It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman shuns society, lives hobbit-esque lifestyle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite
a reply to: KansasGirl

Thanks for being thoughtful and encouraging. I think it helped.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
We were joking recently with our kids about which one of us would go first -- their dad or me. Our kids think if I go first that their dad will turn into a full-on couch potato. But they think I'll go be a hermit somewhere and co-exist with the flora and fauna. They may be right

I contemplate how my girls would be equally out at sea in such an event. If I went, the girls would move on with my wife, a serious and fearsome taskmaster; if my wife went, they'd spend their entire childhoods taking care of me and perhaps seeing firsthand my dismal courting skills.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

95% is a good head start over me. Maybe I'll pick your brain sometime.

I got lots of wilderness survival experience as a boy. I didn't fully appreciate then.

It all started flooding back in recent years and I've learned some new stuff, too. Right now I'm learning to hunt squirrel and rabbit. By next year, I'd like to get back into doing week-long stays in the wilderness.

Maybe I'll never go full-on Mountain Hermit, but time spent in nature, learning to live well within it, is always time well spent.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I contemplate how my girls would be equally out at sea in such an event. If I went, the girls would move on with my wife, a serious and fearsome taskmaster; if my wife went, they'd spend their entire childhoods taking care of me and perhaps seeing firsthand my dismal courting skills.

Funny how we fret about these things, eh? Nothing we can do about it before or after, but it sure doesn't stop us.

I expect your daughters would thrive with either you or your wife... As the taskmaker, I'm sure your wife has already passed on some valuable skills to your girls... which they would be very happy to put to good use for their daddy (and no matter how old they get, you will always be their daddy!). They might even compete to take care of you bestest

As for your "dismal" courting skills... well, as long as you're setting thee example for what your girls should expect -- and demand -- from the men they date (and ultimately marry), you're golden!

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

...from the men they date (and ultimately marry)...

Easy does it

Boys are already crushing over my oldest daughter (who will be a second grader). I think I truly understand what the axiom "out of the frying pan and into the fire" means now.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Boys are already crushing over my oldest daughter (who will be a second grader). I think I truly understand what the axiom "out of the frying pan and into the fire" means now.

Oh my! That's really young... looks like you've got a heartbreaker on your hands. Teach her to be kind and gentle when letting the boys down... and it's definitely not too soon to start setting that example.

This may be your most important job as daddy. Your daughters will no doubt bring home a loser or two before they find their Mr. Right, but it will be through your example that they figure out the losers from the winners. Set that bar high!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: Lumenari

95% is a good head start over me. Maybe I'll pick your brain sometime.

I got lots of wilderness survival experience as a boy. I didn't fully appreciate then.

It all started flooding back in recent years and I've learned some new stuff, too. Right now I'm learning to hunt squirrel and rabbit. By next year, I'd like to get back into doing week-long stays in the wilderness.

Maybe I'll never go full-on Mountain Hermit, but time spent in nature, learning to live well within it, is always time well spent.

Feel free to pick on what's left of it!!!

I've a few hundred acres in Montana, am off-grid with gardens, an orchard and an attitude.

What I would like when I retire is to never have a trashman come around.

Because I wouldn't have any.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join