It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amount of people on food assistance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

SNAP provides free food to some 40 million Americans, or about 12% of the total U.S. population.

Something is really wrong if over 10% of our population needs food assistance! This is crazy!
I've said it for a long time. A government that gives is a government that can take away. Many people don't see it.
They only see it as "free". Pretty soon they depend on that "free", and can't do without it. That is exactly what people in power want.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is in denial.
I heard in Milwaukee over 80% are on food assistance....... let that sink in. Just imagine if that is ever pulled away...

There was a time when parents would rather work 3 jobs then take assistance to feed their kids. I was talking to a friend about it.
She mentioned a friend that worked 5 jobs. Back in the day we just did whatever it took. Now people barely want to work one job.

(in case anyone was wondering, there are currently 22 Thousand jobs within a 25 mile radius of Milwaukee. We also have public transportation.)

edit on 23-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This isn't even the real problem. Soda being the #1 item purchased along with other junk foods is the problem. Only allow a marginal amount of items to be purchased; eggs, meat, bread, vegetables. The number of people using it would fall off a cliff.

I would even give people the option of those items or, they can get military MRE's delivered to them. The program we have now is a scam by and large. Weak rules, no enforcement and it props up junk food makers and beverages and leads to obesity.

edit on 23-7-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

There was a point in time my ex girlfriend and I really needed food assistance but she didn't qualify..

It was probably.. 6-7 years ago. She was making $10 an hour and she had a daughter. They told her she was making too much money to qualify.

It was super hard back then.

$10/hr is $1600 a month... -400 in taxes that's $1200.. $1200 for rent, insurance, electricity, heat, gas for car, phone, and internet.

It's not possible.

People complain about raising minimum wage.. she was making over minimum wage (which was $7.50 at the time) and still had nothing.

Still didn't qualify for assistance even though she had a child.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Really?

All I drink is pop. Water is gross and flavorless and juice is more expensive than pop. Pop is caffeinated so it can take the place.of coffee in the morning. It also tastes good.

99 cent 2-litres aren't breaking the food stamps bank.

The people who abuse the system are people who sell their food stamps for drugs and cash advances.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
He know a couple on disability both of them. They gamed the system and live quite well. They get food every month and last month it was 20 lbs of pistachios along with the other stuff. They give most of it away and only get it to make the system think they are poor.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

All I drink is pop.

Pop is one of the worst things you can consume. The fact that it's the only thing you consume is actually quite worrisome, and I don't even know you.

Water is not only not gross, but essential to your well-being.

Heed my advice or continue down the path of self-destruction at your own peril, because if it hasn't caught up to you yet, you better believe it will. And when it does, it'll probably be too late to do anything about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Nothing wrong with liking soda or any other food item. These are however not necessary for nutrition. Taxpayers should not be paying for it along with a lot of other things. There is no reason why soda should be the #1 purchased item. It's wrong, especially when Michelle Obama was on the warpath getting soda machines out of schools and improving school lunch nutrition. She didn't say a word about it though. The junk food lobbyists would start pulling donations so she kept her mouth shut.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The people who abuse the system are people who sell their food stamps for drugs and cash advances.

In my opinion many people are abusing the system, not just people that sell it.

If you are an able adult and could be doing more and aren't, you are abusing the system.
If you are doing things so you can stay on the system, you are abusing it.
If you continue to have kids while you are on the system you are abusing it.

Mind you, I understand. If you make 9 dollars and get assistance, but if you make 10 dollars and don't. At your income, it makes sense for to take the 9 dollar job. This is the wrong way of thinking and will hurt most people in the long run.

I'd rather make 10 dollars, and scrimp and eat poorly, and move up the ladder without the help of the government.
without the help of the government. Without the help of the government. Say it again, without the help of the government.

The government would like everyone to think they need help... That is going to hurt a lot of people real soon..

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I've yet to see someone on EBT who should be allowed to use it.
Half the time they're buying smokes with cash and overpriced premade food with their EBT card.

Anyone I've known personally to have one spent their cash on weed and their EBT on other things they don't need.

Last person I knew to have one was just living on it, choosing not to work because they could get away with it.

The whole system needs to be scrapped and rebuilt.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There are some jobs that either pay per job or are 2-4 hours per shift and depending where they are, after commute, you are making MUCH less than minimum wage. I had jobs that paid $50 per job and was told it would be 15 mins, but I had to complete the job to "satisfaction" and then send back the bad part. I was told it was 20 miles away and I was in the car on my cell so I couldn't really check out where it was. Well it took over an hour to get there b/c of construction and almost the same getting back b/c it was rush hour & I went 10 miles out of the way.

The job took almost 2 hours b/c I was the 3rd tech on site and had NO documentation what had been done and it was just a mess, took 30 mins to dig the unit out from behind a 300lb cabinet with equipment all over it that couldn't be powered down. Then the shipping had to be dropped off at a specific location, not just a standard UPS drop off, which added another hour and ~40 miles the next day. Total time was over 8 hours spent on that and that didn't cover gas and wear and tear. I had expected about 1 hour round trip including work, maybe 90 mins total. I also messed my back up moving the cabinet b/c the client wouldn't help even though it wasn't really my job, but had I turned it down, I would have not gotten anything.

After so many calls like this, even if they tripled the price it isn't worth it, and there's no way they'd offer that $ b/c there are so many graduates who are starved for jobs, and the jobs the graduates should have gotten have some indian/pakistani working on some visa at basically slave rates.

I see job postings with requirements which would have paid over $100K + benefits 15 years ago, offering $13-14 and hour w/ no benefits and now the competency in those jobs is terrible which is why we see so many data breaches. Who cares about IT, it generates no revenue and the company doesn't care about customer data, they already have it and their $$

So what are people supposed to do when some jobs almost COST you money to take? Not to mention the jobs that are "at will" employers and let go anyone near 90 days so they never get benefits. They overwork you the first 90 days, suck you dry and move on to the next busy eyed college grad or mid 30's something entering a new career with a new $50K college/tech school load debt.

Should they not go on food assistance?

how about we CANCEL all work visa's and END all immigration for 5-10 years.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Really?

All I drink is pop. Water is gross and flavorless and juice is more expensive than pop. Pop is caffeinated so it can take the place.of coffee in the morning. It also tastes good.

99 cent 2-litres aren't breaking the food stamps bank.

Considering many on food assistance also have medicaid means pop can break the bank.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I don't know where you live, but that is not the case here. You can EASILY, and I mean EASILY get a job paying
15-25.

I know this because my adult kids have gotten them with ZERO experience.

If a job is costing you more than it pays, you are in the wrong job. I've literally never had that happen in my life, and I've had a lot of jobs.
My son has worked two jobs with the 90 day "probation" period, he breezed through both and then got full benefits for both.

I know a lot of people want to believe that immigrants are taking our jobs, but I don't buy it. Sure they are taking some. I gave that example, Milwaukee has 22K jobs! They are hiring everywhere. They are even offering jobs to teachers that off during the summer. They simply don't have bodies to fill the positions.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The realist in you is starting to show. Quit being practical and quit thinking about things properly.

edit on 23-7-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

The realist in you is starting to show. Quit being practical and thinking about things properly.

I feel sad for my fellow Americans. They don't even realize what is happening to them.
It is so sad, so many people have lost their fight. They don't see the forest for the trees. (or whatever that saying is)
I was brought up being taught free is Never free, and usually comes with a much more expensive cost.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Many SNAP recipients are senior citizens.
I offer a car service for a retirement village near me where I take people to the grocery store or to the bank or doctors or social services. Unfortunately those benefits have been going down for a lot of those people.
I hear it all the time. and social security is not going up or keeping pace with cost of living.
These people are not beggers or ner' do wells. They worked hard their whole lives and now they cant feed themselves without help because housing costs and other living costs are so high. Many people of that generation only had one income. Many women did not work and do not get their own social security payments. Two people have to live off of a small amount each month.

At least my generation will see more older couples who both collect their own social security.
edit on 7232019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Many SNAP recipients are senior citizens.
I offer a car service for a retirement village near me where I take people to the grocery store or to the bank or doctors or social services. Unfortunately those benefits have been going down for a lot of those people.
I hear it all the time. and social security is not going up or keeping pace with cost of living.
These people are not beggers or ner' do wells. They worked hard their whole lives and now they cant feed themselves without help because housing costs and other living costs are so high.
Its not right.

80% of people in Milwaukee are NOT seniors.
I also don't begrudge people that TRULY need food/assistance help. We should help them and have a responsibility to help them.

I also know a lot of elderly people. Many of them planned ZERO for retirement. Who's fault is that? To me that is an abuse of the system.
They had money for booze, cigarettes and many other vices/luxuries, but not a small fraction for retirement?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Please...
Soda? Thats like the cheapest thing in the grocery store.
and families with young children get WIC which is only to purchase milk or peanut butter or veggies. Nutritious foods, not junk.
Sounds like my dad who used to swear the welfare recipients were driving cadillacs. He didnt have a clue either.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Lets see, if we give people food then they'll stay home and eat and not go out and pick themselves up by their bootstraps.

So really, when you think about it, feeding people is actually really just starving them.

You don't want to starve people do you? Then get rid of food assistance programs.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Please... Soda? Thats like the cheapest thing in the grocery store.

While that's true, it's poison.

Maybe food stamps should be structured like WIC where all you can get is nutritious foods. Children develop habits that many times follow them through life. If we are going to pay for the meals of kids, I'd at least like to know that it is benefiting them.

Health can be very expensive for people on these programs if they are only eating junk food as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I think most people put their money into homes. Then they sold those houses when retirement came.
My parents did. My Aunts and Uncles did the same thing.
Saving for retirement was not a big concern that I remember.
I mean sure people saved for a rainy day but the whole IRA or 401K were unheard of.
And stock investment was for the wealthy not the middle class. Not until the day trading of the nineties.
I also think most people in the pre boomer era were counting on social security.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join