It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock Half Ass Movie Review - The Fifth Element

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Same for music. After the 90s it took a huge dive. My wife actually listens to new music and it's hilarious how she will hear a song and say oh this must be the new soandso song. Turns out it's a completely different girl singing altogether and they just all sound the same.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I loved that movie, and watch it every time I see it on!

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Fifth Element is a campy fave. I'd watch it more but Chris Tucker annoys hubby in this one.

It's sort of like FarScape in certain ways. Both were outlandish good.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The Chris Tucker character has actually grown on me ( a lot). I couldn't figure out what his role was at first, but after I understood it...he's great! I actually look forward to seeing him in the show. I thought he did a great job!

I actually wish there was more of his character!

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I like him too. With my husband, it's more a voice thing than anything.

Husband really likes him in Rush Hour.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Heh, the voice is the best part too. That's what makes his character. It's just another example of how truly well done the whole movie was. The whole Fhloston thing was designed to be a parody of the future, even the name "Fhloston" was a clever play on words conjuring up a mental image of "flotsam" which Fhloston was...floating debris from a sunken culture.

There's a million things like that in the movie. A person can watch it 50 times and still not see all of them. I think I see something new every time I watch this movie. Some subtle little hidden 'easter egg' of discovery in different scenes. There are countless little irreverent backhands to modern culture and society. It's very overt in the Leeloo character, but much more covert and veiled sarcasm in other characters and scenes. Again, it is what makes the movie such a great flick.

It's like The Fifth Element is a very shrewd distillation and then projection of modern society out into the future. There are themes of religion, technological poverty, bureaucratic paralysis, hopelessness and despair, all cleverly wrapped up in an almost comedic package. In some ways The Fifth Element captures it even better than Blade Runner did...and that's saying something!

Great flick!

edit on 7/21/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I'm also a big fan of Luc's later action works(Professional, Transporter, etc). But this film, being one of his earlier ones, is one of his absolute best.

Sorry to be pedantic

but Leon, The Professional was made about 3 or 4 year earlier than the 5th element.

Anyway loved the 5th element, so many things about the movie are just entertaining and was really looking forward to seeing Valerian.

although I have yet to watch Luc Besson's other space sc-ifi movie Valerian, I have copy on a hard drive but for some reason can never be ####ed to watch it, not sure if its because it received bad reviews or what.

A great director and story teller in my opinion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join