It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$200 fine crossing road with earphones on.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Australian council proposes $200 fine for pedestrians crossing the road either on their phone or with headphones on.

They have got to be kidding right.

Apparently people are becoming oblivious to the dangers of traffic, too distracted by there phones or music.

Talk about revenue raising. Making ends meet is becoming hard enough without this kinda nonsense.

I for one think it's a step to far to actually give an infringement for this - especially that sort of $.

Will it catch on?

What a nanny country. What a joke.

www.thesenior.com.au...

edit on 4-7-2019 by CthruU because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2019 by CthruU because: link issues

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Man cross's road wearing headphones.

Car brakes suddenly to avoid hitting the twat.

Car behind smashes into the car in front that has braked suddenly.

No. A $200 fine is not enough.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Add to this , Parents emerging from behind parked cars pushing a pram in front of them .

If little Johnny or Jane are so precious pull the pram behind you so you get hit first .

Rant over .

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You know it's all screwed when you feel the need to have to fine people for not employing what was once considered 'common' sense,

I'm'a grab a cold one and just sit back and enjoy the show,

What was that documentary called? Idiocracy?

Yeah yeah, I think that was the one.

Lol

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity
You know it's all screwed when you feel the need to have to fine people for not employing what was once considered 'common' sense,

I'm'a grab a cold one and just sit back and enjoy the show,

What was that documentary called? Idiocracy?

Yeah yeah, I think that was the one.

Lol

What's the law - oh yes, ignorance is no excuse.

If their stupid enough to not employ basic childhood lessons getting hit will definitely teach em.

But fines for this? Just digging deeper into our pockets. Like their not wrist deep as it is.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Add to this , Parents emerging from behind parked cars pushing a pram in front of them .

If little Johnny or Jane are so precious pull the pram behind you so you get hit first .

Rant over .

Now that's worth a fine as endangering someone elses life instead of your own.

Especially a defenseless minor.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Car behind doesn't leave required safe braking distance. Car behind pays.

The point?????

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Try being a cyclist, its really to begin to be crazy. 9 out of 10 kids are walking with their phones in their hands in the morning on their way to school.
It is really bad here since we live across the street from the high school. I want to make a sign and put it into their face in the morning. The problem is they dont give a #te.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: alldaylong

Car behind doesn't leave required safe braking distance. Car behind pays.

The point?????

The point is i have seen it happen.

Car behind was pulling out from the kerb after being parked. Goes to move away then BANG.

Twat in headphones just looks at driver and walks away. Not my fault guv.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
One of my big fears is hitting and injuring or killing a pedestrian/biker/skateboarder because they aren't paying attention, because even though it would technically be their fault, the guilt would destroy my entire life.

Simple solution, stereo earbuds should not be the standard anymore, all phones/mp3 players should only ever come with a mono ear bud, anyone cought driving/biking/walking with stereo ear buds or headphones should be required to perform 40 hrs of community service.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Try being a cyclist, its really to begin to be crazy. 9 out of 10 kids are walking with their phones in their hands in the morning on their way to school.
It is really bad here since we live across the street from the high school. I want to make a sign and put it into their face in the morning. The problem is they dont give a #te.

So if school kids get this fine who pays for it? The kids probably won't have the capacity.

So the parents - Wonder after how many fines before the parents are on board with scrapping it?

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

It's bull crap laws like this that irritate the hell out of me.

Common sense!

Use a seatbelt, wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, don't use your phone while driving. . . .

When the government, any government, starts successfully fining people for not having common sense, then we're all pretty much screwed.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

So the parents - Wonder after how many fines before the parents are on board with scrapping it?

Fines are cheaper than having to cover the cost of burying their dead kid.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The light just turned green and went forward a bit then slammed on the brakes because some kid was looking at her phone walking past like a suicidal moron. That could have ruined my life. At least with headphones you aren't looking at the screen ALL the time. Fine them or their parents!

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Already happening here in the UK......

Not just motorists but cyclists too!!

A YOGA teacher knocked out by a cyclist when she stepped into the road while staring at her phone is set to win thousands in compensation.Both were knocked unconsciousness in the collision - with Gemma suffering a minor head injury and Hazeldean ending up with cuts.

The pedestrian launched a bid for compensation blaming him for the accident - despite a court hearing she was staring at her phone when she walked on to the road.

Hazeldean is now liable to pay out because "cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways", Judge Shanti Mauger said.Central London County Court heard Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his bike - as well as shouting, swerving and braking.

But he still ploughed into the yoga teacher at 15mph after she suddenly walked out from the crowded pavement into the road during rush hour.

The judge accepted the cyclist was a "calm and reasonable road user" and that Gemma "was looking at her phone" when she walked into the road in front of him.

She had "panicked" and tried to get back on the traffic island but the cyclist had swerved in the same direction.

www.thesun.co.uk...

edit on 4-7-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Compare the number of deaths, accidents for a couple of years before and after the law. Those numbers will look quite different IMO but I do think it should be a personal choice. Inform people of the dangers with signs but let them decide.

Personally, I never wear headphones in public unless sitting down. I run outside often and it's too dangerous. People running traffic lights, pack of dogs, limb falling, someone scoping me out to rob me. I have encountered all of these things over the years. I have even helped people. Pushed a stalled car out the way, told a women which direction her lost dog went and told off a couple of guys cat calling a women walking home from work. They shut up immediately.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's bull crap laws like this that irritate the hell out of me.

Common sense!

Use a seatbelt, wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, don't use your phone while driving. . . .

When the government, any government, starts successfully fining people for not having common sense, then we're all pretty much screwed.

All rules created to protect stupid people, ensuring that bad genetics remain in the gene pool.
Let them cross roads with headphones on, at least we'll start to weed out the idiots.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: musicismagic

So if school kids get this fine who pays for it? The kids probably won't have the capacity.

I think your comment is anti-kids with common sense.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
The light just turned green and went forward a bit then slammed on the brakes because some kid was looking at her phone walking past like a suicidal moron. That could have ruined my life. At least with headphones you aren't looking at the screen ALL the time. Fine them or their parents!

In Japan here they go after the parents and extended family , like relatives , no joke.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Sounds like some bored lawmakers.

Does this mean people who are deaf aren't allowed to cross the street?

Hell, blind people can cross streets...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join