It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'1 Mass Shooting Per Day' in America now.. since Columbine!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The way this statistic is compiled, two groups of adult gangbangers shooting at each other with three wounded, five blocks away from a school, at 4 AM on a Sunday morning in July, would be a "mass school shooting". Oh wait it was in Pittsburgh two years ago.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

well to be very specific, everytime a gun or rifle is discharged and it hits another object, it is a mass shooting, not necessarily a group of people though.

at least I am being more accurate than VOX.com.

and more honest.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: letni

The vox article says that 115 people have been killed by a gun so far in 2019.

Just as something to compare that number to.
37k people died in 2017 by car accidents in the United states.
That breaks down to just over 100 deaths per day.

That's deaths in mass shootings only.

Total gun deaths in The US are 30 to 40k a year.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Vox is just making **** up like usual. There is no widely accepted definition of "Mass shooting". So the wonderful morons at Vox create their own definition.

By their definition I was involved in a mass shooting while hunting sage grouse. Me and 3 friends got accidentally peppered while down range from other hunters.
edit on 30-6-2019 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I do think this is an issue we should address. But, thats an incredibly difficult thing to do when so many use the topic to win political points, upvotes, and retweets.

For one, stats tend to conflate a lot of different circumstances and environments under the same banner. Usually not explicitly, but the undertone of "school shooting," etc.

However, there is a huge difference between something like a school shooting and gang violence. The latter tends to be a huge portion of the stats, yet it will require completely different tactics to truly address.

And, importantly, nothing involving gun control will do much of anything. At least in regards to violence and deaths. Even if it successfully reduced "gun deaths," of which I am dubious, people would use other means and methods. Many of those would be significantly worse than someone using a firearm of any type.

I do feel we have a violence problem, and sometimes guns are used in the pursuit of violence. But, I would contend that anything involving firearm bans would likely result in events with much, much higher death tolls. In other words, adhering to the 2nd might very well be keeping violent deaths down for a few reasons.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I thought that the 1993 movie "Falling Down" starring Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall was an interesting and complex story about how people can break and become violent mass shooters. The main character had a good defense job, a nice home with a wife and a child, but he got laid off permanently and lost his whole life due to changing circumstances he ultimately couldn't handle. He finally loses it and takes his frustration out on anyone who he felt deserved it (IMO, most of them did deserve it). Due to an unlikely series of events, he goes on a rampage across LA until he comes to the end when he finally realizes that he actually is the bad guy and not just a victim fighting back against a world he couldn't live with any more. All of this was filmed during the LA riots interestingly enough.

Sorely under rated and misunderstood, I feel that "Falling Down" was foreshadowing what would soon become a common place occurrence in our present day society. I also found it to be entertaining and could sympathize with the Douglas character even though he was pretty twisted and not at all likable.
edit on 30-6-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Now you realize why we need to ban bayonet slugs and automatic clips!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

In 2018, more children drowned in bodies of water than all people killed in mAss shootings. Mass shootings are literally a non issue.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

based on one group’s definition of mass shooting.

Snip

Since the Sandy Hook shooting, there have been more than 2,000 mass shootings in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, were shot but not necessarily killed. Nearly 2,300 people have been killed and almost 8,400 have been wounded.

Apparently by their definition if an accidental discharge caused fragmentations that hit 4 people it would be counted as a mass shooting .

Obviously the statistics are total BS. Just look at the numbers. How many Catholic churches have been in the news with shootings during Mass? Show me over 7300 multiple shooting incident reports. Are we figuring suicides here too? From what you posted, accidental discharges count as mass shootings. Let's not forget all those LEOs at the range who get pinches, burns & bruises from hot ejected shells at the range too. As a statistician, I abhor these kinds of useless sampling methods to support predisposed onclusions.

ganjoa

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Friday, May 20, 2022

Several mass-shootings in Chicago already this year. But they are usually minorities shooting each other, in minority neighborhoods. Nobody in the media, the city leadership, or who live outside of those communities, gives a rip.

But last night, 9 people were shot IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD! The local news has been spending extra time putting pressure on the mayor and police commissioner today, to keep "those people" out of the civilized sections of Chicago.

For example, from tonight's local CBS News:

There were 12 shot about 2 months ago, but it happened in an authorized 100% minority neighborhood. Only a casual mention in local news. Nobody outside of the Chicago area knew that mass-shooting happened.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join