It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Michigan won't wear a hijab lost her crown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

When I first read this story a few days ago, I was under the impression that the organizers of this event wanted her to put on the hijab for a publicity photo, and that's why she didn't want to wear it. Then a little while later after she was getting attacked over it, the story of the publicity photo disappeared, and got replaced with cries of racism.

If the first story I read is correct, then she was clearly in the right to refuse it. If on the other hand she had gone on and just started making statements about it, then yes you would be correct in that had violated a T&C of the position (so to speak)

The question is which version of the story is correct? The one where she was being told to put on the hijab for a publicity photo op, or the one that got pushed by the media about just making blatant statements that are her opinions?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Well, she's an outspoken Trump supporter , you know how the media can't tolerate that.

She should have told them to try on her MAGA hat first.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

From her own tweet:

"There is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus. So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?"

In and of itself nothing wrong with her opinion but if the Miss World America sees this as not being of good character or likely to bring into disrepute Miss World America or any person associated with the organization than it's entirely her own fault.

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

When I first read this story a few days ago, I was under the impression that the organizers of this event wanted her to put on the hijab for a publicity photo, and that's why she didn't want to wear it. Then a little while later after she was getting attacked over it, the story of the publicity photo disappeared, and got replaced with cries of racism.

If the first story I read is correct, then she was clearly in the right to refuse it. If on the other hand she had gone on and just started making statements about it, then yes you would be correct in that had violated a T&C of the position (so to speak)

The question is which version of the story is correct? The one where she was being told to put on the hijab for a publicity photo op, or the one that got pushed by the media about just making blatant statements that are her opinions?

www.churchmilitant.com...

You didn't take the time to even ask questions or try to understand what the Hijab is. That's ignorant of you." Later the same person urged people to contact the university's Office of Student Conduct: "Let's get this girl expelled."

Zhu said she tweeted about the hijab incident after a Muslim woman at the booth "forcibly" tried to put one on her head.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Uhhhh...it would seem more that Trump supporters are turning every non-event into a Trump issue.

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What part of any of that is crazy? Blacks do kill more blacks, just like whites kill more whites.

It’s also a religious garment that’s a fact. A hijab booth is not the same as a hummus booth. Text tweets also have tones? You sure that isn’t your own internal tone ringing through?

So hijabs are supposed to keep girls modest I assume because in some people’s eyes men aren’t able to control their desires so the female form should be covered. If a man acts on his desires because he was attracted to her form that’s her fault for exposing her body. This mindset to me is the crazy one.

a reply to: Lucidparadox

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

As JAGStorm under your post has shown it's not as clear as to what happened. If she was told to put one on and a fit was thrown that she didn't, then her posting about it would make sense, but as I stated if she was just spouting off, then no I would think the beauty pageant people not liking that. Though, now I'm wondering why we're bot being told what happened, nor why the story is being muddied up to prevent people form seeing what happened?

Anyone know anything on the person that replaced Zhu?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Churchmilitant....seen a lot of sources but hadn't seen this one.

Anyway, "The Muslim Student Association claimed no one was forced or pressured to approach their booth on campus. "The purpose of this booth was to spread awareness of the hijab and those who choose to wear it," 

Non-event

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

It's not crazy to show statistics. What's crazy is saying that it sucks to have a lower IQ.
edit on 24-7-2019 by TrumpTribbleAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
the first tweet cant be racist, no matter how much some perpetually angsty people might want it to be, since islam is not a race.

the second one while not the smartest thing to say out loud (especially the fix your own first)I have seen black on black crimes and the death of the family unit in that community and its negative effects on the children discussed on a college campus backed up by sources.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Did you actually read her tweets?

That girl is nuts.

She deserves to have her title stripped. I love how she is acting like what she said meant something else after the fact.

This was her tweet on the hijab situation:

"There is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus. So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?"

She took a "try on a hijab" booth on her college campus as an attempt to "get women used to being opressed under Islam"

The "try on a hijab" booth was there for a cultural outreach program. There were other booths with other cultures. It's the same as there being a German booth with them.saying "try our weinerscnitzel" Islam in itself isn't bad, Sharia law is bad. The fact that she isn't wise enough to differentiate the two.should be cause for removal of her title in itself...

Her other tweet was even more crazy

"Did you know that the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks?" the second tweet said. "Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others."

Once again.. psycho. She's claiming "oh I was just tweeting statistics"when clearly.by the tone of that tweet you can see what she was getting at.

Girl has issues and is not a role model.

I'm still trying to figure out which part makes her a nut.

Imagine it there was a "try a cross on" or "try a Kippah on" booth..

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Did you actually read her tweets?

That girl is nuts.

She deserves to have her title stripped. I love how she is acting like what she said meant something else after the fact.

This was her tweet on the hijab situation:

She took a "try on a hijab" booth on her college campus as an attempt to "get women used to being opressed under Islam"

The "try on a hijab" booth was there for a cultural outreach program. There were other booths with other cultures. It's the same as there being a German booth with them.saying "try our weinerscnitzel" Islam in itself isn't bad, Sharia law is bad. The fact that she isn't wise enough to differentiate the two.should be cause for removal of her title in itself...

Her other tweet was even more crazy

"Did you know that the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks?" the second tweet said. "Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others."

Once again.. psycho. She's claiming "oh I was just tweeting statistics"when clearly.by the tone of that tweet you can see what she was getting at.

Girl has issues and is not a role model.

There is NOTHING wrong with her tweets.

There is no separation between Islam and sharia and libtards like you are too stupid to see it.

You just can't handle the Truth.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

She's a fine American, and brave to boot. Fantastic woman.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Try it on? Isn't that cultural appropriation?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

So you are assuming no woman would want to wear a hijab and all who do are actually oppressed and dare not speak of it....pffffffwhaha....educate yourself please.

It's a symbol for you (and that ex miss America) that you somehow feel the need to fight because....well I have no idea actually.

Could you elaborate on that?

Peace

ETA:

We are talking about that bottom right piece of clothing right?

We know which article of clothing it is. It's the one that women in Iran are going to jail for refusing to wear it.

The article of clothing that women in Iran are refusing to wear as a form of protest.

We know what it is and what it symbolizes. Do you?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Churchmilitant....seen a lot of sources but hadn't seen this one.

Anyway, "The Muslim Student Association claimed no one was forced or pressured to approach their booth on campus. "The purpose of this booth was to spread awareness of the hijab and those who choose to wear it," 

Non-event

Peace

Those who choose to wear it lol.

This is absolutely laughable in every way as women are being oppressed and brutalized all over the world under Islamic law.

You sir are a clown and a deflector with not one iota of integrity. But sure keep on defending the most oppressive and woman hating ideology on the planet.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yea i guess you gotta keep your mouth shut about religion and politics if you're in that superficial competition thing.

All religions could be easy to find nasty stuff about them.

Try a cross? So i could worship a book that says it's okay to call women a witch and stone them to death?
Try a yahmaca? So i could call non-jews goya's and say that they are subservient inferior souls?

Religion sucks.. some nations grow out of it. Some don't..

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm as liberal as they come...

But there are 2 left wing stances that I don't agree with..

1. The whole cultural appropriation thing. I have a hard time distinguishing sometimes the difference between appropriation and appreciation.

2. Gun control. I'm a pro gum liberal. I'm all for there being more background checks, licenses etc. Even for each gun having a title and registration. However I'm against eliminating weapons. It's a right.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

So "being of good character" means she has to try on a hijab and pretend to like it?

I'm sorry, but no. That would be like saying in order to be of good character one must live like the Amish or dress like them for a few days.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnS23

Those who choose to wear it lol.

This is absolutely laughable in every way as women are being oppressed and brutalized all over the world under Islamic law.

You sir are a clown and a deflector with not one iota of integrity. But sure keep on defending the most oppressive and woman hating ideology on the planet.

You see, the thing is there are a small group of individuals who have twisted Islam to cause fear and division between people. Muslims as a whole are now being judged by the actions of a few people. There’s no denying that there are negative connotations of the hijab but for most women who wear a headscarf it's a personal choice.

I'm on the fence about allowing them in schools and public figures because I should not have to be confronted by anybodies choice of religion but to state that the headscarf in itself is a symbol of oppression and should thus be banned is pretty ignorant.

Banning the oppression of women, I'm all for it. Banning a piece of clothing which should be a personal choice, ridiculous.

Peace
edit on 25-7-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join