It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Home Update 1903 stuck at 94% ...many hours later completed....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Our laptop said earlier that the old version of Win10 was soon to be unsupported and suggested we update....and we were going to do it tomorrow.
Windows take it upon themselves to do it today.
And the update to version 1903 is not stuck at 94%.
After several hours, and due to the late time, we turned off the laptop....it was running hard...reading and writing files for hours.

Before turning it of, we ran the update troubleshooter, and it fixed some file, but it was still stuck at 94%.

A quick search showed this seems to be a problem for others.

Any ideas on what we should do know?
Please

ETA this laptop is running with an regular disk HD.....
edit on Fri Jul 19 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

UPDATE
It took over 3 hours to go from 94% to finish.
Laptop is not restarted, and the update is completing.....
edit on Sat Jul 20 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jul 20 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

How to fix: May 2019 Feature Update for Windows 10 version 1903 Failed to Install. Important: Before proceeding to the methods below, to troubleshoot the Windows 10 Update v1903 installation issues, perform the following actions and then install the update:

1. Make Sure that you have enough free disk space (at least 32GB) before installing the update. How to Free Up Disk Space with Disk Cleanup.

2. Download and install the latest Servicing stack update for Windows 10 version 1809.

3. Remove all external storage media, such as USB drives and SD cards. Also remove any USB connected devices that you don't need. (e.g. USB Printer, USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card, etc.).

4. Temporarily disable or completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or security program from your system.

5. If you have enabled the Developer Mode on your system, then proceed to disable and uninstall the Windows Developer Mode, until you install the update.

Some tips from this site

Was your version up to 1809, as per number 2?

My laptop is just updating now so i'll be interested to see if i get past 94%...

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Windows 10 is an unusual animal
I am in the Windows Insider group , and I have seen it take 2-4 hours
Patience is a virtue.
As long as there is a good amount of HDD activity (like the drive light on mostly solid) , it is installing as a rule of thumb .
If it does not , let me know
Several tricks up my sleeve

Edit to add - I usually start it up right before bedtime , and go to sleep...
And in no way are my PCs anywhere close to "slow"

edit on 7/19/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)
:
edit on 7/19/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Diaspar

Yes....we were current before this happened.....my husband does the updates every month.
About the only thing was we had the AV and MAlwarebytes running.....but since it started the update without our knowledge...well, kinda hard to disable anything LOL

I also have no clue how to try to start the update a second time.

I miss Win 7 sometimes. It had its faults, but at least I knew how things worked. Win10 changed the way most of us were familiar.

Thanks...and good luck with your update.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Im just gonna turn updates off at a definitive level, screw this fiasco.

what will if fix? More importantly, WHAT WILL IT BREAK?

Nope... nope nope nope.jpg

Anyone here work in IT? Remember when we'd put off putting SP2 on the XP machines, for at least 6 months, so they could work out the bugs in the initial release, so we weren't constantly going back to broken machines and researching the problems, only to find out they'd be patched later?

And here we are with M$ forcing these very same updates... and try their forums..

"Thank you for telling us about your problem 'Windows keeps crashing on KB2938498 and won't let me log in any more.' First let me ask if I have correct problem. You can't load Internet Explorer? - Marked as correct answer."

edit on 19-7-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Mine updated yesterday w/o problems.

Took 4 hours.

A friend of mine says his stuck at 95%.

He stopped it and uninstalled an anti-virus program called avast.

Then it worked (3 1/2 hours).

Windows Updates can be touchy little bastards 😎

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Patience is a virtue.
As long as there is a good amount of HDD activity (like the drive light on mostly solid) , it is installing as a rule of thumb .

I'd say letting it run overnight would be what I'd do.

But if the OP has an old school platter HD that is over 5 years old I'd worry it has too many bad sectors and this might be the cause of a failed update.

Still, I'd leave it on for a day or so and hope it finishes. If the drive is old and has a lot of block errors I'd try to migrate the data(after an update) to a new solid state or platter drive..

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

OK, thanks.....so when we turn it back on tomorrow, it will pick up where it left off?

Yeah, lots of activity, and it changes....he had task manager open to see what was happening.....read and write.....up to 100%....back to zig zagging.....back to 100%.....

I'm telling you, the home edition seems to take much longer to do everything.....or maybe it's that I have a SSD on my desktop.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Patience is a virtue.

I'd say letting it run overnight would be what I'd do.

But if the OP has an old school platter HD that is over 5 years old I'd worry it has too many bad sectors and this might be the cause of a failed update.

Still, I'd leave it on for a day or so and hope it finishes. If the drive is old and has a lot of block errors I'd try to migrate the data(after an update) to a new solid state or platter drive..

Yeah , I edited my post to reflect my AP in the situation

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

It is a regular HD, but only a year old....and doens't have a lot of crap on it yet.
We'll let it run all day tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

OK, thanks.....so when we turn it back on tomorrow, it will pick up where it left off?

Yeah, lots of activity, and it changes....he had task manager open to see what was happening.....read and write.....up to 100%....back to zig zagging.....back to 100%.....

I'm telling you, the home edition seems to take much longer to do everything.....or maybe it's that I have a SSD on my desktop.

Turn it on, let it do it's thing for 24 hours(likely take less, but don't be impatient).

It will likely sort itself out. But, if you have a hard drive over 5 years old I've come to find that that's often the problem(if it's an old school non solid state drive).

Every computer I've "fixed" in the last 10 years have had hard drive problems(sector read/write errors).

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Just as an aside....why did my desktop install 1903 in mere minutes last week?
I do have Win10 professional.....but still????????

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

This is not a regular update, the ones that come out second week of the month.
This is an update to a new version of Win10!!

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

so when we turn it back on tomorrow, it will pick up where it left off?

I am afraid not (there is a very , very small chance)
It will most likely start a revert to the previous version you had , boot to Windows , and you will be faced with starting all over again
Just Sayin

or maybe it's that I have a SSD on my desktop.

And I have NVME M.2s
Still takes a while

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

It is a regular HD, but only a year old....and doens't have a lot of crap on it yet.
We'll let it run all day tomorrow.

A year old shouldn't be a problem, but considering the tech, an actual head touching a platter, it's possible for it to have suffered physical damage. If your boot times are slow and you get occasional read hangs I'd recommend getting and migrating your system to a SSD.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't use a non SSD in any computer due to it's likelyhood of read/write errors.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It's not used hard roughly, and boot times are normal, scans for AV and Malwarebytes run as fast as ever.
I don't think we have a lot of bad sectors on it yet.

edit on Fri Jul 19 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

A year old shouldn't be a problem, but considering the tech, an actual head touching a platte

It is SSD . No heads nor platters

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

SIGH!!!!!!!!

grumble.....grumble......

Well, at lest now we know.....
It will likely fuss and read and write.....after it figures out it needs to start over???
Are you saying it wasn't stuck, just misbehaving the way Windows does?
SMH!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

It's not used hard, and boot times are normal, scans for AV and Malwarebytes run as fast as ever.
I don't think we have a lot of bad sectors on it yet.

SSDs are not mechanical . They are Solid State Drive(s)
They have a lifespan , but it is YEARS

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

A year old shouldn't be a problem, but considering the tech, an actual head touching a platte

It is SSD . No heads nor platters

OP said it's a regular HD.

Guess I missed that, carry on.

Then if SSD, time is the only variable.

Let it run for as long as it needs to and just find another means to satisfy your internet addiction...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join