It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Federal Judge Rules that Asylum Seekers Can NOT Be Detained.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
July 2, 2019

What to do with the hundreds of thousands of "Asylum Seekers" now?

SEATTLE (AP) — A federal judge in Seattle has blocked a Trump administration policy that would keep thousands of asylum seekers locked up while they pursue their cases.

U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman ruled Tuesday that people who are detained after entering the country to seek protection are entitled to bond hearings.

Attorney General William Barr announced in April that the government would no longer offer such hearings, but instead keep them in custody. It was part of the administration's efforts to deter a surge of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Immigrant rights advocates including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project sued to block the policy, which was due to take effect July 15.
Source: www.sfchronicle.com...

I guess the only two remaining options are to transfer them out of the country...or release them into the country?

-CareWeMust
edit on 7/2/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's an auto ruling against Trump there. It will need to go to the SC.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sounds like we need to expand the facilities at GITMO. We also need to get rid of these activist judges.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It's an auto ruling against Trump there. It will need to go to the SC.

So that means it's not effective immediately?

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I'd really like to know how this knothead judge determined that the American Civil Liberties Union had any standing in this case.

How are they being harmed? How are they losing money? Why do they have any standing?

Clarence Thomas hinted in a ruling last year that perhaps it is time that the SC determines exactly what power Federal Judges have on the Executive Branch, specifically in regards to executive orders.

Hopefully this will be the case.

The judge should be disbarred.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Sounds like we need to expand the facilities at GITMO. We also need to get rid of these activist judges.

President Trump recently "flipped" a circuit court from Liberal to Conservative. I think it was the D.C. circuit court.

The west coast is heavy with Anti-America judges.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I say we create a new bus line that runs from Tijuana & El Paso right up to Seattle - Non stop service with a free meal on the way. We can make the drop off point the neighborhood where the Judge lives. That sounds pretty fair to me. It is a sanctuary city after all - so let's start filling the buses!

Maybe we can create a crowdfunded company to buy or lease the buses to shuttle these "migrants" up to Seattle. I'll donate.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

They will get a stay and off to the scotus.
The bad orange man wont lose at the scotus.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

At the rate President Trump/Mitch McConnell are getting judges appointed, the next Democrat in the White House is going to catch hell from the judiciary. It will be even worse than what the current liberal judges are doing to Trump now.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

They will get a stay and off to the scotus.
The bad orange man wont lose at the scotus.

The Trump Admin lost on the citizenship-census issue at the SCOTUS. Today the DOJ threw in the towel. They won't fight the ruling.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The majority of immigrants would not fall under this anyways.

This "should" be for those immigrants who are fleeing their homelands under fearing for their lives. Which I've known a few that have left Colombia after having FARK members trying to extort money out of them or killing them if they don't pay. I would have to agree that in those cases there should be a process for releasing those immigrants.

www.ice.gov...
edit on 2-7-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Probably the same thing we have done for the rest of America’s history..

Give themselves a court date and if they don’t show up issue a warrant. From that point any interaction they have with authorities gets them arrested, and likely deported.. since they skipped their court date.

I really think people are oblivious to the actual logistics and cost involved in jailing people..it cost 40k per person, per year on average to jail an American..

I bet a child is twice that..

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I’m not sure you can legally jail someone who hasn’t committed a crime, and by actually reporting at a port of entry and doing the paperwork, they haven’t committed anything resembling a crime..

Plus it only benefits them to show up for their court date.. won’t be getting asylum otherwise obviously..

So what is it called when you want to jail people who have not committed a crime.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

If they've not reported at POE and entered illegally then what? Are they then able skirt that crime by making up reason to request asylum.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

When did Marsha Pechman become our Queen and rule by decree?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

When did Marsha Pechman become our Queen and rule by decree?

About the same time that Hawaiian Judge did.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hit the illegals with some hefty fines.... Oh.... That's what is in the news right now. Up to 500 grand! LOL

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

I’m not sure you can legally jail someone who hasn’t committed a crime, and by actually reporting at a port of entry and doing the paperwork, they haven’t committed anything resembling a crime..

Plus it only benefits them to show up for their court date.. won’t be getting asylum otherwise obviously..

So what is it called when you want to jail people who have not committed a crime.

So you haven't unraveled what the "illegal" part of illegal immigrant means...

Fascinating.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

I never knew that claiming asylum nullifies the illegal entry issue. I guess I didn't think such a law would exist in a thinking society.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If I were to poop on the street in front of the State Capitol Building in Olympia would I get detained? They seem to have no respect for law so anything goes, right?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join