It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potatoes, Prozac, sugar, & flour & rice---Oh My?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
One of the really odd things, is some folks will look at you funny or view you as strange if you try to eat right? It's like the vision of what is good is twisted, so garbage stuffed junk is the "cool" thing. People in my own family will fight me if I bring up diet soda as being bad, like diet soda is their best friend in life or something.

Troy

I don't know how many times I've been called a "dork" or "loser" for avoiding processed foods. People even get annoyed and upset when I try to tell them that what they're eating will lead to chronic disease, telling me to shut up and "I don't care".

I seriously think that people are so conditioned by the media, etc, that in order to be cool, you need to damage your body with alcohol, drugs and crap. Mainstream media and entertainment have effectively created a generation heading for hell.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I know where you are coming from individualist.

Troy

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
the_individualist: I find your first comment to be sad, and a bad sign of the future if these are young persons calling you names like "dork" (I am assuming so).

Rest assured that at least in my area and among the persons I associate with, it is considered "trendy" and "cool" to lead a healthy lifestyle. A typical day for my girlfriend and I includes a trip to the gym, the local farmer's market, the organic supermarket, and finally we take a walk before bed. And in the process of doing these things, we always see many of our friends. I guess leading a lifestyle where I've been labeled a "health nut" many times, and associating mainly with like-minded individuals, makes me blind to what other kinds of people are out there.

Thanks for opening my eyes again. I need a good kick in the senses every once in a while.

But still it's horrible if people are making comments like they say to you...

Thanks individualist.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Hi All,

I have this problem as well, when my son was 2 1/2 and he asked for water his grandparents called me cruel for not putting juice in it, despite our best efforts he is now 4 and he would choose juice over water, I suppose thats normal but at least he will drink water unlike many of his peers.

I find that most of my family don't know what I mean when I say we do our best not to eat processed food, it's like 'well what do you eat', and I get comments like 'well it's okay if you have the time to prepare food every day but I certainly don't'.

My mum is "vegetarian" and a nurse but truely doesn't know about food, she knows we don't eat processed meat and only buy from a local supplier, but will buy us frozen pizza's with pepperoni/ ham from the supermarket and say "you see I brought a good brand because I know you like that"

God help the world!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanWerewolf
well...if i eat something kinda sugary, say like a bowl of frosted flakes before i go to bed i sleep pretty good. if i dont eat something sugary before bed i wake up and i have low bloodsugar and im grumpy

Sounds like you've got the 'blood sugar roller coaster' going on. That's when the introduction of refined sugar to your system causes a spike in blood sugar, causing an overproduction of insulin by the body which in turn causes a trough in blood sugar levels. This causes a craving for sweets, and starts the cycle anew. This is the first stage of hypoglycemia, which is in turn the first stage of diabetes for many. I was pretty severely HG about 10 yrs. ago, and solved it simply by eliminating refined sugar from my diet. I can use a little sugar from time to time, or have the occasional soda, but really I don't even miss it. Try just a week without sugar and see if doesn't level you out.

BTW, have any of you heard that the real threat in white bread is the chemical that is used to bleach the flour, alloxin?. There's plenty of articles on it out there, here's one.

www.campaignfortruth.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ever Seen what old people Eat?

That is the secret of longevity. Not some "newest Food Fad".

Eat your potatoes, And your meat in Moderation. And you will live a long life.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
OK. so I can understand why sugar is bad, if were talking artificialk or white sugar, what about brown?

Potatoes I thought were very very good for you, in fact it has every essential nutrient in it alone to survive... How in hell is it bad?

Flour, how is it bad? is it bleached like white bread? Is all flour bad?

Why rice? Even brown rice is bad?

Please fill me in? You have me extremely paranoid.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The bottom line is this: Everything in moderation. From food to alcohol etc. eat less exersize more. Its really as simple as that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join