It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White dog mess and other things missing from the 70s .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Apologies for the off the wall thread title but I couldn't think of any other way to word it.

Chatting to a friend the other day we started discussing things from out Childhoods that we no longer see .

Fashions, foods, toys etc come and go but some things you'd imagine would still be around today .

Below is a short list for starters ...

1) White Dog mess
2) Small Electric Blue Disabled Cars
3) Those tiny red ants we used to call "Bloodsuckers"
4) Metal leg braces and those thick soled boots
5) "I've been to ..." Holiday flags in car windows

I'll add more as I remember them .

These are UK centric but I'd love to hear about similar "missing items" from ATS Colleagues wherever they may be .

Cheers .

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

The white dog poo things has been giving me some confusion for a while now.... Where have they all gone?

Do we feed dogs different food now or what?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Rumor has it dog poo turns white over time. So with the increase in 'pooper-scoops' and owners generally picking it up more you are less likely to see it around. That said, I did receive a Whatsapp photo a few months ago of some 'chalky white', certainly made me reminisce.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I had a miniscule red spider (actually called a clover mite) walking across my phone screen this morning.
And I went to a bbq at the weekend and helped pick up dog poo in the garden...... I was suprised to see white dog poo as I also thought it was a thing of the past. Seems white poo is just really old poo left out in the sun.
edit on 10-7-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   
According to Chris Evans on Radio 2, there was found to be too much calcium in dog food so the recipie was changed.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

No not true.
The garden poo I picked up varied from wet to dry to very dry...... the very dry was the white version.

The garden owner had not picked up poo for a very long time.

I actually believed that white poo was caused by eating more bones in the past...... but after what I experienced at the weekend, I know it is just old dried out poo.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Have you noticed that there are much much less bugs splattered on your car windscreen?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Any additions yet?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Have you noticed that there are much much less bugs splattered on your car windscreen?

Insect numbers are falling rapidly.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
indeed however that’s more recent. It’s like 10 to 15 years since I last saw a bloodsucker.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I saw one today...... I must admit I was surprised....... and it was an odd coincidence that you are mentioning them in this thread..
And they are called 'clover mites' by the way.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

We here in the deep south used to have thousands of different species of ants. Since the fire ant invasion of the early '70's, they've decimated the other ants. But, the fire ants have reduced the number of termites, also. I just wish the fire ants weren't so discriminating in getting the old pests that still eat up my garden.

Deer, coyotes and turkey are another group of pests that weren't around in the '60's like they are today. In the '60's a hunter could go deer hunting all season and not even see a deer, now I've got them in my garden. Turkeys, too. Coyotes aren't as bad as they used to be about 6 or 8 years ago, but they still serenade us to sleep about twice a week.

Oh, did I mention armadillos? Some scientist should grow one to the size of an 18 wheeler and use it for tunnel boring. My God, those things can ruin a yard.

Those are just a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head...

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Money backed by the gold standard ended in 71.
So money disappeared and reappeared as debt.

The banker promised to replace a note with real gold or silver but now you just get another note.

Prior to1992 the one pence and two pence coins were made of bronze but were changed to steel.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Star Jumpers.
Clackers.
Kids playing football.
Golden Cup chocolate bar.
Getting the cane at school.
Yamaha FS1-E.

Could go on but....

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Itisnowagain

Yes when I was younger you could not set on the cornner under a street light because of all the bugs. Now where did they all go?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Perhaps the polio vaccine has reduced the number of patients needing leg braces.
Going abroad on holiday has become so common that it has ceased to be prestigious.
The disabled cars have probably been replaced by newer models.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Spending summer holidays building Dens by the river.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Road signs with bullet holes. Bags and newspapers in the gutters downtown.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I remember my mom taking me a few blocks from the house I grew up in during the 70's to the "Dime Store" to pick out a toy. Everything in the store was 10 cents or less, and I could usually find something fun to play with. Now we have "Dollar Stores" and the crap they have is far worse than the crap we had back then.

Then, we could walk across the street to Dick's Drive-In and get a cheeseburger, fries, AND a coke for less than a dollar!

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ahh penny and halfpenny sweets.

A 10p mixture could last two days.

Sigh.
a reply to: seattlerat

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join