It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Name the New Monkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
An online auction ended Thursday for the right to name a newly discovered species of monkey. The winning bid of $650,000 will fund protection of the Bolivian habitat where the nameless monkeys live. The winning bidder, who outbid Ellen De Generes, remains anonymous, as does the future name of the newly discovered species of monkey.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK - The right to name a new species of monkey sold Thursday for $650,000 in an online auction, with the funds going to protect the Bolivian habitat where the species lives, the Web site that handled the sale said.

The winning bidder, who outbid Ellen DeGeneres, chose to remain anonymous for now, said Kelly Fiore, director of business development for the New York-based auction venue, Charity Folks.

There was no immediate information on what the winner planned to name the species, but an announcement might be made later, Fiore said.

The species of titi monkey — which is about a foot tall and has a brown body, a golden crown, orange cheeks and a white-tipped tail — was discovered by a Wildlife Conservation Society scientist in Madidi National Park in Bolivia last year, the conservation society said. The term "titi monkey" describes about 30 species of monkeys found in South America.

The proceeds of the auction were to be given to Bolivia's park service to help protect Madidi and the many animals that live there. The conservation society said it was overjoyed.

"The Internet just became a safety net for this monkey and Madidi National Park," Wildlife Conservation Society president Steven Sanderson said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The name of the new monkey, a species of titi monkey, will have to conform to the rules of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, the organization that ensures every animal has a unique and universally accepted scientific name. The monkey is about 12 inches in height, has a brown body and a golden crown, with orange cheeks and sports a white-tipped tail. Whose has not pondered the thought of creating the name of a newly discovered species of life? It begs the question, “what would you name the monkey”?

Related News Links:
www.wcs.org
www01.charityfolks.com

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I would name it:

Poonus changus: the hungry monkey.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If Ellen had won the name would be Liberalis moonbatus

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I don't know. Either someone has a lot of money to throw around, someone really cares about monkeys, or really wants to have a monkey named after them. I bet it will be stupid. Something like Homo shmomo

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I would name it Bushaco and quickly give it to M. Jackson so he could house break it and stroke it to the tune of "Beat It"

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
I would name it:

Poonus changus: the hungry monkey.

Yo Poon wassup...

That's hilarious... I would name it Maturbis Prenatalus

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
I would name it Bushaco and quickly give it to M. Jackson so he could house break it and stroke it to the tune of "Beat It"

been a full minute, but I'm still laughing about it.
That was SOOOO wrong!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
you guys are too funny!

Here's some links of related stories with a photo of the monkeys. Though, there appears that there is only one picture floating around.

www.usatoday.com...

abcnews.go.com...

money.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Good find and good thread poonchang. Thanks.

...and thanks for all the funnies everyone.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'd name it Pootie-Tang

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i would name this monkey,

The Funky Monkey

funkious monkeeous

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This is how rain forests, indigenous tribes, and other Hollywood causes should be funded. By volunteers putting their own money where their beliefs are. Making it easy to pay a little bit.

Not from forced redistribution of wealth through taxation. Not from so-called aid organizations that time and time again defraud the well meaning public. Not from the calls of loud celebrities who throw lavish parties that cost more than the donations collected, just to promote their careers and visibility.

The internet allows some amazing things-thousands of small businesses operating underfoot and under the radar of the international mega corporations. Communication of an individual so his voice can be heard worldwide. Corrupt and biased Big Media having it's lies exposed worldwide by a few voices.

The internet can allow anyone with a problem and a cause to find ways to get their own aid. Regardless of their own politics or the politics of the "aid" cartels, or the international media. I see an inner city after-school program doing something similar to raise funds, just for itself. A farm in the Midwest taking it's case to the world. A dying people getting it's own aid, or leaving it's cultural legacy stored for the future.

The time for monopolized industry, monopolized thought, and monopolized charity to fade away has arrived. I know it will fight to preserve itself, but with diligence and patience, ideas like the original post can be the norm instead of something rare.

new topics

top topics

join