2019 18:36:22 -0500600000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That. Was an endearing story.

The Elephant won, as far as retribution goes. Sad about the calf though.

Star and flag for you!
edit on 26-7-2019 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yes. There is some evidence that elephants cry as a grief emotional response.

Anyone who has bonded to an animal has seen the emotional side of that critter. We humans think we're so very evolved above everything else, but all the critters feel and hurt. They might not indulge in some of the self -destructive emotions of humans (guilt, shame, etc.), but they feel and show it.

As a kid, when our 24-year old mare laid down and died, the gelding who'd linked to her was inconsolable. He ran back and forth all day, crying out and at night laid down in the exact spot in which she'd died. This went on for weeks. He wouldn't eat or drink. He was never really the same after that, and two years later, he laid down and died, even though he was but 17 years old. His name was Spooks, and hers was Suzy. She dominated him all his life, never allowing him to walk ahead of her. She always took first dibs on food, but when they ran together, they ran like the wind.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Elephants are very intelligent and very social creatures, true.

The interesting part of this story, to me, is not that the mother killed the transformer on the spot, like she neutralized the threat, but that she apparently went back the next day to # it up.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I am a sucker for animals.

My heart goes out to the Mother. Watching your child die is beyond brutal. If she destroyed the pole, who is gonna blame her?

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: butcherguy

Yes. There is some evidence that elephants cry as a grief emotional response.

Anyone who has bonded to an animal has seen the emotional side of that critter. We humans think we're so very evolved above everything else, but all the critters feel and hurt. They might not indulge in some of the self -destructive emotions of humans (guilt, shame, etc.), but they feel and show it.

As a kid, when our 24-year old mare laid down and died, the gelding who'd linked to her was inconsolable. He ran back and forth all day, crying out and at night laid down in the exact spot in which she'd died. This went on for weeks. He wouldn't eat or drink. He was never really the same after that, and two years later, he laid down and died, even though he was but 17 years old. His name was Spooks, and hers was Suzy. She dominated him all his life, never allowing him to walk ahead of her. She always took first dibs on food, but when they ran together, they ran like the wind.

I'm not sure that is so much "emoution" going on with the gelding, but more like an S&M like relationship. When the master dies, what does the slave do? when can he eat if master hasn't eaten first? Where can he go if not lead by master?

I'm not so sure it was purely emotional but maybe it was. I'm not sure how the S&M world runs, but it sounds pretty similar to what you explained with those houses.
edit on 7 26 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I'm not sure that is so much "emoution" going on with the gelding, but more like an S&M like relationship. When the master dies, what does the slave do? when can he eat if master hasn't eaten first? Where can he go if not lead by master?
Probably right. From the gelding's point-of-view, what's the difference? Love? Control? We shouldn't anthropomorphize the actions of other species, and nobody is more guilty of that than myself.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am glad she took care of her anger issue and made sure that no other baby would ever get electricuted by that transformer again.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I have two paintings, one of sunflowers, the other a Japanese style landscape. Both painted by a baby elephant in Thailand. I still see her thoughtful expression as she held the paintbrush poised in the air, deciding which brush stroke should be next. Incredible.

If you want to see how intelligent elephants are, check out videos of elephant training camps in Thailand.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Drakon

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Those pictures you have must be amazing

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Drakon

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Those pictures you have must be amazing

If you ever get to Northern Thailand - Chiengmai - There is a large elephant camp with a `Mahout for a Day' program. (Can't remember the name but it's well known). They teach you how to command and ride an elephant. An elephant also paints a picture for you.

new topics

top topics

join