It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oumuamua "not an alien spaceship", researchers conclude

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Cigar-shaped interstellar object 'not an alien spaceship'

After poring over data, a team of researchers wrote that "we find no compelling evidence to favour an alien explanation".

Scientists say a mysterious cigar-shaped object spotted speeding through the solar system in 2017 is probably not an alien spaceship.

However, after investigating the nature of the object called Oumuamua, astronomers still remain uncertain over how to classify it.

This is not a Hollywood movie. This is real life. Even if Oumuamua was an "extraterrestrial" vessel of some sort, we here on Earth would not know how to deal with this. There is no protocol, there is no set of guidelines, it is just not something that governments have seriously envisioned...

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
Cigar-shaped interstellar object 'not an alien spaceship'

After poring over data, a team of researchers wrote that "we find no compelling evidence to favour an alien explanation".

Scientists say a mysterious cigar-shaped object spotted speeding through the solar system in 2017 is probably not an alien spaceship.

However, after investigating the nature of the object called Oumuamua, astronomers still remain uncertain over how to classify it.

This is not a Hollywood movie. This is real life. Even if Oumuamua was an "extraterrestrial" vessel of some sort, we here on Earth would not know how to deal with this. There is no protocol, there is no set of guidelines, it is just not something that governments have seriously envisioned...

I'm just happy they gave it a look, good to see they're at least interested in entertaining the possibility these days.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

I just adore when "scientists" use lingo like "probably"...it means they dont know really.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Would you rather they say, we're not 100% sure, therefore ALIENS!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I agree.

There's nothing definitive about "probably", and yet the thread title implies it's conclusive.

Sad that we destroy what we fear, and dismiss what we can't confirm...

ETA: Who knows.. could just be a cover up.

*Disclaimer: This is a conspiracy website. All opinions expressed are appropriate.

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 02 Jul 2019 05:17:12 -05007amTuesdaynd05am by EternalShadow because: ETA

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

My point was...you use such lingo, but expect us to believe science blindly. Cant count the number of times I read in a science article sentences that start with..."scientists previously believed...but new research now shows...(something different)".

I know I know...that's the beauty of science, it is always right in the end, no matter how wrong they were previously.

But if you dont accept scientific maybes and probablys...then you're science denier.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

worst thing for me is...scientists dont want to touch or research anything that goes against the current accepted paradigm.

I feel that, if a huge spaceship comes into our orbit and parks there and waits, it would be ignored by scientists, because as far as they know...there are no aliens. Fermi said so..therefore. They cant traverse the distances. It's the law of the land. Therefore...it's "probably" a mirage and not even worthy of a mention.

For instance, it is simply amazing to me...how we never hear anything on the recently highlighted subject of "Tic-Tac" UFO by the mainstream scientist. As if...nothing to see here..move along. It's just some unknown stuff breaking our known laws of physics. Boooooring...yawn. Recent comment from the Joe Public Tyson just made me facepalm. He as a scientist was all gung ho to stop those things...whatever they are. Science shmience.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Imagine if they had concluded otherwise, career end and worse stuff

I think some people also concluded the earth was flat at some point lmao! Better be flat or else, right?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

On the one hand you say this:

worst thing for me is...scientists dont want to touch or research anything that goes against the current accepted paradigm.

Then you say this:

Cant count the number of times I read in a science article sentences that start with..."scientists previously believed...but new research now shows...(something different)".

You do seem to contradict yourself, there.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

I agree.

There's nothing definitive about "probably", and yet the thread title implies it's conclusive.

Sad that we destroy what we fear, and dismiss what we can't confirm...

ETA: Who knows.. could just be a cover up.

*Disclaimer: This is a conspiracy website. All opinions expressed are appropriate.

This reply of yours, dear friend, just screams "I will believe it's aliens no matter what!" Look at you reason yourself into dismissing the conclusions of the study because it didn't say what you want it to. THEN, you go on and imply that the researchers are dismissing the possibility of "alien spaceship!" because they are afraid.

I get it that you want to believe, but this type of "true believer" attitude/mode of thinking is part of what makes folks dismiss the "aliens!" hypothesis in the first place.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Would you rather they say, we're not 100% sure, therefore ALIENS!

I think his honest amswere would be "yes."

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

The beauty of science is it can adapt and grow as new information arises. It can admit when it's wrong and improve in it's understandings and increase in knowledge. Whereas all religion can do is stubbornly claim it's right and never change, closest to change being reinterpretation and turning a blind eye to the overly problematic parts.

Stubbornly saying I'm right in light of new evidence to the contrary is not a virtue. I'm not sure why the religious think it is.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I just adore when "scientists" use lingo like "probably"...it means they dont know really.

But the scientists did not say that - they said this:

"we find no compelling evidence to favour an alien explanation".

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Even if they had said probably, no issue there. Only morons speak in absolutes. We're not omniscience and errors in perception and equipment occurs. Anyone who demands definitives is an unreasonable fool.
edit on 7/2/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   

My point was...you use such lingo, but expect us to believe science blindly.

They (the scientists) did not actually use such lingo. A journalist did. So direct your ire at journalists, not scientists.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Yes, but these scientists did not speak in absolutes. They said there was "no compelling evidence" that this thing was an alien spaceship. Fair enough, surely?.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I know they didn't. Which is good.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I get you now.

Sorry - I misunderstood you.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The beauty of science is it can adapt and grow as new information arises. It can admit when it's wrong and improve in it's understandings and increase in knowledge.

But the Scientist never admit to it. They just brush away...with.."we previously believed"...and as if that's no biggie. But it is a biggie. You previously wrote scientific articles and were vetted by the science community. It was accepted as...for lack of better words...gospel. That speaks volumes to a critical mind.

It truly reminds me of religion sometimes. In the end...plenty of science stuff is based on a belief of one scientist, and then others follow suit.

For the record. I'm not religious, nor a flat earther...I prefer science, though it's full of flaws and half truths, and is in my view subject to criticism.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

For the record, I dont claim it's aliens in this case. The cigar shaped rock.

"we find no compelling evidence to favour an alien explanation".

would there ever be ?

Point is...even if it were aliens..none of our scientists would dare to speak it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join