It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong on security alert as thousands march in fresh wave of protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Tens of thousands marched in sweltering heat in Hong Kong on Sunday as anti-government protests show no sign of let-up, with anger over an extradition bill morphing into a fresh front against what many see as an erosion of freedoms by Beijing.

Millions have rallied over the past two months in an unprecedented show of force against Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam, triggering the worst social turmoil to rock the former British colony since it returned to Chinese rule 22 years ago.

Hong Kong on security alert as thousands march in fresh wave of protests

I honestly think things are continuing to heat up and will blow up very soon. There will be a serious backlash by the authorities. Even worse, I am of the opinion that the mainland could be worried that these marches in Hong Kong may "inspire" dissatisfied mainlanders in some form or other...

The sudden rebellion against authority in Hong Kong is very serious.

This could get very, very, very serious indeed.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
GOOD.

Hong Kong isn't going to out up with the CCPs BS.

They've been slowly stripped away by the CCP that now it is undeniable that this will explode over. Hong Kong is pissed.

I support the people of Hong Kong and hope they get what they want, tread carefully CCP, the world is watching.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hong Kong was always part of China till the British occupied it to make a trading port to sell opium in China,
We wanted their tea, silk, spices, porcelain etc etc and had nothing to offer except gold and silver in return.
When this got too expensive the East India company decided to turn China into 1 massive opium den.
Led to huge wars and many millions dead or addicted to opium.

Everytime the west gets involved in affairs that aren’t our own it eventually, if not straight away ends up harming the local populace. A quick look back through history will show this is always the case.

How would Americans feel if Russia started sending California weapons and encouraging them to seek independence?

And any of you who think our governments give 2 shytes about the people of Hong Kong are deluded, this is about money and trade and the west needs to back off and butt out
edit on 21/7/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Indeed, I'll go as far as saying Babylon is not the USA as majority of people/scholars believes but is infact Britain specifically England (the queen) and any logical open mind can see that England has infact always been the great whore and still is to this day albeit in greater disguise.

I feel so sorry for the people of Hong Kong who are fighting against these horrendous attempts by the chinese to start taking back what is rightfully theirs as the hongkongese are screwed which ever way it turns out now.

The true great whore Babylon (the british) in my opinion will prove before to long it was the catalysts for igniting ww3 and i wonder if threats against iran for British tanker is step 1 in the final steps to such.

If i was in hong kong i would be leaving by any means possible asap.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Hong Kong was always part of China till the British occupied it to make a trading port to sell opium in China,
We wanted their tea, silk, spices, porcelain etc etc and had nothing to offer except gold and silver in return.
When this got too expensive the East India company decided to turn China into 1 massive opium den.

Everytime the west gets involved in affairs that aren’t our own it eventually, if not straight away ends up harming the local populace. A quick look back through history will show this is always the case.

How would Americans feel if Russia started sending California weapons and encouraging them to seek independence?

And any of you who think our governments give 2 shytes about the people of Hong Kong are deluded, this is about money and trade and the west needs to back off and butt out

A little off topic, but most Americans wish California would hurry up and sink into the ocean already. Their policies and procedures are a serious detriment to our society, and they're producing some of the worst "american" citizens the country has ever seen. If they were somehow radicalized and armed, their rebellion would be a thing of legends- and their crushing defeat would be swift.

As got hong kong- good for them!
it's a real shame the citizens of the US welcomed the patriot act and the subsequent erosion of our freedoms. Perhaps we could learn something from them.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

A little off topic, but most Americans wish California would hurry up and sink into the ocean already. Their policies and procedures are a serious detriment to our society, and they're producing some of the worst "american" citizens the country has ever seen. If they were somehow radicalized and armed, their rebellion would be a thing of legends- and their crushing defeat would be swift.

As got hong kong- good for them!
it's a real shame the citizens of the US welcomed the patriot act and the subsequent erosion of our freedoms. Perhaps we could learn something from them.

Ok California was a bad example but you know what I meant

Smart a$$

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

The West built Hong Kong. The British raised their flag there in 1840s, population 7,000. By the 1860s the population was over 120,000. I would have given the people of HK a chance to vote on their fate, because I agree it should be their choice not the West's.
edit on 21-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

My sister in law lives in Cali, she came here semi-illegally. She is now a legal citizen and has changed her mind on immigration and is completely against illegal immigration and wants to leave Cali but her husband won't do it. They are Asian.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: lordcomac

My sister in law lives in Cali, she came here semi-illegally. She is now a legal citizen and has changed her mind on immigration and is completely against illegal immigration and wants to leave Cali but her husband won't do it. They are Asian.

Talk about hypocrisy huh...

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

No hypocrisy at all. She has a better understanding of the situation. Her fiance was a US citizen, and she saw my wife waiting 8 years for her visa to become current to get to America so she decided to come on a tourist visa and just get married and apply for change of status. The Democrats have made that easier, faster, and cheaper. At the time my sister in law didn't understand what the big deal was because they think all Americans are rich. Now that she is here and she understands the problem of illegal immigration and has first hand experiences with it, she is very concerned and she would do things differently.

The system is designed to reward bad behavior and illegal immigration and it punishes people who do it right.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I would have given the people of HK a chance to vote on their fate, because I agree it should be their choice not the West's.

The Chinese only lent us Hong Kong, there was never any deal to make it permanent. China has every right to that place and anyway what could we do against China these days?

What is a crime is that Britain didn't give some refuge to all of Hong Kong's people. They are obviously British in nature and having met quite a few they are a great people, unlike their Commie neighbours. Britain should have offered them somewhere like the Hebrides off Scotland to settle and create a new Hong Kong a bit like the French did in Algeria when they took away all the pro French people post independence. By just leaving a British people to the Commies is a total stain on our recent history and one which needs putting right.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Not exactly. HK island and Kowloon island were ceded permanently. Then there was an extension of those islands that were leased. Basically what it came down to was China said they were taking HK back, and if it was not peacefully given back to them they would simply invade and take it by force. So Thatcher screwed the people of HK. They should have been given a choice.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Not exactly. HK island and Kowloon island were ceded permanently.

Is that right? Well if so and I'm gonna research this afternoon, then a very big thankyou for getting a understanding................ Wow that throws every view I've ever had towards HK out the window
Thaks for enlightening me Occam

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
France 24 reporting a bit of "egg throwing" kicking off right now www.france24.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Happy to help. The problem is that the original HK was permanently ceded, but it grew into a much larger area. So the majority of what we consider HK today was leased, the original HK was not. China said they would not honor the treaty that ceded HK and Kowloon Islands to Britain, and they wanted all of it. They told Thatcher she could give it all back, or they would simply invade and take it by force.

It was a very nuanced situation, but in the end I think the people of HK got screwed by Thatcher.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Totally stunned to be honest, when I was young all the British media put out was we borrowed Hong Kong and it's time to give it back. Shame for many of the locals who by then and still are as British as us in the motherland. Total crime what our government did leaving them to the evil Commies but hey it's something our leaders are really good it time over since WW2 and leaving its loyal pro British overseas popuation to fend for themselves when they become surplus to requirements. Hope these last attempts at retaining their own system work out for the HK people

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The West built Hong Kong. The British raised their flag there in 1840s, population 7,000. By the 1860s the population was over 120,000. I would have given the people of HK a chance to vote on their fate, because I agree it should be their choice not the West's.

That is a bunch of lies. It was the Chinese who built it. It got bomb back to stone age during WW2 and had to be rebuilt with modern infrastructure by the population of chinese people. All the west did was tried to build churches and convert people to Christianity.
edit on 21-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

No hypocrisy at all. She has a better understanding of the situation. Her fiance was a US citizen, and she saw my wife waiting 8 years for her visa to become current to get to America so she decided to come on a tourist visa and just get married and apply for change of status. The Democrats have made that easier, faster, and cheaper. At the time my sister in law didn't understand what the big deal was because they think all Americans are rich. Now that she is here and she understands the problem of illegal immigration and has first hand experiences with it, she is very concerned and she would do things differently.

The system is designed to reward bad behavior and illegal immigration and it punishes people who do it right.

So break the law a way you kinda agree with makes it ok...

What other immigration situations is illegal immigration ok... Im sure everyone with a social security after they came illegally would do it differently....

But, not to lose face or stars, this instance is ok. Maga

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
That is a bunch of lies.

Oh ok, what was the population of HK in 1840? Tell me please, since I lied.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Now that she is here and she understands the problem of illegal immigration and has first hand experiences with it, she is very concerned and she would do things differently.

What is hard for you to understand in the phrase she would do things differently if she knew then what she knows now?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join