It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explanation for SOME Mandela Effects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I had an epiphany today about what may be the root cause for many of the Mandela Effects.
(Not all of them.)

Some may be due to a combination of regional dialects, linguistics, and typical conversational interaction.

For an example, I saw someone discussing a product called "Swim-Ear"
They remember it being "Swimmer's Ear"

So here is what I proposed in response:

The product has probably always been Swim-Ear, but people in my state, (Southern State) have a tendency to reference products using only their local vernacular.
I always heard people conversationally call it "Swimmer's Ear".
To explore why this could happen in depth, here's an example for why this might be true:

Imagine US Copyright Law.
Most television shows and movies, if they can not secure a license or sponsorship, will create a parody of a product. Things such as calling "Frosted Flakes" in a movie, "Flakey Flakes" instead.

So, imagine if a widely broadcasted old TV show, in the days before internet access had needed to use "Swim-Ear" in a scene of the show or movie.
They may have called it "Swimmer's Ear" to get around that copyright issue.

If it's a popular show, but the general population doesn't buy the "Swim-Ear" product regularly.
Then a much more massive group of people would have come into contact with that TV show or movie, than the demographic of people who are purchasing Swim-Ear.
So, those individuals refer to it as "Swimmer's Ear" in common conversation and vernacular.

This idea would need to be experimentally tested, by psychologists and University studies, to provide it support as a real explanation.

It's a matter of how large of a group, the exposure to the incorrect versions of a "Mandela Effect" are, versus those who are exposed to the original correct source.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Or, imagine time traveling terrorists from the future constantly coming to our time frame and destroying the world.
Every time they do this, the future nations work together to patch up the past and make it good again.
It’s a race against time, literally.
Each time the future nations reset their past, it changes our now and we notice slight glitches in our memories vs the new reality.

Or could just be the better quality buds we get these days...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Very interesting.

You may be correct.

Why are you spending so much time and effort in an attempt to distort our perception?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Interesting.
That doesn't explain Dolly's braces however.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Doesn't explain the fact that people thought Mandela was dead when he wasn't and hence the phenomenon is named Mandela effect...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I always thought anyone who thinks the effect is anything other than the infallible brain, or as you say miscommunication, is conceited and arrogant.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Monsieur Neary

No I have pondered this one quite a bit as I clearly remember her having braces, that was the whole point too with how she clicked with jaws...

My thought is that in the original film she does in fact wear braces but someone photoshopped the clip and uploaded it to YouTube. How many people would have copy’s of the original vhs to disprove it?

That’s the thing about the digital age, all information can be doctored to have it appear any way you want. A fantastic way of controlling the narrative and perceptions. Words can literally be put in people’s mouths. Very troubling when you think about it.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary
Interesting.
That doesn't explain Dolly's braces however.

I saw this film in the movies. Dolly definitely had braces.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blastoff

Who,s Dolly anyway?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Have never heard of a 'product' named "Swim-Ear", nor "Swimmer's Ear".
Always thought it was an ear condition, and not a 'product'.

Could you please provide a link or reference to this 'product'?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Have never heard of a 'product' named "Swim-Ear", nor "Swimmer's Ear".
Always thought it was an ear condition, and not a 'product'.

Could you please provide a link or reference to this 'product'?

Has your Google broken? By the time you wrote this reply you could have answered your own question.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Hmmmm. Understand, and don't post like that.

Searched both terms yesterday with Google, and no products came-up.
Only found comments on the condition.

Today: boom! There it is: "Swim-Ear".

Perhaps that is another Mandellla Effect?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Or, more rationally, people are simply remembering things *wrong*. I suspect due to social media and the prevalence of mass media using pop culture references, usually out of context, to sell or advertise something.

As this article reports, Half of people believe fake facts, 'remember' events that never happened

But of course, the MElievers will have you believe CERN is opening timeshifts, or HAARP is changing reality, when neither are true and don't make for fun-time reading on fringe websites

edit on 28-6-2019 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
Or, more rationally, people are simply remembering things *wrong*. I suspect due to social media and the prevalence of mass media using pop culture references, usually out of context, to sell or advertise something.

As this article reports, Half of people believe fake facts, 'remember' events that never happened

But of course, the MElievers will have you believe CERN is opening timeshifts, or HAARP is changing reality, when neither are true and don't make for fun-time reading on fringe websites

Can you see the irrationality of that last sentence?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I always thought anyone who thinks the effect is anything other than the infallible brain, or as you say miscommunication...

These along with that mistaken idea repeated elsewhere in mass culture, and then that repeated mistake gets repeated again, until instances of the mistaken information become more prevalent than the original.

edit on 6/28/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Searched both terms yesterday with Google, and no products came-up.
Only found comments on the condition.

Today: boom! There it is: "Swim-Ear".

Perhaps that is another Mandellla Effect?

Your google must have been broken. Upon reading you post yesterday, I did a Google search for it because I had never heard of the product "Swim-Ear" either. My Google responded just fine with product information and where to buy it.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Interesting theory!

But how does that apply to Stouffer's Stove Top Stuffing never existing,

and there only ever being Kraft Stove Top Stuffing ?

when even celebrities

and food software CEO:

specificaly remember Stouffer's not just Stove Top Stuffing nor Kraft; in the old ads, Kraft isn't even on the box

but for other Kraft products even back in '73, the brand is boldly on the products and in the ads:

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: letni
Interesting theory!

But how does that apply to Stouffer's Stove Top Stuffing never existing,

and there only ever being Kraft Stove Top Stuffing ?

Alliteration. the beginning of "STOVe Top" and "STOUFfers" both sound alike. So it's an easy mistake to think that it's "Stouffers Stovetop" because it rolls off the tongue.

when even celebrities

I'm not sure how that matters. They are humans too with the same human ability to make mistakes and to so be inclined (in this case) to go with the "Stouffers Stovetop Stuffing" alliteration.

edit on 6/28/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
But the last 2 YT vids showcase how Kraft doesn't brandish its logo anywhere on 'Stove Top' stuffing (how vague!)

yet does for other products' in the same year.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: letni
But the last 2 YT vids showcase how Kraft doesn't brandish its logo anywhere on 'Stove Top' stuffing (how vague!)

yet does for other products' in the same year.

Branding is a funny thing.

Kraft may have done studies to find that people see "Stove Top" as its own brand, and thus Kraft may feel that they'd be better off pushing the Stove Top name as a brand in this particular case rather than pushing the Kraft name.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join