It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids today and food

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoClue
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How come this kind of humor is even allowed around here! I don't know but it seems to me at paar with pedo jokes, if not worse!

Do you have kids?

Honestly No Clue

Augustus Masonicus and a handful of other members are allowed to post thread comments that are either off-topic or are only just dumb humor, and never get their comments removed or points taken off like the rest of us. The rules don't apply to all. Get used to it. If you ever see him make an actual serious comment to a thread, alert me as I would like to see a miracle.

No doubt this post will be removed.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I keep thinking of the cherry thing. How the hell can't you know what that is? Do they watch TV even?

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

If it's not a cartoon cherry with eyes and mouth they won't recognize...
edit on 14/7/2019 by NoClue because: not sure yet

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

No.

The way I look at it because I've been known to play around too from time to time (Guilty as charged.) is that when the threads get either flat out derailed or the tone is changed by the non-serious commentary, it can sometimes provide a much-needed breath of fresh air.

These days, people are getting nasty partisan.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

They're ignorant of a cherry the same way some kids in some schools were ignorant of what a camel was. There was seriously an argument that some tests were racist because underprivileged kids didn't have the cultural knowledge to know that. I guess this an example of kids without cultural knowledge. Only they're deficient in knowing what food actually is.

Puts a whole new spin on the idea of food desert though. I'll bet these kids had access to full groceries, but still didn't know fresh produce.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I was born in 1986

You could be describing my childhood.

I have been on a journey to healing for my entire adult life. Some of my new ager friends call me a “food empath” (I don’t even understand what a regular empath is) but these days I can almost taste the synthetic garbage in stuff. I can take a bite of something and need to stop eating only to check the box and find the culprits. Red dye #40- I can literally feel it surging through my bloodstream like alcohol but with much more awful effects.

I’ve had quite the ride, and I’ve had to come to terms with the realization that I had never had real food in my entire life; and not for lack of access either. My mom and dad still eat one meal a day, and it’s out. They rave about the fish sandwich from McDonald’s like you’d think they had just had a fresh catch from the gulf cooked in front of them. I try, but it’s hopeless.

I have learned to cook, shop, balance nutrition, and as badly as I want to ban all Oreos and skittles from this house; I don’t, because I don’t want my children to be on the OTHER end of the spectrum of having never had junk, when they’re old enough to be around other kids who do have access. But it is a treat. A treat is a reward, a special event, an indulgence... not breakfast....

It is disheartening to see its becoming more common place these days. But my personal journey has shown me that without the void of knowledge and healthy nutrition in my childhood I would never have ended up so dedicated to the lifestyle I strive for now... and I am in the minority in my circle.

I once went in the grocery store for a head of lettuce when I was about 12... it was a rare occasion where we were bringing items for a gathering and we needed the stuff for salad.... mom had picked up the dressings and bacon bits etc at Walmart and sent me in the local small shop for the lettuce... handed me a couple of dollars and I came out with like 2 cents change, and a CABBAGE.

I hate to say I’ve been that girl, but I hope she makes it out ok like I have. Continue to encourage your kids to encourage her to try things... pickiness runs in families unfortunately and her family might eat that way as well.

a reply to: Nyiah

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Your thread title should be “parents today and food ”
This is not the kids fault, doesn’t even sound like she’s fussy as she hasn’t been exposed to these things to reject them.

Oh definitely something a parent starts, kids don't learn to eat junk in a void. Parents teach that, and the quick-fix food crutch is setting kids up for a lifetime of crumbling health.

Although Ive gotta disagree, the kid's definitely fussy, it's the difference between a 95/5 burger off our grill, and a McDonald's burger kind of fussy. She wants the crud food, and if it's not available, off home she goes to hop in the car to get it.
I highly doubt at any point in her life, her parents have ever made her try more than one nibble of something new. Our household rule is to try something 3 separate times, & full bites, not nibbles. Sometimes it takes a few tries of something new to really figure out if you like it or not, not one itty bitty nibble.

originally posted by: eletheia
I put it down to the dropping of domestic science for girls and woodwork/

metal work for the boys from the education curriculum.

I wouldn't doubt it. Home Ec & Woodshop were going the way of the dodo fast back in the 90's, but they taught self-sufficiency -- how to feed yourself decently, and how to make & fix things yourself. Today, we have people who only know how to serve dinner via a restaurant menu or meal delivery service, and entirely too many people don't know how to build something/fix something themselves. Hell, most people today can't figure out the name of the tool they're holding. THAT pisses off my husband, for both genders to be DIY stupid is unacceptable.

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Chicken nuggets are the scourge of modern society! I am absolutely convinced 2/3rds of the American public below the age of 12 would starve to death if chicken nuggets were taken off the market!!! (and 100% of children below the age of 5).

Chicken nuggets are the epitome, the absolute pinnacle, of.. LAZY PARENTING!

I absolutely agree! Nugget/fingers dinners regularly, especially fast food ones, are LAZY. They're a quick fix meal that comes in handy when you're pressed for time once in a great while, not every day. I personally do think certain brands taste pretty good, but they're awful for you if you make them a cornerstone in your diet. Nothing good comes from that 3 or 4 times a week, come on.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We went to MOD Pizza for lunch the other day, husband and I. Not a single kid who came in while we were there was actually in shape or at least not overweight.

And we're talking KIDS! The little buggers have metabolisms that are working overtime to grow their bodies. You almost have to be trying to get them chubby, even on a crappy diet. And yet, there they came, kid after kid, overweight and out of shape.

Overweight kids actually aren't common in my neighborhood, most of the kids are much more physically active than in other neighborhoods. I think we're a throwback to the era of "go outside and play and don't come home til the streetlights come on." Except you're not going home to mom's fantastic home cooking, you're going home to take-out, hot dogs, TV dinners, etc.

We do a lot of cooking. We constantly tell our kid he doesn't know how lucky he is yet that most of what he gets is made at home. That he always has a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables to go with his meals because most kids don't get that and they don't learn how to appreciate it at a young age. He sometimes looks skeptical, but we tell him the habits about his food he makes now will help shape what he looks like in the future.

Same here. My older kid loves to cook, has a big, big interest in maybe doing it for a living, so she's being taught how to (by hubs, I can't cook worth a damn, he's got sous chef experience) She can make some really great simple meals so far, it's a point of pride for her. The younger one is a slower on the lessons uptake as far as temps & timing goes, but she's really good at pairing things together, and really good as coming up with flavorful herbs & spices combos. They both know & understand that food is a careful balance between health & tasting good, and they know if they don't keep on it, it can make them feel terrible or sick.

But it's awful how bad some kids get fed, and that's where the obesity epidemic starts more than lack of activity, although that contributes.

Yep, bad eating habits can be really evident even if the kids are very active. Had a few friends growing up that were very portly boys and girls, but were very active, too. I couldn't figure out why the girl I knew who ran track trying to edge into the competitions was so heavy, until I spent the night at her house. Cheeseburger pie with crushed chips as a topping is a not a meal, guys. And that was a common dinner for her, yuuuuck. My dad made it once in a GREAT while when he was feeling very bored with his own recipe stash, but nobody liked it other than him, it was terribly greasy. Maybe it was better if you used extremely lean meats, but it was disgusting and I have no incentive today to try for a healthier version.
edit on 7/14/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
No.

The way I look at it because I've been known to play around too from time to time (Guilty as charged.) is that when the threads get either flat out derailed or the tone is changed by the non-serious commentary, it can sometimes provide a much-needed breath of fresh air.

These days, people are getting nasty partisan.

Shhhhh, don't correct my stalker. She'll never admit it but she reads every one of my posts.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Wow. Talk about a real Idiocracy moment! I kinda get it though. I was raised the same way. Food groups to me were WacArnolds and Little Skeezer's. I was super awkward at other peoples' family dinners for the same reason.

Poor kid *sigh*

I wish I could say something positive, but

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of people who try to lose weight by simply going to the gym and never figure out that they have to overhaul their diet too. You can work out almost all you want, but if you constantly suck down a super-sized meal from the drive-thru, you really won't make much headway unless you have a special metabolism which most of us don't.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A lot of the young kids are disconnected from things. Many are raised on junk food as their main source of nutrition. I know many people who think that their kids are healthy if they eat more expensive junk food. My daughter would not eat many of our real foods when she grew up, she wanted macaroni and cheese or Raman. It was what her friends lived off of. She lived off of junk food all through her time in college, then started to want to learn how to cook real foods. The wife gave her recipes for all kinds of great junk food, like lasagna and spaghetti dishes and cakes and stuff. Then when she got into her late twenties, she started asking me how to cook roasts, when the wife cooked things she used all these spices that made things spicy and yucky, lots of MSG ingredients added to the foods. My daughter is now eating much more natural foods, but when she gets overworked, she goes to restaurants now quite often. I need to remind her that the more you spend the more you have to make to be in the exact same place. She may think she is making lots of money, but in essence she is giving that money to restaurants and fitness clubs, she was better off when she worked less and made half the money.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The girl could not identify a shocking amount of the fruits and veggies in our house on sight.

Many adults too. I often get a lot of fruits and veggies at the store and many cashiers have ZERO clue what they are.
I tell them and they still have to look it up.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That reminds me of this woman I used to work with. She didn't know what geese or deer were.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The girl could not identify a shocking amount of the fruits and veggies in our house on sight.

Many adults too. I often get a lot of fruits and veggies at the store and many cashiers have ZERO clue what they are.
I tell them and they still have to look it up.

They're looking up that 4 digit code to ring it up. Most have a cheat sheet with them.

In my day I had to memorize like 60 of them just to do checkout on night crew.

edit on 15-7-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

It's partially that, but they also don't know what they are. We've had several ask us what we do with them too. Chayote gets all kinds of weird looks and queries for example. Maybe it's just that we have no fear of looking up how to use ingredients that aren't common to plain American cooking, and cashiers feel comfortable asking the "pale" folks what to do with ingredients that aren't typical carrots, celery, onions in a day and age when everyone is so super-racially sensitive that asking someone what they plan to do with something could be seen as some kind of racist question like asking someone where they're from can be.
edit on 15-7-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join