It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Most Evolutionists Don’t BELIEVE in Evolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Perplexing question or is it a play on the word? Or is it true? A conundrum perhaps?

What say you?

For my part, I believe they don’t. BUT I also believe they think it as fact.

And to them, I believe, to think that it is a fact is more than enough, because to admit that they do, i.e. believe in it, is tantamount to having faith. And that’s a taboo. It’s like believing in evolution is an act of “faith” (as though it is not).

But why does this matter?

It matters for the fact that it shows the depth of one’s conviction on the matter. Hence on this fact, they are not really fully convinced of its truthfulness but just think of it as such.

But let’s put it to the test.

Do you (evolutionists) BELIEVE in evolution?

Are you uncomfortable with that word, if so, what word or vocabulary do you want to use to define your “belief” in evolution?

Proponents of creation, what say you?

Any ideas why they are so scared of the word BELIEVE when it comes to evolution?

edit on 12-7-2019 by edmc^2 because: Why Most Evolutionists Don’t BELIEVE in Evolution?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: edmc^2

Believe is only something for things you can't know. Like you have to believe in a creator because there is no evidence so it's the opposite of knowing.
There is plenty of evidence for evolution so I don't have to believe because I know.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You seem to be a bit hung up on Evolution. You are free to believe what you want, so if you don't want to believe in Evolution then feel free not to. You can chose to be a creationist, an evolutionist, any ..ist you want to be.

I happen to think/guess/assume that maybe its possible that God created evolution. It makes me really appreciate him if he did. It's like he is a great artist/creator. He created the mechanism for life, dna/evolution, unleashed it and sat back and watched his creation create unlimited combinations. It's much like the universe.. random actions under the laws of physics creates unlimited variations of outcomes.. each one different and beautiful in its own way.

The cycle of creation, destruction, replacement is magnificent. I can imagine God sitting back and watching his creation unfold before his eyes as he sees it through the eye of the great artist that he is.

And he is just a word. I doubt God has a pronoun, but its easier for this mere human to say he/him.
edit on 12-7-2019 by MRinder because: typing

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Believe is only something for things you can't know. Like you have to believe in a creator because there is no evidence so it's the opposite of knowing.
There is plenty of evidence for evolution so I don't have to believe because I know.

So what word should be used for "believing" in evolution then?

I tried using "think" but it doesn't make sense.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Know

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

You seem to be a bit hung up on Evolution. You are free to believe what you want, so if you don't want to believe in Evolution then feel free not to. You can chose to be a creationist, an evolutionist, any ..ist you want to be.

I happen to think/guess/assume that maybe its possible that God created evolution. It makes me really appreciate him if he did. It's like he is a great artist/creator. He created the mechanism for life, dna/evolution, unleashed it and sat back and watched his creation create unlimited combinations. It's much like the universe.. random actions under the laws of physics creates unlimited variations of outcomes.. each one different and beautiful in its own way.

The cycle of creation, destruction, replacement is magnificent. I can imagine God sitting back and watching his creation unfold before his eyes as he sees it through the eye of the great artist that he is.

And he is just a word. I doubt God has a pronoun, but its easier for this mere human to say he/him.

I got what you're saying, so what word should be used then instead of "belief"?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Know

Ok, know evolution is what? A fact?

If so what then, do you believe it is a fact?

See what I mean?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: edmc^2

I would think the word(s) in my case would be "I think" or "I hope" or "I theorize". I am not quite so stupid to think that "I know" that anything is for sure. Everything is my perception of what my senses say is happening around me. For all I know the entire universe and my existence could be an illusion designed to see what choices I make under various stimuli given the data stored in my brain as a frame of reference.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Know

Ok, know evolution is what? A fact?

If so what then, do you believe it is a fact?

See what I mean?

As much as facts exist, there are facts that some subsets of evolution exist. For instance, various rodents evolve to be less susceptible to man's attempts to kill them, bacteria evolve to become resistant to penicillin. So certainly you couldn't believe that no living thing evolves whatsoever. Could you?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I know it's a fact.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I would think the word(s) in my case would be "I think" or "I hope" or "I theorize". I am not quite so stupid to think that "I know" that anything is for sure. Everything is my perception of what my senses say is happening around me. For all I know the entire universe and my existence could be an illusion designed to see what choices I make under various stimuli given the data stored in my brain as a frame of reference.

Hence the conundrum.

How could you accept something that you don't believe in?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I know it's a fact.

But do you believe it?

See how it becomes a difficult platform to stand on?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I can repeat myself endlessly it's not difficult at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I accept it as more likely than what the creationists believe. I don't believe it to be fact. I am sure humans will learn more and more about the mechanisms of life over the next 1000's of years.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I use to believe evolution was fact until.i found out that everything they used to teach about it when I was In
Grade school were from scientific scammers. I'm still waiting g for proof of evolution that cNt be disputed before I jump back in that. Oat.

link   

It's no more difficult for Peeple to accept or believe evolution is true and to "stand" on that then it is for you to believe or know that the Bible is true, or even worse, your interpretation of what the Bible is saying is true. They are both theories, one with more physical evidence than the other.

link   

Perplexing question or is it a play on the word? Or is it true? A conundrum perhaps?

What say you?

And to them, I believe, to think that it is a fact is more than enough, because to admit that they do, i.e. believe in it, is tantamount to having faith. And that’s a taboo. It’s like believing in evolution is an act of “faith” (as though it is not).

It matters for the fact that it shows the depth of one’s conviction on the matter. Hence on this fact, they are not really fully convinced of its truthfulness but just think of it as such.

Are you uncomfortable with that word, if so, what word or vocabulary do you want to use to define your “belief” in evolution?

Any ideas why they are so scared of the word BELIEVE when it comes to evolution?

Ummm...perhaps the word your looking for is gnosis...science has knowledge pertaining to theory...yet can't claim fact as truth and remain scientific...

It's no different than a skeptical approach to conspiracy...

None of us on this site can claim truth and fact regarding any of the myriad considerations communicated as OP or response to OP...

We merely parrot opinion and foist perspective as fact...

None of us really know if any truth resides in any form of media we choose to opine about...

It sure is fun speculating here daily though...

YouSir

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

Okay cool.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I can repeat myself endlessly it's not difficult at all.

Ok, let's go deeper.

If you know evolution is a fact why is it then a theory?

And are the evidence really based on facts or just an interpretation?

For example, since there's no clear evidence of a fish gradually turning into an amphibian, how do you know it happened?

edit on 12-7-2019 by edmc^2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

What say you?

Ummm...perhaps the word your looking for is gnosis...science has knowledge pertaining to theory...yet can't claim fact as truth and remain scientific...

It's no different than a skeptical approach to conspiracy...

None of us on this site can claim truth and fact regarding any of the myriad considerations communicated as OP or response to OP...

We merely parrot opinion and foist perspective as fact...

None of us really know if any truth resides in any form of media we choose to opine about...

It sure is fun speculating here daily though...

YouSir

Sure, gnosis, but that word deals more in the spiritual matters. Not physical, as in biological evolution.

gno·sis
[ˈnōsəs]
NOUN
knowledge of spiritual mysteries.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join