It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Saves Earth in 2022

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's a bird..

It's a plane...

No, it isn't a Tesla, neither!

Apparently it's a SpaceX rocket contracted between Elon & Nasa to launch a rocket around June 2021 then over a year later around Oct 2022 crash it into Didymos asteroid's 'moon', which will still then be about a dozen million km's away from earth, changing its trajectory.

What I for one am most wary of, is if the above public info is true, what's to say the trajectory really doesnt end up closer to Earth, not farther?! (Especially given that huge, peculiar gap in times.)

Then again, apparently better sooner than later?! =/

Some insight into what they might NOT be telling us.. (or is it a PsyOp?):

Never A Straight Answer?

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
so ...Pot smoking Elon , like Jesus ...

What I for one am most wary of, is if the above public info is true, what's to say the trajectory really doesnt end up closer to Earth, not farther?! (Especially given that huge, peculiar gap in times.)

...or it's just a way to make more money by introducing fear.

edit on 6292019 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Of course he will save the world, he is Elon fricken Musk after all!

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
We need to get to Mars and start populating it.. we need a backup planet

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

I always cringe at this ‘paradigm’ — yes, go to Mars and advance the the science of astrobiology, etc. I’m all for it (Mars exploration and limited habitation), but a “backup planet” is not feasible. Johannesburg almost ran out of potable water last year and a city of 10 million in India is approaching its “Zero Day”.

We can’t even desalinate brackish/seawater cost-effectively; packing up and heading to Mars to make our own air — supposedly an atmosphere, too — water, food and conditioning human biology for years of space travel and living on another planet is not the answer to whatever problem you feel we need a backup planet for.

There’s not a problem on earth we can’t solve that would cost the kind of resources and money making Mars a backup planet would. And if a humanity-ending celestial body hit (as we know humanity, it wouldn’t kill everyone and everything, as Earth’s history has proven time again), the remaining people would still thrive and repopulate in the aftermath orders of magnitude faster and more efficiently than attempting to make Mars a home in any circumstance.

The science that will be borne of Mars travel and human exploration will be worth every penny, but the whole “backup planet” is a nonstarter.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

Tell that to the dinosaurs

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The ability to solve those problems for Mars will make the same problems more easily solvable on Earth.

People like to say space exploration and the likes are a waste of time, however they have resulted in thousands of inventions or combinations of things that are in our every day lives.

Some of these things just so happens to be modern water filters (specifically microbial check valves) and efficient and thus practical solar panels. Just these two things have made Earth more livable.

Once we apply the filter of prolonged trips to Mars, re-usable and efficient inventions will follow.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Do you even read, bro?

The science borne of Mars travel and human exploration will be worth every penny

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

You mean the birds?

Yeah, they’re not a direct lineage of dinosaurs.

The dinosaurs didn’t need a backup planet. True story. Just ask the birds.

And the “extinction event” that you’re referencing with “tell that to the dinosaurs” isn’t even the most prolific extinction event in Earth’s history and here we are in 2019 with descendants of dinosaurs.

But hey, put your money where your mouth is: commercial/private trips to Mars are a distinct possibility, let us know how the air is.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Good lord how did ANYONE think privatizing space was a good idea...

None of these idiots will ever man-rate a rocket...

They are behind Von Braun’s NASA circa 1957....

It’s ludicrous to imagine a car salesman running our space “program”....

Some things require government subsidization...
see Columbus’ voyage for more info...or when we landed on the moon in 1969...

Seriously, with 1-2% gdp, NASA would have colonies on both the moon and mars by now...

Where have u gone, Werner?

-Chris

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   
So, like how are we so certain this isn't the doomsday asteroid, seems like a lot of trouble for a rock that's gonna miss us?

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I think Musk plans on heavily exploiting Mars and the moon in terms of resources. He's working on the craft to do this, they'll be launching the starlink constellation which will be a massive achievement for mankind... Virtually high speed internet anywhere on the planet.

All his projects are built for the end game of colonising other planets and pushing humanity into the cosmos. As for the starlink constellation, it's big, it's major... That's why other big companies are following suit. For Musk it's to pay for getting to Mars, I like what he's doing and wish him nothing but success.

With this technology we don't need a backup planet, that idea is yesterday's thinking anyways. Functioning habitats on other planets is going to be a logistical issue until they're established. Nothing else, we're inches away technology wise and some institutions (NASA) have already worked heavily in this field.

It's actually amazing what's going on today, most might not realize it but we're about to go though a change of cosmic scale in regards to technology and capabilities.

All these technologies will benefit Earth. Look at the stuff there's already been massive strides in like renewable energy production/storage, communications, food production, metallurgy, water filtration and much much more.

You can't tell a human not to explore, it's in our blood... Giving Mars an atmosphere is probably unattainable, living there isn't though.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: letni
Well it would be good practice for people NASA, or Musk and comp.

Thought to tell the truth, I think we can use a asteroid or two hitting earth, people got there heads to far up there ass, that there missing the majesty which is big ol chunky rock hitting you on the head. All civilizations should at least start over from basically back to stone age, or at the least horse and buggy, at the very least a few thousand times, it builds character.

But yes, Must should stick to making electric cars, and forget this whole going to Mars and teraforming this or that, its silly talk. Even if this rock is not going to hit? How do you know you can stop it or change its trajectory based on projections theories and movie plot lines?

Even the most educated of a plan may just well be a highly paid and opinionated educated guess. Till you actually try it, it remains a theory. And when you try it, then it becomes a theory in practice, and if it succeeds, then it no longer can be considered a theory. Till next time that is.

Like Mike Tyson used to say, everybody has a plan, till they get punched in the face.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Do you even read, bro?

There’s not a problem on earth we can’t solve that would cost the kind of resources and money making Mars a backup planet would. And if a humanity-ending celestial body hit (as we know humanity, it wouldn’t kill everyone and everything, as Earth’s history has proven time again), the remaining people would still thrive and repopulate in the aftermath orders of magnitude faster and more efficiently than attempting to make Mars a home in any circumstance.

The science that will be borne of Mars travel and human exploration will be worth every penny, but the whole “backup planet” is a nonstarter.

I said everything you said in a much succinct manner, pay attention — better than regurgitating what I said earlier.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

I dunno.. this article on the subject makes perfect sense to me:

NASA has chosen SpaceX to help out on its first-ever attempt to deflect an asteroid. The Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) will blast off on a Falcon 9 rocket in June 2021 from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. Its mission: To smash a satellite into the Didymos asteroid's small moon in a bid to knock it off its orbit. What sounds like the plot of a Michael Bay movie could turn out to be NASA's first line of defense against Earth-bound asteroids.

This is batting practice. But the stakes are still high: Failure could derail NASA's so-called "kinectic impactor technique," success will provide the crucial data that will inform its deployment against an actual asteroid on a collision course with Earth. ...

I'm actually pretty happy that we're trying to find a way to protect the planet against potential planet killers. NASA is testing it on the asteroids' moon and not the asteroid itself which means that they are not desperate to knock the asteroid off course for fear it'll collide with Earth. Either way, I can't wait to see what happens!! October 2022 should be an exciting month!

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

How many “potential planet killers” have ever visited earth?! I’ll give you a hint: O. Otherwise, well, if it has to be explained to you then there’s a saying for that — I’m sure you’re smart to figure it out.

Either way, 2022 will be exciting for those with a grasp of the science, and those merely uniformed speculators, such as you.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I guess you didn't read what you wrote.

We can’t even desalinate brackish/seawater cost-effectively; packing up and heading to Mars to make our own air — supposedly an atmosphere, too — water, food and conditioning human biology for years of space travel and living on another planet is not the answer to whatever problem you feel we need a backup planet for.

One side of your mouth says you want the astrobiology, the other says you don't.

Those specific problems would have to be solved cost-effectively to go to Mars in the first place. As almost all water on Mars is even worse than seawater when relating to salt content. The atmosphere problem on Mars is conveniently solved by the same process, which will also include fuel production... that liberates Carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, purifies the water, then cracks that water to make methane fuel.

The most likely way is via the Sabatier reaction
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-6-2019 by dubiousatworst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cravens

originally posted by: Spacespider

I always cringe at this ‘paradigm’ — yes, go to Mars and advance the the science of astrobiology, etc. I’m all for it (Mars exploration and limited habitation), but a “backup planet” is not feasible. Johannesburg almost ran out of potable water last year and a city of 10 million in India is approaching its “Zero Day”.

Hey. Anything to not have to deal with the whole overpopulating the one we have thing.

That's probably why you're not hearing much from real scientists on this kind of stuff. They know it's easier to solve the problems we have by not doing anything than it is to try and do something that's near impossible.

OTOH, making people not be stupid is also near impossible so there's that.
edit on 30-6-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

you are correct, the planet was not killed, which is why that term is not used, the term that is used is "extinction level event" ELE. so yes you are right that no earth killing asteriod has hit the earth, however there have been a few ELE.

just to deny ignorance you can say the dinousaurs are extinct, birds are not what was in the past. Unless you know of a living tricertop.

you were correct about what you said but wrong on what was being said, ya know apples and oranges and all.

Humanity is a fluke of the universe, hopefully we will survive that.

Like a virus we need to spread. (yes I pick my analogies carefully)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

never mind...I said potential planet killers...not that there have been any in the past. No need to respond to your post..

Thanks!
blend

edit on 30-6-2019 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join