It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most under and overrated tourist destinations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I heard a radio broadcast today talking about a vacation destination that I had been too and it gave me an idea.
Where should or shouldn't people go for vacation?

I've made a short list.

Overrated..

Disney....crowded and expensive.

Yellowstone...ditto, and always road construction.
Ole faithful is kinda meh..

New York city...crowded and smells like a urinal.

I'm not saying dont go to these places at all just that they are overrated. Dont get you're Hope's to high.

Underrated...
Washington DC.. lots of things to see and loads of it is free admission.
The MLK memorial is awesome and so are most of the older monuments.
Learn the metro system, it's your friend.

Bryce canyon in southern utah.
Amazing view and easy to access.

Nasa in Florida.
If you have any interest in space flight it's a must see.

Anyone want to add to the list?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Let us please add every large city (LA, San Francisco) in California due to poor conditions, overcrowding and disease.
It might be a good idea to stay out of Portland unless you want to attend an "Antifa ally".

You may want to add Grand Canyon to the under rated list, along with NASA in Houston - and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC!

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I heard a radio broadcast today talking about a vacation destination that I had been too and it gave me an idea.
Where should or shouldn't people go for vacation?

I've made a short list.

Overrated..

Disney....crowded and expensive.

Yellowstone...ditto, and always road construction.
Ole faithful is kinda meh..

New York city...crowded and smells like a urinal.

I'm not saying dont go to these places at all just that they are overrated. Dont get you're Hope's to high.

Underrated...
The MLK memorial is awesome and so are most of the older monuments.
Learn the metro system, it's your friend.

Bryce canyon in southern utah.
Amazing view and easy to access.

Nasa in Florida.
If you have any interest in space flight it's a must see.

Anyone want to add to the list?

I guess it depends on what you like.

NYC is awesome. Stay away from Time Square / Midtown. We always stay on Lower East Side. Tons of stuff to do., much of it free or low cost. Relatively cheap. Don't need a car. Before we had kids, wife and I would go to NYC for weekend getaways all the time. Last time were were there without kids we hit up the Sex Museum, Brooklyn Transit museum, Historical Society Museum, Central Park. Head up to Harlem. Brooklyn. So much to do.

Disney is over rated and expensive. however, if you have kids, it is more about seeing them happy.

Last real vacation we took though was to Carmel Valley / Big Sur. Drove from San Francisco. Took PCH in a convertible sport car. The views / weather were unbelievable. San Fran was a sh*t hole. Really over rated as a city imho. Homeless and drug addicts everywhere. Hilly. Hard to get around. Just wasn't impressed. Good food though.

Bend, Oregon was gorgeous. Really enjoyed our trip there. Interesting parks and sight seeing.

Lisbon, Portugal was beautiful. Epic dining. Great sight seeing. Really enjoyed my time there.
edit on 25-7-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
IMHO any big city is something to avoid.
For underrated, I'm not going to divulge my favs...it ruins any locale when the multitudes discover it and over run the place. Happened to Anna Maria Island, one of goTo spots in past years.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Charleston, South Carolina is beautiful. Really underrated. Had a great time there. A lot of things to do and see.

We went on a ghost tour which was fun. They also had a very interesting slavery museum. Some of the mansion tours were phenomenal as well. Dining was great too.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Over rated... Aruba.

Went for my honeymoon. The beaches were phenomenal but the island itself is pretty 'meh. It is basically a desert with no trees. Really nothing to see or do away from the beaches. Some good dining in the downtown but it was kind of dumpy.

I

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

When I said New York I mean the usual tourist destinations.
Those are overrated

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Stonehenge sucks. Go see Salisbury cathedral instead.

Italy....the whole just country rocks it. Even Rome...just hold onto your wallet....tightly.

Destin Florida...after the snowbirds leave. Best beach in the US.

NEW ORLEANS...stay in the safe part.....best city in the whole US.OF A.

Dubai is a dump. Its fake and you dont see the slave labor camps just outside of town in the container city.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Someone on Reddit recently stated that DC is best to visit in the fall as it's one of the slower tourist seasons, nice weather, and things are cheaper since it has slowed down.

I'm thinking about going up there (about five hours from me) this fall.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Savannah, GA is a nice place to visit. Very similar to Charleston, albeit smaller. Regardless, great walking tours of the old mansions. They also had this neat cemetery to visit as well. Good food.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I've heard Paris is a craphole.
No personal experience though.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Underated: Anywhere in the Alps. It's gorgeous, the people are friendly and the beer and food is great. Hiking from village to village and having breakfast above the clouds can't be beat.

Don't knock it till you try it.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
D.C. is a really cool place to check out. You could easily spend 3-4 days between the Smithsonian museums and the monuments.

I love the entire scene of downtown Chicago. Millennium Park, the Navy Pier, and Wriggleyville are all a great time.

San Diego, another great city.

There's a special place in my heart for Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel.

Overrated:
Jamaica - It's okay to do once, but it's probably better as a cruise ship stop than a full on vacation.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: lakenheath24

I've heard Paris is a craphole.
No personal experience though.

There are crappy parts of any major metropolis. That said Paris is my favorite big city in the world I have visited.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have to agree with the NASA thing. I was in Florida in the early 80s at some point. Did the whole Florida experience. Went to Disney and all that. The only thing I really remember liking was the space stuff. I hardly remember anything about being at Disney. OK. The beach was nice. But I didn't have to pay for it.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I only took the boatride...just a brief visit. Its not my cup o tea. Now rural France...I LOVE rural France. Our place is near Angoleme....the Charante is the best place. Surrounded by grape and sunflower fields.
Here is the thing about traveling....
hit the small towns
Big cities and tourist traps suck
Learn hello, please and thank you in the country you are in
Leave the football gear at home....dress nice
And order local food dammit!!!

I wanna pimp slap americans and brits going to mcdonalds in France and Italy. Jeezus

I wanna add Malta to the list of favs too. Pubs everywhere...and take the ferry to Goya.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

I only took the boatride...just a brief visit. Its not my cup o tea. Now rural France...I LOVE rural France. Our place is near Angoleme....the Charante is the best place. Surrounded by grape and sunflower fields.
Here is the thing about traveling....
hit the small towns
Big cities and tourist traps suck
Learn hello, please and thank you in the country you are in
Leave the football gear at home....dress nice
And order local food dammit!!!

I wanna pimp slap americans and brits going to mcdonalds in France and Italy. Jeezus

I wanna add Malta to the list of favs too. Pubs everywhere...and take the ferry to Goya.

I want to pimp slap anyone who goes to a chain restaurant ANYWHERE while on visiting another city!

I remember I went to Maui Hawaii for vacation. Asked the Maitre D for a restaurant recommendation and this dumb mofo told me to go to Ruth's Chris! WTF? Ruth's Chris? Are you freaking serious? I flew 3000 miles to visit this island and you tell me to visit some chain restaurant found in every freaking city?

I want to know what dives and places the locals go eat at when they get off work. What is your favorite hole in the wall?

Wife and I always laugh about that in NYC too. People visit one of the top cities in the world and these dumb asses line up to wait an hour to go Red Freaking Lobster in Time Square! I'd rather get a dirty hotdog from a stand on a corner than eat at a chain like that in NYC....

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Dude....seriously.....it makes me want to shake people! Find out where the server staff go and ya wont go wrong.

We go to this place in rural France near Barbezieux and there is no menu. You basically eat what they make. Its 5 courses and all the wine you can suck down. Only open on a Sunday. Totally epic food.

As far as seafood goes....look for a Bobs Country Bunker lookin place and BAM....!

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Detroit is my favorite destination get-away. Its exciting and you never know what your're going to get there. A fun time and on the cheap; you can get a Greyhound Bus ticket for pretty cheap and stay at a Downtown Metro hotel; there's tours of the abandoned neighborhoods and buildings.

Cool beans!

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Detroit?
A better suggestion would Munising MI. Beautiful area.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join