It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher in Chicago threaten strike even though they are highest paid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.illinoispolicy.org...

CTU members are already the highest-paid teachers in the nation among those in larger school districts with bachelor’s degrees and five years of experience. Chicago Public Schools, or CPS, also pays the second- and third-highest salaries to first-year teachers with bachelor’s and master’s degrees, respectively, among those larger districts.

This is next level BS!
They are some of the highest paid teachers in the nation, yet they will still hold parents and students and the public hostage. It is never enough.
Thank goodness I live in a state that does not allow teachers strikes. I am actually all for the ability to strike, but Illinois teachers have used and abused it one too many times. When I lived there, I remember at my sons school they were striking all the time. I recently looked at that school, and they were still asking for referendums.

When can parents strike?
edit on 22-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We spend more on each student than the rest of the world and we are ranked what 39th? So more money does not equate with a better educations system. Now if your talking indoctrination centers rather than schools then we are getting our moneys worth.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Schools here in Illinois strike every other year. These are educated people that know Illinois politics are corrupt And they want their cut. No matter that schools in my small town get crapped on for the schools in cook county.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The link is a great read.

The push for increased pay also comes as CPS confronts severe financial difficulties. The Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund is $9.5 billion short of fully funding pension obligations. A significant CTU salary bump would only increase those obligations, pushing the retirement system closer to insolvency.

I would like to know if the pension fund is full of IOUs from government spending or promises that cant be kept or a little of both.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Does this include combat pay for certain areas?

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's worth the money, folks. Just pay for your children's education.
edit on 22-7-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
It's worth the money, folks. Just pay for you children's education.

That would be fine if they were truly getting an education and not indoctrination.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

That would be fine if they were truly getting an education and not indoctrination.

No, I meant like private school or homeschool. Public school is trash.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

butt all the common folk cant send their children to private schools like the rich nor can they afford to stay home and educate their children. The only thing left is if the parents truly were involved in the child's education rather than just sending them off to school to be indoctrinated. Not to remissness to much I was fortunate to get and education before all indoctrination began in mid to late 70's.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well with Illinois raising just about every tax possible this year, how do you expect these teachers to live as they are accustomed?

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Well maybe if children stopped thriving to become rich celebrities and looked up to old true heroes like Neil Armstrong for stem fields education wouldn't be wasted. Teachers are at the whim of what is popular in politics and pop culture.

I remember a song by Tool called vicarious, it was about how glued to media and social standards Americans are to a screen and have become almost desensitized.
"Vicariously I, watch the whole world die".

Teachers are vital to a progressing society, I feel like they are limited not the opposite.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Public unions are an abomination, even Samuel Gompers, noted labor union advocate, did not like the idea of public unions. They should be abolished.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

butt all the common folk cant send their children to private schools like the rich nor can they afford to stay home and educate their children. The only thing left is if the parents truly were involved in the child's education rather than just sending them off to school to be indoctrinated. Not to remissness to much I was fortunate to get and education before all indoctrination began in mid to late 70's.

All I'm saying is that I went to a private school K-11 then graduated from public school (they didn't like me in the private school). Grade 5 was leaps and bounds more difficult than grade 12. If you value the education of your children, it's worth it. Eat out less, it's a small price to pay.

ETA: I think the school was around $120 a month.

I'm not rich.
edit on 22-7-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Deleted for nice..
edit on 22-7-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

And I totally F WORDED THIS POST.
edit on 22-7-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.illinoispolicy.org...

CTU members are already the highest-paid teachers in the nation among those in larger school districts with bachelor’s degrees and five years of experience. Chicago Public Schools, or CPS, also pays the second- and third-highest salaries to first-year teachers with bachelor’s and master’s degrees, respectively, among those larger districts.

This is next level BS!
They are some of the highest paid teachers in the nation, yet they will still hold parents and students and the public hostage. It is never enough.
Thank goodness I live in a state that does not allow teachers strikes. I am actually all for the ability to strike, but Illinois teachers have used and abused it one too many times. When I lived there, I remember at my sons school they were striking all the time. I recently looked at that school, and they were still asking for referendums.

When can parents strike?

Meanwhile, IL homeowners are being crushed by property taxes (2nd highest in nation); the vast majority of which pay for teacher retirements.

CPS schools are a joke. There are only a handful of good ones. The rest are glorified hood rat day care centers. Gaining admission to one of the elite public high schools is next to impossible.

More Democrat malfeasance... some how they will figure out a way to blame Trump.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   
They all voted for governor Pritzker.

One of his campaign promises was to raise taxes on several fronts.

He did just that, effective July 1, 2019.

The people who voted for him to keep his promises, now want higher pay to offset the higher cost of living that their desired governor effectuated?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
They all voted for governor Pritzker.

One of his campaign promises was to raise taxes on several fronts.

He did just that, effective July 1, 2019.

The people who voted for him to keep his promises, now want higher pay to offset the higher cost of living that their desired governor effectuated?

It is insanity all on fronts.

top topics

join