It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people live without air conditioning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I find the heat in Chicago unbearable. Even worse than down south. The humidity here in Chicago just really aggravates me now. I know about 20 years ago we had like 10-20 deaths from a heat wave.

10-20, try again!! It was over 700!!!
www.chicagomag.com...

Twenty years ago this week, Chicago was gripped by one of the city's worst natural disasters: a scorching heat wave that claimed more than 700 victims, mostly the poor, elderly and others on society's margins.

I remember on the news they ran out of morgue room and had to put people in refrigerated trucks.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Edumakated

I find the heat in Chicago unbearable. Even worse than down south. The humidity here in Chicago just really aggravates me now. I know about 20 years ago we had like 10-20 deaths from a heat wave.

10-20, try again!! It was over 700!!!
www.chicagomag.com...

Twenty years ago this week, Chicago was gripped by one of the city's worst natural disasters: a scorching heat wave that claimed more than 700 victims, mostly the poor, elderly and others on society's margins.

I remember on the news they ran out of morgue room and had to put people in refrigerated trucks.

Dang! Didn't recall it being that high. Guess memory is getting bad.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I lived in Malaysia for several years (about 3 degrees north of the Equator). "Hot" was the understatement of the century there! The average humidity was about 97%, and the temps even at night were in the mid to upper 90's. Some people said you get used to it. Well, I sure never did, not even close! Lots of people there lived without AC (I wasn't one of them).

I'll never forget one time when there was a "cold front" which came through. The temps got down into the upper 80's (like 89). There were people running around in frigging PARKAS and mittens! (I was still miserable and hot). You couldn't walk 20 feet there without being soaked with sweat. I think I spent two years in a constant state of being wet. You couldn't even dry your clothes, they just stayed perpetually wet.

You learned to deal with it, but for me personally it was never pleasant. When I moved in to the apartment I lived in I set the AC units to the lowest setting (about 18 C as I recall) on the first day. I never shut those AC units off the entire time I lived there, and they never got down below about 24 C (about 75 F) running on "Max Cool".

You can have that S#!! I grew up in Wyoming where it gets downright FROSTY, and that's just the way I like it!

The perfect temperature for me is about 55 degrees.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Was 110 this weekend where calling it a mild summer

We get rank number one for heat related deaths year after year 100+ die and many more not directaly attributed to heat

www.ktnv.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Inconceivable

Then again, there are 4 guys from south of the border who have been living in a small, uninsulated 12x20 garage a couple of doors down from us with no A/C for a few years now, and they seem to be able to handle it well. I guess some people can adjust to the heat better than others.

That's because the Central/SAm temps killed off entire gene lines that couldn't handle heat.

It only left alive people like these four.
edit on 16-7-2019 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I'm pretty much a princess all around. I don't like it too cold, or too hot. I absolutely can't sleep if it is hot, and humid.
If it is just hot, it is ok, but add humidity and i'm done.

USAF JAG?

edit on 16-7-2019 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I grew up in Long Beach Calif about 2 miles from beach,can't remember many friends with a/c,moved to inland area where 120 wasn't unheard of with humidity,during these times power outages were common ,as kids we camped out in desert,just try to find shade,have water nearby,and try not to be too active,I love the feel of 100 degrees and a Santa Ana wind

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Air conditioning messes with my sinuses. I actually like the heat.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My favorite time of the year is fall. I like it in the 60s and low 70s. Low humidity. I prefer to be able to keep windows open with a nice breeze flowing through the house.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Air conditioning? Is that opening the window? Or is it star jumps and squats for the air?

No call for it here in North Yorkshire.......

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
during the winter i avoid wearing winter coats, unless i will be walking outside for extended periods of time. i was born in december, in the snow, in new york. my friends are always amazed at my strength against the cold, BUT i build up that tolerance, as the temps drop, i avoid jackets.

im strong against the cold, but damn do i suck against humidity. vegas is AMAZING. no humidity. even in 110 degree weather, its awesome. just walk to some shade to cool off.

i see a lot of spanish people wearing jackets on days where the temps are in the 70s. you can tell those guys snuck in from central america, and they are strong against the heat.

so you gotta pick your poison lol.

humidity is the only enemy during summer.
wind chill is the culprit during winter.

but once temps drop the 20s, it chilly af, i aint going to lie. my boy lives in wisconson, and the high temps are in the 10s there or lower. if the high temps are in the 20s, it is going to be a rough day.

edc used to be middle of summer, so i went to vegas several times mid summer. you gotta drink a lot no doubt, but it is totally bearable. they moved it to the spring, and DAMN weather there is amazing in the spring.

when i got back to ny, it was only 80 degrees (compared to over 100 in vegas) but it was humid, so way hotter here.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

It is hot here, I have my air set to 71 and it is running non-stop. I live in a pretty cool place, Wisconsin.

That’s basically all of the problem, that you live in a place with extreme temperature fluctuations. In India the weather can get chilly but never cold like Wisconsin. In Delhi it might be 70 in the afternoon in January and 100 in August. Not much fluctuation. I was born & raised in Michigan and later moved to a more southern place where the temps don’t drop so much in the winter, and after a few years I adjusted well. I can comfortably withstand much higher temperatures than my northern friends who come down to visit in the summer.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41

I'm pretty much a princess all around. I don't like it too cold, or too hot. I absolutely can't sleep if it is hot, and humid.
If it is just hot, it is ok, but add humidity and i'm done.

USAF JAG?

No not at all..

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
My favorite time of the year is fall. I like it in the 60s and low 70s. Low humidity. I prefer to be able to keep windows open with a nice breeze flowing through the house.

We have exactly one week of fall here (I'm not joking)

It is the most perfect magical time. I've always said if we had a longer fall Wisconsin would be the most populated place in America.

It is so gorgeous here, it is just that our winters sucks so hard, and our summers are equally bad. Spring and Fall only last about 2-3 weeks.

Chicago is similar but I think you guys have less winter than us and a longer hotter summer. I hated Chicago summers so bad.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You couldn't walk 20 feet there without being soaked with sweat. I think I spent two years in a constant state of being wet. You couldn't even dry your clothes, they just stayed perpetually wet.

Yuck yuck yuck... To me that is the worst, constant sweating.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Summer in the 90's wasn't as hot as it used to be, house used to have a no A/C at all and way less cars on the road. I remember it raining a lot. Have you every been next to a car with A/C on? It makes the car produce heat outside hotter. Now imagine millions of cars with traffic jams. Someone needs to make cars no produce any heat when the A/C is on. Same goes with A/C on at homes with its fan, been next to those fan boxes. While the inside is cool. The outside is producing more heat.
edit on 16-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I know, I know very first world problem.

It is hot here, I have my air set to 71 and it is running non-stop. I live in a pretty cool place, Wisconsin.
I just can't imagine not having air conditioning in the South or other hot climates.
I read a story that in India the temperature was a high of 120F, and that only 6% of people have air conditioning.

My God, I must be spoiled rotten.

Indian system is corrupt and broken. No surprise they failing compare to China. Look at all the outdated old cars in India and you'll know why.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: valiant

England is in for a hard awakening with mold and damp because the climate in the region is returning to Victoria style winters and summers.

Victoria? you mean Victorian?

I always thought Victorian Britain had it chilly, which is why in paintings etc they were always wearing heavy clothes in summer settings etc ... unless all of those paintings were done after Krakatoa erupted.
edit on VpmTuesday05pm731 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: valiant

England is in for a hard awakening with mold and damp because the climate in the region is returning to Victoria style winters and summers.

Victoria? you mean Victorian?

I always thought Victorian Britain had it chilly, which is why in paintings etc they were always wearing heavy clothes in summer settings etc ... unless all of those paintings were done after Krakatoa erupted.

I recall watching a documentary about living during Victorian times. Can you imagine wool clothing in summer! Most people only had 1-2 changes of clothing. ugggg

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The smell of people must have been atrocious! My grandma was a Victorian (only by a decade I think), had 9 kids and my Mam was the last one she had in her late 40s, and I was the last of my Mam, who was also mid 40s.

I remember my Mam telling me that my Grandma said they used to be lucky to be able to bath twice a week, had those tin baths that you would warm in front of a fire and the whole family would share the same water, big families too compared to the average nowadays, I couldn't imagine having to do that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join