It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska's Wildfire Season Is Exploding, Spreading Smoke Across the State

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

I remember driving through Delta Junction for whatever reason (visiting Valdez for some reason), and the entire valley below was smoke filled and had wind whipped flames. You could see the "ember hopping" where embers get air born and fly over to another patch of land and start another fire there.

I was glad that we had a fiver between the road and the fire! It would be scary trying to drive through it like we saw in Cali surrounded by trees starting to go up in flames.

Anyway, Anchorage is slowly getting back to normal as the air has cooled and cleared and we had rain yesterday.

My bartender buddy want's to start a new tradition: when the hot weather gets its first rain, we drop everything we are doing, and march around the bar!

I like it! But missed the first ever "march around the bar in the rain" event as I was not there that day...

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My prayers are out for your safety, and that you all will get the badly needed rain and cooler temperatures.

I live in Wisconsin, and we had quite a haze for a few days from forest fires in Canada. It was kind of eerie. Had some pretty sunsets, but a little spooky. I could actually smell it in the air one night. My hubby is on oxygen 24/7, and I worry about him at this time of the year.

Each summer we get this, and each year it seems to worsen.

Stay safe!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

You keep safe! And the hubby!

We’ve had it roll through several times since OP and it has not lasted (this morning looked bad but we are over it!)

Rain helped. Wind helped. And we dropped to 60 degrees F at night. In fact, last night was the first time my apartment hit 75! I wanted to sleep another hour this morning!

Our heat is creeping back up but nothing like the lower 48! This weekend... well, wish we all make it through! And that the power stays on!

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Update.

The dry summer has left large swaths of the state dry. This includes places like Sitka which abuts a rainforest (direct statement from a citizen this week Tuesday); and, as posted earlier, the Tongas Natl. Preserve (undeveloped forest).

Russia has forced their military to fight their Arctic fires.

Now Brazil’s Amazon is on fire.

And the smoke is back in Anchorage which now seems to be surrounded by forest fires and with no wind or rain, we are being chocked with smoke.

Just thought to share a small turn for the worst. And it seems like the whole world is burning.

Stay safe out there!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join