It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to change political laws on guns - specifically suppressors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The laws about suppressors aka "silencers" is an infringement on ALL citizens right to safely shoot their guns and the use of suppressors in crimes is less frequent than people getting killed by direct lightening strikes in the US. Never the less, to own one, you have to jump through hoops, register with the BATFE, get approval by your local sherrif AND the BATFE and pay $200 per device. It also takes a long time for this process and if you are denied, there is a VERY long, drawn out appeals process which can run into 10's of thousands of dollars if you hire an attorney.

Now in other countries where guns are much more heavily regulated (Europe, Great Britain, Aus, NZ and asian countries), suppressors can be purchased the same as a gun cleaning kit, a scope or even a gun lock.

Now I would like to promote a movement where gun owners band together and buy property next door to politicians (the higher ranking the better) where they can legally discharge firearms in their jurisdiction. Where I live I can shoot anything I want 24/7 but 3ft away, discharging a firearm can lead to a citation or jail unless you have a very good reason, like self defense.

So, I'm sure there are MANY politicians that live in townships, or whatever they are called locally, that allow unrestricted discharge of firearms. It might be possible that the politicians neighbor just might be sympathetic to the cause and allow "friends" to come over to shoot at all hours, early morning, late night, etc. It's also possible to make the gun VASTLY louder and more directional if one so desired, to the point that a small 22 would sound like a 308 or 30-06! This would make running through a $15 brick of 22LR rounds extremely fun for the shooter and unimaginably uncomfortable for those on the receiving end of the noise. So you could save 94% (500 rnds for 308 vs 500rnds 22Lr) and get the same ear shattering effect at ~ 50-150ft.

I'd suggest a fund be started where supporters raise money to buy the property next to a politician, and then practice our constitutional rights for as long and as often as humanly possible, even having gun swap parties where friends stop over to try each others guns - but NEVER charging any fees to shoot - this ins't a business now.

Ideally the new home owner would not be eligible for a suppressor, so they couldn't be forced to buy one, which itself would face a major legal battle.

I know there are many politicians that have vacation homes in rural areas and they go there to immerse themselves in the peaceful and tranquilic sounds of nature.

In addition to this, we could even come up with some modified 2-stroke engines that are run to generate "off-grid" power for the neighbors houses. It would be a tactful method of having the effects of legislation reach out and touch those whom think their laws will never impact themselves.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Sounds like something ANTIFA would do! (i.e. try to irritate people into compliance with their ideas).

Though I do agree with you on the subject of suppressors should not be illegal.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Suppressors kill people, and there black n scary! Whispering death and all that! The movies have educated us, they make guns deadlier and make guns silent so you can barely hear a bolt cycle! Most importantly it make all guns, including muskets machine guns and fully automatic!!
Namaste

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Yeah, I guess it does sound like something they would do, but I think it is worth it.

An alternative would be target people of influence, not just politicians. This is already done in other aspects of politics society like using the police to harass people. Not much difference here.

Heck, the property could even be purchased and then leased out or rented out on Air BNB, so the home owner isn't really there to annoy the neighbors and no one specifically can be targeted for harassment. I guess the owner could, but that would be difficult depending on where they live.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Why do you need a suppressor to defend yourself? Ready

Go! One reason

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Go! One reason

Of course not.

However, they are nice to have so you don't bug your neighbors if you live out of town and shoot stuff.

Also I think the requirements vary state to state?

Because you don't have to do anything the OP mentioned to get one in Montana, last I checked.

Of course, that was awhile ago...

Back when we didn't have pesky things like speed limits, open containers laws or seat belt laws.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

A) Damn that logic is reaching... lol

So by your logic should we have a right to ANYTHING we consider safer for us????

It is way safer (for me of course, lol) to drive a tank down the street, so it infringes on my rights to say I can only drive a regular vehicle on the road....

B) how is the legality of silencers in other countries relevant???

It obviously is not... that said I doubt your claim of the being legal in western countries with stricter gun laws, is correct.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Now in other countries where guns are much more heavily regulated (Europe, Great Britain, Aus, NZ and asian countries), suppressors can be purchased the same as a gun cleaning kit, a scope or even a gun lock.

You might wanna recheck that.

Suppressors in Australia are heavily regulated.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

A) Damn that logic is reaching... lol

So by your logic should we have a right to ANYTHING we consider safer for us????

It is way safer (for me of course, lol) to drive a tank down the street, so it infringes on my rights to say I can only drive a regular vehicle on the road....

B) how is the legality of silencers in other countries relevant???

It obviously is not... that said I doubt your claim of the being legal in western countries with stricter gun laws, is correct.

Your foolishness and ignorance is constantly revealed in most every post you make, and you never admit when you are wrong, even that one thread where about 30 people posted pics of those shoes, and you still wouldn't admit to it. look up the word IRRELEVANT buddy.

You can legally drive a tank down the street, as long as it is registered and has proper tracking, as well as APC's and other military vehicles. As for an acting barrel/firing mechanism, I'm not sure that is legal, though it may be in some states.

Any other brilliant comebacks?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

You might wanna recheck that.

Suppressors in Australia are heavily regulated.

They may be now, IDK, but they didn't used to be from what I remember. Maybe that happened the same time the Queen came and took your guns from you, after that false flag shooting in the late 90's IIRC.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

First, Europe is a Continent and no country - and Great Britain is a part of Europe. Europe consists of 48 different countries with very different gun-laws. In the european country I live, supressors can NOT be purchased the same as a cleaning kit, a scope or gunlock. Infact I doubt that there are any European countries where Surpressors are that easy to get.

Long story short - get your facts and geography straight.

edit on 23-7-2019 by Sanitarium79 because: typo

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

If I could give just one piece of advice to anyone wanting to effect law change, it would be this;

Do lots and lots of research. Don't just become an expert in the field, become the expert in the field.

When you've forgotten more about your subject than most people will learn in a lifetime, you're on the right track.

Be prepared to take on experienced professionals in the field, and be prepared to go into that debate with the upmost confidence and sheer bloody-mindedness.

This worked for me, we now have a local cannabis industry.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Most laws against guns and gun accessories exist because some idiot gun grabber saw it in a movie and thought it was a real depiction.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

How about our ears, and those of folks near by? What part of "shall not infringe" is lost on you?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I was wrong about the Betsy Ross shoes...

I still cannot imagine what marketing guru decided to market “the dbetsy Ross” to young males, but that is irrelevant, really..

Nor do I know what the he’ll Kapernick was doing, unless the fame was running out and he needed a PR boost..

PS I am pretty sure I conceded the point on that thread.. I guess might not have replied, but I did see that I was wrong later and meant to.
edit on 23-7-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

They are totally legal here in Michigan

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I'd suggest a fund be started where supporters raise money to buy the property next to a politician, and then practice our constitutional rights for as long and as often as humanly possible, even having gun swap parties where friends stop over to try each others guns - but NEVER charging any fees to shoot - this ins't a business now.

I would suggest having some deep pockets.

Some friends of ours who own a lumber business and gun shop in the middle of nowhere in one of the most pro-gun states, Indiana, has been dealing with several years of legal battle with their county over noise. They were operating on a donation basis as well as being covered by the Indiana Shooting Range Law and being zoned agricultural with no restrictions on shooting ranges.

However the small town of Madison, IN in their county is a liberal haven in the middle of the very "Southern identifying" Southern Indiana. These people spread out into the county to live the idyllic "country life". They don't understand what that comes with. LOL! Every third farm/house has their own range and their buddies over on Friday/Saturday evenings for shooting matches. 4th of July is not a holiday....it's a week long sport. Every hardware store has a gun shop inside it. New Years sounds like you live in the Middle East. We America hard. It's not the way they thought it was going to be.

But back to the subject....the county has been dragging it out for years now trying to wear them down and run them out of money to fight it. Luckily the NRA Defense Fund is now helping them out. The judge originally refused to recuse himself even though his brother was on the planning commission. They are not even allowed to shoot on their own property until it's resolved. Ridiculous. So I would guess you would end up fighting over your right to shoot on your own property before you would have any chance of influencing silencers.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

I would like a suppressor to defend myself - specifically, the 'ears' part of myself

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bingo! suppressors are a form of hearing protection.
They were invented by the same guy who invented the muffler for cars- but trying to use a car without a muffler is a crime, where trying to use a firearm with a muffler is also a crime.

The crime rate for crimes involving suppressors is something like .005%, and MOST of those crimes are related to the extensive, expensive, and slow moving paperwork involved in legally owning one.

I'm on month 9 of waiting for mine, and since I purchased it they've gone and changed the local regulations so I can't even use it for what I bought it for... although it's starting to look like it won't be in my hands in time anyway.

Of course, if it was about safety these laws not only wouldn't make it hard to suppress a firearm, they would make it hard to legally not suppress them. But we all know it's not about safety, or even about crime- it's about stripping our rights one at a time.
When the $200 fine, err, fee, was introduced, it was the equivalent of something like $4000 in 2019 dollars. Nobody had that kind of money to spend on a muffler, so they effectively banned them. Since the price hasn't changed (despite efforts to increase it) for the stupid paperwork, every year more and more people can afford to do this legally.

Any idiot can duct tape an oil filter to the end of their rifle and have an effective suppressor for dirt cheap... but the fine for being caught is essentially a life ruiner.

The NFA should be repealed entirely, IMO. it doesn't do anything to help anybody, it just makes good honest people into criminals for no reason.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Go! One reason

You don't. Suppressors aren't weapons. Unless, of course, you can jam one down someone's throat.

So, why the need to heavily regulate something that has never harmed anyone?

One reason. Go!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join