It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favourite Sci-Fi Book?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm sure this thread has probably been started a few times, but can't see anything recent so i though i would start my own.

I've always loved reading science fiction novels.
I read my first one nearly 30 years ago in 1990 or 1991 - i can't quite remember.
I've gone through periods of reading quite a few in a short time, particularly if they'e in a series and then i might go quite a while, sometimes a few years, without reading any more sci-fi. But i always come back to the genre and if i can't find one i like the look of (whether it's old or new) i often go back and read some of my favourites again.

I could post a long list of books, but i thought i would keep it quite short. Hopefully i haven't given too much away for anyone that hasn't read any of these books.

Post your thoughts on these, your own lists or your favourite authors or style of sci-fi
I purposely didn't include fantasy as i haven't read many of those.

Eon & Eternity by Greg Bear.

These are probably my favourites of all. I just loved the Way, the cities/chambers, alternate universes and timelines, the cold war aspect (seems outdated now, but were written in the 1980's), the story of an alternate Earth starting again after nuclear war and sending off a group of humans on a generational ship. There was a third book (Legacy) set before the first 2, but i never really got into that one.

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C Clarke.

When i first read this back in about 1992 i thought it was incredible. The imagination and science to conceive the giant deserted start ship and the investigation by humans in the not too distant future. Loved it. I read all the sequels, which were written with Gentry Lee. Rama II was really good, but it started to lose it's way a bit with Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed. I later learned Clarke had little input into the sequels (as he was quite old by this point and winding down his writing), they were mainly written by Lee with Clarke just giving his general approval. Since Lee had little writing background his main input was on the scientific side and his wife wrote most of the characters....and it showed. I can't read the last 2 books now without getting really annoyed by the characters

Ringworld by Larry Niven.

Incredible imagination and i can't believe this book is nearly 50 years old now. I love the investigation aspect of the Ringworld and the whole universe created in the story. In 2001 i remember being around a mates house. He'd just bought an xbox and was playing halo. As soon as i saw the 'Halo' world i said to him 'that's exactly like Ringworld from Larry Niven' and i'm pretty sure that's where they got their inspiration from.

The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke.

I loved the way this story is set way in the future with the last remaining city on Earth, how society has developed and become introverted, except for 1 person, and how he goes to investigate what's outside the city. This book was first published in 1956. Seems incredible to me!

Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds.

My favourite recent sci-fi book, well recent-ish (2005) compared to the ones above. Had me hooked straightaway. The characters, a moon of Saturn leaving the solar system and what happens after. Epic. Soon as i had finished i was disappointed to find there wasn't a sequel, but i read somewhere a while back that he might revisit this universe and write another book - I hope so!

Sub Notes

1. I've always thought Eon/Eternity but especially Rendezvous with Rama would have made really good films. They've tried to get Rama off the ground as a movie a few times but it's never quite happened. On the other hand, movies rarely end up being as good as the books so maybe this is a good thing.

2. You can probably tell from my list i quite the BDO (Big Dumb Object) style of sci-fi. Not really sure why, perhaps I've always thought this might be closest to what may happen in reality. A large object discovered in the solar system with human investigation and incredible marvels revealed....

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I knew you were a Clark fan from your name.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Yep, you got me!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
First sci-fi I read as teenager was I robot by Asimov which hooked me. I also loved Dune but think the Saga of Pliocene Exile, Intervention and Milieu Trilogy by Julian May was the best sci-fi books I have read.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Yes, i liked I Robot and Dune too (I'm probably in a small minority that actually liked the Dune film too, as long as its the right version).

Haven't read anything by Julian May - Will have to check those books out. Thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Diaspar

Dan Simmons' Hyperion, read it.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The Dune miniseries was great I thought.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Ummm...My favorite...How on earth can anyone have a favorite...?

There's just too many really good books and Authors...and I'm a SCI-FI junkie...

If I had to name one...one from the early years origin of Sci-Fi...it would be...Edgar Rice Burroughs..."A Princess of Mars"...

I cut my sci-fi teeth on that book when I was five or six...back in the mid sixties...

Quite possibly one of the major levers that moved my curiosity quotient into full blown addiction...and provided the impetus for much of my own...musings...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The Hyperion series has always been on my list to read and never got round to for some reason or another.
Judging by your response i should make the time!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Isaac asimov's foundation series, next in line frank herbert's dune series, followed by Koontz, Carpe Noctem.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I would have to go with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the only 5 book trilogy.) Douglas Adams.

I'm partial to Alan Dean Foster as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Dan Simmons' Hyperion, read it.

Ummm...Ahhh…

"Alas Endymion"...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I would have to say that the classics by either H.G. Wells or Jules Verne will always be my favorites. Credit goes to my Dad for that because he thought girls should read something more than your typical "girlie" books back in the day when we were made fun of for such. Go Dad!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Martian Chronicles

Ray Bradbury

I should give a wave to his "There Will Come Soft Rains" as my favorite scifi short story.
edit on 6/26/2019 by Creep Thumper because: ETA.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Um, well in brief...

One of my formative favourites was the Culture series by Iain M Banks; Excession being one of the best, alongside the Consider Phlebas.

Alastair Reynolds is an amazing author with some amazing books – esp. the Revelation Space (Inhibitor) Trilogy, which has it all. Also, anything by Peter F. Hamilton is pretty damned good, particularly the Greg Mandel series.

I could go on.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Such a great series.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Truly unique.

Super imaginative.

Like no sci-fi you have ever read I promise.

Imajica
en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: Wow man I am so sorry.
I must be inebriated or something.

Yes that book is one of my all time favorites and yes it is all those things I said except......it's fantasy not sci-fi.
It's about magic not science.

Not sure what I was thinking but anyone that loves fantasy should check it out.
edit on 26-6-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

'The Mote in God's Eye' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle remains my favorite.

Kind Regards,

Bally

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

No Worries!

Since i hadn't heard of it i had a quick check and it does seem intriguing, although it is from the mind that brought us 'Hellraiser' which i always thought was totally weird tbh!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Wheel of Time is my favorite fantasy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join