It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to tackle homelessness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com... 3zMfcJVPpkQ

Trump Suggests Homelessness Problem Began 2 Years Ago, and He Is Looking to Solve It

There are some that laugh and say homelessness has been around forever. That's true, but it is getting worse and some cities that have never had
a problem with it and now seeing it everywhere.

I hope this is more than just talk and he really does something about it. I do believe that a large portion of the homeless are either mentally ill, or drug addicts. Of course there are some that choose to live that way and there are a few that have fallen on hard times. I'm guessing the hard times people will be the easiest to help. The drug issues is a much larger problem and who knows when that will ever be "solved".

Florida has a gigantic homeless problem. Most tourist don't realize it because it is very well hidden. I remember taking a wrong turn in Orlando and seeing a street of homeless people. It was something out of a nightmare. Many of them were naked, some were missing limbs. Some were slumped over the curb looking half dead. I just couldn't believe it. Some parts of America looking like a third world country. Now that it is seeping into fancy cities, Seattle, DC, etc it's a problem..

I wonder what is the solution, hide it?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well I hope something comes of it, big big job. The old county hospitals that were closed long go used to keep the ones with mental illness on their meds and check on the ones that were not actually in the hospitals. That helped a lot who decided they needed to close I don't know.
I do know just handing out homes of any kind even the little moveable ones fails. Around out area we have many in the summer, when it gets chilly people make sure they have everything even nice new sleeping bags, but then you see those rotting in the bushes.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

According to your source :

“We’ve never had this in our lives before in our country,” President Trump said.

Twisted media said 2 years, he didn't.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If they are willing to work and earn their way at a job that is provided for them there might be a chance of getting them off the street successfully. If not all they'll ever be is a liability.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My ex-wife had what I thought was a pretty good solution except for it not being exactly legal. It would involve rounding up the homeless people who are messed up on drugs, shipping them to one of the many closed and partially abandoned army camps in the country, and essentially giving them all the free drugs they want (along with food, a place to sleep, etc.) until they either die - if that's what they want to do - or decide to leave. They can pick their poison -- heroin, coke, meth, whatever -- all nice and clean and manufactured and provided by the government. Doctors would be available to monitor dosages, as well as offer support and advice to those who want to kick it.

And if you want to leave, all you need to do is pass a drug screen for three months in a row, and you can go home. Anybody who can do that in an environment where the drugs are literally free will probably be okay on the outside. Along with the free hard drugs, anti-depressants and anti-psychotics would also be available for those who need them.

It would clean up the city streets and be a hell of a lot more cost-effective than having the police chase these guys in an out of public areas. Pennies on the dollar. An added benefit is that it would likely greatly reduce (although not completely eliminate) the market for the drug dealers, driving them out of business.

If we get the hardcore drug addicts off the streets then we can start to work with the clean homeless people who are there simply by circumstance and sincerely want to rejoin regular society.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Your ex wife's plan sounds harsh, but when you think about reality, it's worse... All these addicts overdosing and then being brought to life over and over. It is madness.

I watched a show on Netflix, I think it is called Dope. The dealers say they feel bad but these people want to OD, so they give it to them.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is terrible! If Trump fixes this problem, then it cant be good. The DNC needs homelessness! Who the heck will there be left to vote for them, besides the mentally ill, and the Mexicans in fresh from swimming over the border, and the Africans that they are promising trillions of dollars they are going to steal from everyone else. This is an emergency situation! tRump must be stopped at all costs!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Trump is probably the most compassionate President we have had in my lifetime. He actually cares about people and follows through on what he says. I am proud to have him as my POTUS.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

“When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that,” he said. “They can’t be looking at scenes like you see in Los Angeles and San Francisco . . . So we’re looking at it very seriously. We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up.”

Because how things look is what is important. What a jackball.

Homelessness has so many underlying causes and can happen to anyone. Drug law reform, housing and job availability for persons with criminal histories, mental health support...but nah, clean them up - put them in a nice fema camp or something.

I don't think Trump has the capacity to do anything about homelessness short of "rounding them up".

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

President Trump will get NO COOPERATION from local officials in California or Oregon or Washington state.

They will resist his efforts to help the homeless, with all their might!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted

“When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that,” he said. “They can’t be looking at scenes like you see in Los Angeles and San Francisco . . . So we’re looking at it very seriously. We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up.”

Homelessness has so many underlying causes and can happen to anyone. Drug law reform, housing and job availability for persons with criminal histories, mental health support...but nah, clean them up - put them in a nice fema camp or something.

I don't think Trump has the capacity to do anything about homelessness short of "rounding them up".

What's the bet he's planning something similar to what they did in Rio for the games, the moved the homeless away and put walls up around the train lines so when the trains passed through the crap areas no one could see it.

He's not tackling homelessness he's going to remove them from sight.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The solution is to elect officials that vow to clean the mess up instead of brushing it off while they target Trump. I'm sure we'll hear all about how this isn't a problem from the very liberals who preside over these cities. They're disgusting and the other leftists are too busy blaming New Zealand shootings and the border crisis (which they finally admit) on Trump.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That's it exactly. He's not looking to help anyone but himself, as usual.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Oh come on. The instant a druggie wants more than the doc gives them, they'll try tearing the place down. Then what, kick them back out to the street where they originally came from? Your solution enables them further, it doesn't help. We need to open asylums back up. These homeless people are known to nobody, they can either make it and start a new life or they can break.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

Good enough for me. Why should hard working Americans have to walk past these people and step over their piles of crap and puddles of piss the lay on the sidewalk? That's actually worse than a third world country and all you can muster up is to say how things look aren't important. Drug law reform, are you crazy? Don't answer that. These aren't people who get busted with a small baggy of weed, these are mouth breathing addicts. If you want them somewhere besides the street or a fema camp, let's round a few up and put them in your home where you can buy all their drugs and keep them high. Let us know how you like it.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

According to your source :

“We’ve never had this in our lives before in our country,” President Trump said.

Twisted media said 2 years, he didn't.

He said two years. I watched the video and saw and heard him say it.

Trump: "It's a phenomenon that started two years ago..."

But go ahead and make # up if you want.
edit on 2-7-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Oh come on. The instant a druggie wants more than the doc gives them, they'll try tearing the place down. Then what, kick them back out to the street where they originally came from? Your solution enables them further, it doesn't help. We need to open asylums back up. These homeless people are known to nobody, they can either make it and start a new life or they can break.

That's why, as I said, you give them as much as they want, even if it kills them. The in-house doctor (more likely a medical technician) will advise against strong doses, but won't refuse. If the addict remains intransigent, fine. They can die. It'll free up another bed for somebody really would like to go clean. In a way, they would be "asylums," using the old-fashioned sense of the word. A place where they can work out their problems without butting heads with the rest of the world. Even if it means dying. Counseling will be available, but you know how most of these guys are. "You can't tell me what to do, man!"

There are obviously legal and ethical difficulties with the idea. But if the idea is to control the problem and minimize the costs and danger to regular society, it's one way to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Admitted

What's the bet he's planning something similar to what they did in Rio for the games, the moved the homeless away and put walls up around the train lines so when the trains passed through the crap areas no one could see it.

He's not tackling homelessness he's going to remove them from sight.

I heard he was going to gas them. In chambers.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Your idea isn't a bad one really, I'm not exactly sure what else could be done at least ethically, you can't help people who won't help themselves so that is at least a reasonable alternative.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your idea isn't a bad one really, I'm not exactly sure what else could be done at least ethically, you can't help people who won't help themselves so that is at least a reasonable alternative.

The bottom line is that people have to be willing to help themselves. If they're absolutely not willing to participate in society and play by the rules, there's nothing anyone can do other than contain and manage them like animals.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join